yarn_monkey

How long do you wait for payment & delivery?

I hope this is the right place to post this question... I'm desperate for help! :blush

Back at the end of May, my ex-husband's first wife (mother of my ex-stepkids) was having another baby and asked me to make her baby blanket. We agreed on a price and she said she would put a check in the mail. I finished up what I had been working on at the time, and started working on her baby blanket. By the end of July/beginning of August, I was finished and still hadn't received payment. She lives about an hour and a half away, so just meeting up or dropping by hasn't been an option.

So in the middle of August, my fiance and I were taking a short weekend trip and driving more or less by her house, so I offered to stop by to bring the blanket. At the last minute, she texted me and said she was in the middle of family things and she would just meet up with me over the weekend since I was in her neck of the woods. I said to just text or call whenever, we would be around. I never heard anything.

I messaged her on Facebook shortly after we got back in town and asked her what she wanted me to do. She said she would be in my area for a doctor's appointment that week and she would stop by my work afterwards. Then she said something came up and she had to take off to Hampton.

We have attempted this meet up several times and now the baby is here and it's 3 months later. I've offered to ship mulitiple times at an additional charge, but she doesn't want to do that.

Now I'm out the money I've paid for the yarn and my time and I still have a hot pink and green baby blanket I don't exactly need. Needless to say I won't do this again and have completely learned my lesson, but what do I do now? How much longer (if at all) should I wait and what do I say to her?

At this point, I would just let it go and wait and see if someone else you know needs a baby blanket. Otherwise, donate the blanket. You will make a someone very happy doing that.

I guess in the future, you need to tell people to at least give your the money for the yarn in advance.

At this point, I would just let it go and wait and see if someone else you know needs a baby blanket. Otherwise, donate the blanket. You will make a someone very happy doing that.

I guess in the future, you need to tell people to at least give your the money for the yarn in advance.

I always ask for half of the total up front, and that's what I did with her. She said she would send it all and I just went on with making it, assuming that it was coming and that it wouldn't be an issue. From now on, I don't buy or start anything until I have money in my hand! :2nono

Thanks for your input! :hug

I always ask for half of the total up front, and that's what I did with her. She said she would send it all and I just went on with making it, assuming that it was coming and that it wouldn't be an issue. From now on, I don't buy or start anything until I have money in my hand! :2nono

Thanks for your input! :hug

I had the same problem, people wanted stuff made, I'd be trusting and go ahead and make it, then they'd never pay and I'd hear excuse after excuse. Now I figure out how much yarn I need, then get payment for the yarn up front. I don't buy until they pay.

Hard to believe people would do things like that, but life happens.

Since you are on Etsy and Facebook, have you thought about selling it there???

Hard to believe people would do things like that, but life happens.

Since you are on Etsy and Facebook, have you thought about selling it there???

That's what I was thinking about doing. I just wasn't sure if I should wait any longer to do it, or say something to her first, or just list it on Etsy! :think Am I seriously frustrated by this whole thing!

Have you asked her flat out? It sounds like there's a lot of tip toeing.

You could also kinda back door it by telling her she needs to put a stop payment on the check because you never got it.

I would ask when she plans on paying for it. If you have to - give her an end date and see if you can sell it on etsy or ebay.

Have you asked her flat out? It sounds like there's a lot of tip toeing.

You could also kinda back door it by telling her she needs to put a stop payment on the check because you never got it.

I would ask when she plans on paying for it. If you have to - give her an end date and see if you can sell it on etsy or ebay.

I just sent her a message on facebook saying I never received the check and that I know the baby is here and what she wanted to do.

I am so non-confrontational that it is not even funny! :blush

It sounds like she's avoiding you. It's almost 5 months now.

Confrontation doesn't really bother me. Maybe another facebook message telling her that you need to be paid for your work?

I would send her a message on Facebook telling her that she has 7 days to pay for the item or the item would be sold/ donated. I hate that this happened to you, but the blanket you made will be a true blessing to someone who DESERVES IT!

The minimum I require up front on stuff made for profit is that all of my yarn be bought at their expense before the item is started. They are updated on the project's progress along the way (if requested) and payment is due in full upon receiving the item. I charge more for rush or more complicated items. All estimates and designs are determined upfront, including the type of yarn and pricing. Logo items also cost more, depending on how much design work I have to put into it.

I would rather crochet for charity, so I often make items if the person will buy me TWICE THE AMOUNT OF YARN NEEDED FOR THEIR PROJECT --- then I can make one for them and make one to donate to charity. I would almost rather have people buy me yarn in exchange for me making them something than for them to pay me money. My heart is in the charity work and I make that very clear from the get go!

I have had similar things happen. I now tell people what yarn to purchase and my

fee for the item. They purchase the yarn and pay 1/2 of fee upfront and the remainder when their project is complete. They sign a contract. I give them 30 days to pick up the item and pay the remainder due. Once they invest money

they always pick up the item.

It's amazing how many people back out of asking for things (especially afghans) when I tell them "Sure, when do you want to go to the store so you can pay for the yarn?" I don't have a yarn tree in the backyard.

When my daughter was little I made a ghan for her bestest friend. Apparently, the mother thought that meant I would be making ghans for her other children as well. No - not out of my pocket. I would've if she would've purchased the yarn for the other ghans.

I sent her a facebook message yesterday at about 1. It shows as read at a little bit before 5 yesterday evening. Still havent heard anything back. I think i'll let it go the rest of today and see if she responds. If not I'm telling her it will be going up on my Etsy and if she still wants it, shes welcome to purchase it through there.

Its so frustrating! Every time i sent her a picture or progress update, she sounded so excited and happy about it. Hopefully someone else will want a lime green and hot pink baby blanket!

It's amazing how many people back out of asking for things (especially afghans) when I tell them "Sure, when do you want to go to the store so you can pay for the yarn?" I don't have a yarn tree in the backyard.

When my daughter was little I made a ghan for her bestest friend. Apparently, the mother thought that meant I would be making ghans for her other children as well. No - not out of my pocket. I would've if she would've purchased the yarn for the other ghans.

I have all sorts of people back out when i tell them i need half up front. I don't think they understand how much money, time and effort go into what we make. Its just not worth the risk if its something we dont want or won't use personally.

I think it's better that they back out as soon as they find out it's not free. At least then you don't get stuck making it and paying for it.

I hope this works out for you. I wouldn't count on it - but I hope it does.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've also had so many people con me, or try to con me out of my work in the past. This woman has avoided you too many times to make anyone think she intends to pay you.

Realistically, it would have been far easier to have mailed the blanket to her, and it seems like most women would have wanted it there by the time the baby arrived. It only makes sense that she would have mailed you a check and had you mail the blanket to her, instead of all this confusion.

I think she was happy with everything at first and then realized that she didn't want to part with the $35 (or $45 mailed) and didn't know how to say it, so she figured she would just let me do all the work and avoid avoid avoid.

I certainly don't see it turning out well, considering she saw my FB message and has made multiple posts since (just not to me).

Well it's an exception that I made once and will never, ever make again. If somebody can't understand that, then they don't really want what I'm making anyway! :hook

Just let it go and consider this a lesson learned, I wouldn't contact her again, nor confront her. If you see her don't bring it up, if she does say you donated it to charity since she didn't seem to want it. PERIOD!! Sending messages back and forth isn't getting you anywhere or any money. Everyone has been there, now I tell people if you buy the yarn I will make it, if not I do not make anything!!

I know how strange it is, but when it comes to getting things for free, people suddenly see themselves as related by association, if you know what I mean. She probably thought right along that you were "practically" related, and anyway, this was for a baby, not for her. If she stalled long enough on paying you, you'd have angst over the blanket being there on time for the baby's birth, and get it to her even if she hadn't paid you yet.

An amazing number of people have wanted things I've made for sisters and friends, but are upset if they have to pay or can't have it by tomorrow. I think that is such nerve, it leaves me sputtering!

And really, it doesn't matter what your craft is either ~ they still exspect it for free, as if you didn't have to buy the materials, invest in the tools, and spend your time making the items. These people are just rude and crude.