Sign in to follow this  
moxie

manly, or not-feminine, capelet/wrap pattern (for my elderly dad)

Question

Looking for something to make for my dad that will stay on his shoulders that's not too frilly/lacey/feminine. Been looking for something w/o armholes, like a capelet, so it's easy getting on and off. He's not a fan of wearing pretty things so I'm having trouble finding the right pattern! :hook

7 answers to this question

I can see this shawl having great potential to look masculine. The original size would probably not have to be altered for a man either. Eliminate the scalloped border and find out what your dad's favorite color is then use colors in darker hues. The Lion Brand Homespun yarn has some very nice color tones that can look masculine such as Prairie, Earth or Edwardian. Not to mention, the pattern would work up fast too.

Maybe a few other 'Ville members have other yarn suggestions for a man. Keep us posted on how you do. Would love to see what you decide on.

Looking for something to make for my dad that will stay on his shoulders that's not too frilly/lacey/feminine. Been looking for something w/o armholes, like a capelet, so it's easy getting on and off. He's not a fan of wearing pretty things so I'm having trouble finding the right pattern! :hook

Raccoon,

I started on this one first, after I saw your reply. With 2 strands of worsted and I think size N hook; a small but warm lap robe I can finish quickly! Such a nice looking yet simple pattern. Thank you so much for posting.

Webfeet,

Thank you, that's exactly what I had in mind. I'm going to make this next with the same yarn as the lap robe I'm working on, so he'll have a matching set. Thanks again!

I can see this shawl having great potential to look masculine. The original size would probably not have to be altered for a man either. Eliminate the scalloped border and find out what your dad's favorite color is then use colors in darker hues. The Lion Brand Homespun yarn has some very nice color tones that can look masculine such as Prairie, Earth or Edwardian. Not to mention, the pattern would work up fast too.

Maybe a few other 'Ville members have other yarn suggestions for a man. Keep us posted on how you do. Would love to see what you decide on.

Thanks ReniC! That website isn't loading for me right now, but I'll give it another try later on. I happen to have "inherited" 4 big balls of Homespun and have been wondering for a few years what to do with them! I would think they'd make a great warm & cozy shawl.

You probably need to sign up as a member (free) to view their 1000's of patterns. :)

Thanks ReniC! That website isn't loading for me right now, but I'll give it another try later on. I happen to have "inherited" 4 big balls of Homespun and have been wondering for a few years what to do with them! I would think they'd make a great warm & cozy shawl.