I'm not sure if it's me or not..but...

Bexx

Question

Hallo

I think I might be making my stitches too tight - yet when I make them looser, I still get the same effect. :(

The project is a basic cap - the ones I try for infant's and the adult one's too.

For instance this pattern: ch3 join with sl st

Row 1: ch3 (for 1st dbl) dc 10 in loop, join with sl st (11 st. total)

Row 2: ch 3, 3dc in ech dc, join w/sl st

Row 3: ch3, dc in next dc, 2dc in next

and so on - now, I have another pattern for a beret that pretty much follows the exact same method, only it uses single stitches. The problem I have is when I reach the 4th row - the edges start doing these little waves, they don't lie down flat as if it were a coaster. :irk

Does this pattern gradually start to straighten out - or is my stitching too tight? I just can't figure it out. I have tried to make them loose, but when I get to the 5th row - it starts the wave effect. I should mention it's only one to two sides of the circle that makes a little "bump". So could it be that the stitch method is too close together? I have tried to skip a chain instead of having them side by side according to directions - and it does seem to level it out BUT I get odd little "holes" then, and it's not so uniform.

:think

Help.

:lol

9 answers to this question

Rippling usually means too many increases in my experience. Sometimes that's just a personal tension thing and you have to adjust. What I would do is try working even rather than making increases for one row at the point where you're seeing the rippling, then keep going according to the pattern and see if that flattens things out. I tend to have that happen with hats, too, and usually a row/round without increases here and there fixes it.

Hope that helps!

Rippling usually means too many increases in my experience. Sometimes that's just a personal tension thing and you have to adjust. What I would do is try working even rather than making increases for one row at the point where you're seeing the rippling, then keep going according to the pattern and see if that flattens things out. I tend to have that happen with hats, too, and usually a row/round without increases here and there fixes it.

Hope that helps!

That is a possibility I did not consider, thanks! I will check into it tonight when I settle in for my project and James Spader, too...:D

For hats and such, I usually do 12 dc in the ring (which includes the first ch 3 'dc') then on row 2, 2dc in each stitch. Row 3 would be 2dc in first st, 1dc in next. Row 4 - 2dc in 1 st, 1dc in next 2. Or as I say it when I'm doing it, 2:2 - 2:1,2 - 2:1,2,3, ....

When I'm counting the increases I find myself counting in two languages (I'm not fluent in anything but English.. but I can count to ten in three languages and higher in two lol)

So I'd say One, two... Uno, dos, tres. I find this helps me at times when someone talks to me or otherwise distracts me while I'm counting. I'll remember better where I am if the last number I said was English or not. I do much less frogging this way lol.

well I didn't work on the cap yet, I had to unravel 3 rows of single chains on my Mom's scarf :angry because my stitches were too tight. You wouldn't need to iron this puppy :lol sc's I can do without looking, and I was intent on Boston Legal, but that 1,2, 1,2, thing - I made an easier method -- I always stop at 2, so if someone starts yakking at me or I have to go the bathroom, I always remember to pick up again at 1.

I will try it tonight, her scarf will be done but I can't say for the fringes, might bother with that tomorrow. Then I DO need to master these caps - I have tons of baby yarn and a Children's Hospital isn't too far from me, I wanted to whip up as many as I could with matching mittens/booties before the holidays start. Not to mention for my own head before the rain flies. :lol

The biggest thing with hats is keeping track of your count. If you get off, it'll create funkiness in your flat part (it won't be flat lol) Once you find a system that works for you, you'll be off and running =) I discovered hats last year and made more than I can count lol. They work up very quickly, so you get instant gratification lol. Baby hats work up in mere minutes.

If you get stuck, just come here to the crochet help thread =) Seems like someone is always around now that our membership has grown so much =)

When I'm counting the increases I find myself counting in two languages (I'm not fluent in anything but English.. but I can count to ten in three languages and higher in two lol)

So I'd say One, two... Uno, dos, tres. I find this helps me at times when someone talks to me or otherwise distracts me while I'm counting. I'll remember better where I am if the last number I said was English or not. I do much less frogging this way lol.

Oh good! I'm not the only one who does this! :lol

it seems to be working - not increasing too much. the rippling is gone - so now it looks more like a flat, dress-less coaster. :lol If i pretend I am making a coaster up to a certain point, it's a lot easier.

Thanks for the advice, all.

When I can get them done, I will have to fall back on a regular camera. My software for the digital doesn't work on WinXP :( I have to go buy one of their stupid upgrade CD's.

Archived