Help -Corner to corner - I think this is written wrong! FINISHED post 13

badrhinogillett

Question

Well, I have been without my Crochet Mojo for a long time now... A friend's daughter is adopting a baby and the shower is next week... no better time to locate my mojo than now.

I went and got some yarn at Michael's and picked up a free pattern there.... and I think it's wrong. I'm following directions and it's not looking right. It's a corner to corner granny style blanket.

4th row - CH4, 3dc in first ch-1sp *Ch 1, Miss next 3 dc, 3dc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * across ending wtih 3dc in last ch-1 sp. Ch1. 1dc in 3rd ch of turning ch. Turn. (this is the pattern repeat row)

Beg decreasing: Next row: Ch 3. miss first ch-1 sp and next 3dc. *3d in next ch-1 sp. Ch1. Miss next 3dc. Rep from * to last 2 ch1 sps. 3dc in next ch1 sp. Miss next 3dc and next ch-1 sp. 1dc in 3rd ch of turning ch. Turn.

Next row. Ch 3. Miss next 3 dc. 3dc in next ch-1 sp. Miss next 3dc. 3dc in next ch-1. Rep from * across ending with 1dc in top of turning ch. Turn.

Here's my question. I'm doing the "next row" which is the pattern repeat for the decrease. However, the afghan isnt' turning out square.... and I think that it's written incorrectly. From the 4th row, aren't I increasing by the 3dc on each side of the row? Therefore, shouldn't I be decreasing by 3dc on each side of the row? Shouldn't I be skipping the final ch-1 sp and just putting the 1dc in the top of the turning ch?

Thanks for any help - I appreciate it.

14 answers to this question

Is it this one? Can also be found here. I started it ages ago and had no trouble starting it but then someone said they looked at the pattern and thought there was an issue with the stripes coming out right on the other end so being unsure I scrapped it and ripped out what I started. The pattern does not come out square if it's the one I posted, it starts in the corner and goes to the other corner. If not that pattern find the link on the michaels site to the one you have so we can see. Mary

Next row. Ch 3. Miss next 3 dc. 3dc in next ch-1 sp. Miss next 3dc. 3dc in next ch-1. Rep from * across ending with 1dc in top of turning ch. Turn.

Here's my question. I'm doing the "next row" which is the pattern repeat for the decrease. However, the afghan isnt' turning out square.... and I think that it's written incorrectly. From the 4th row, aren't I increasing by the 3dc on each side of the row? Therefore, shouldn't I be decreasing by 3dc on each side of the row? Shouldn't I be skipping the final ch-1 sp and just putting the 1dc in the top of the turning ch?

Thanks for any help - I appreciate it.

I would say unless it's written wrong, yes you should be decreasing at either side either the double or a slip stitch. Sorry, when I posted the pattern I didn't realize the one you're working on is 'granny' style. But read over the directions anyhow.

I would say unless it's written wrong, yes you should be decreasing at either side either the double or a slip stitch. Sorry, when I posted the pattern I didn't realize the one you're working on is 'granny' style. But read over the directions anyhow.

Great, so I"m going to skip the last 3Dc group and just put a DC in the top of the turning chain. Hopefully that will help. Fortunately, I only need to frog 3 rows.

This pattern is apparently square, so yes, for the first half, you should be increasing on each end of the row, and for the second half, you should be decreasing on each end of the row, however you might need to adjust the pattern as written to accomplish that.

I've never seen a diagonal pattern like a granny square before - it looks like it would be quick to make up for charity baby blankets. I've bookmarked it to try someday.

Thank you for your help. I got the pattern to work by using the adjustments we discussed. It worked up really quickly. The picture makes this look very dark... the dark area is navy blue and then it's red. The nursery isn't being done in baby colors- it's a sailor theme and this matches the colors in the nursery.

post-2886-135897779488_thumb.jpg

The changes were to this row:

Instad, I followed those directions, but skipped the last 3d and just put the dc in the top of the turning ch.

Archived