yarn help!!!

rosiegirl15

Question

so i have this problem with my yarn where it gets tangled all together and i have to go and untangle it quite a bit. does anyone else have that problem and do you have any suggestions? it just gets tiring to have to untangle all that yarn. you all know what i mean....:(

20 answers to this question

I think spinner thing is a much more accurate name than yarn swift. That sounds like some kind of crafted bird. So I move the gadgets henceforth officially be Spinner Things :lol

Now, we just need to notify all the manufacturers and sellers.

By the way, I am so in love with my yarn winder! :manyheart Worth every penny.

The only real fix is to take the time to untangle it and roll it up into a ball or cake.

I despise it when the yarn gets tangled while I am working. Good thing about it though is you can roll your yarn into a cake (or I call it the inside out yarn ball) without having to frog any of your work.

When I have a paticular troublesome yarn, I so the same. Roll it into a cake and I use it from the inside. I also have what RoseRed has. It is great when you finish a project and some yarn left from the skein. It saves the untagling and makes it easier to store.:D

When I have yarn that does that I wind it into a cake. I know that the cakes are center pull but I use them from the outside. Just like a regular center pull skein- they'll eventually collapse in on themselves.

They're totally worth every penny. Just remember that they are only made of plastic. Occasionally, the yarn can snag (usually coming out of the skein). Don't try to continue winding - the plastic gear can and will break. If it starts to click - fix the yarn. I'm on my 2nd one of the same model - the mistake was mine.

When I have yarn that does that I wind it into a cake. I know that the cakes are center pull but I use them from the outside. Just like a regular center pull skein- they'll eventually collapse in on themselves.

How do you do that?

I have a electric..some use a thing..nostpen? or something like that to hand wind. There are also crank winders out there too. I LOVE my yarn winder!

I agree.....The yarn winder was the greatest present I ever recieved. No more tangles.

A cake is a ball of yarn, wound with a ball-winder, that isn't exactly round (as it would be if you wound by hand with no tool), it's more cylindrical. It pulls from the center. You can make a center-pull ball by hand too, wrap it around a stick, folded up paper towel roll, whatever as a makeshift nostepinne (fancy name for a windy around stick).

Here is one tutorial to make a center pull ball by hand, there are oodles out there - this uses a knitting needle

http://blog.lionbrand.com/2012/07/13/keep-yarn-organized-learn-how-to-wind-a-center-pull-ball-by-hand/

Oh, you're gonna have a ball. You'll be winding everything in sight lololol.

Just remember to use a slight tension when you're winding. I usually just lightly hold onto the yarn before it goes thru the metal feed guide. It won't take long for you to find what tension you're happy with.

I only work with worsted weight red heart type yarn so don't have tangles. I pull it out from the side and use these yarn containers in various sizes and love them. Got them at the craft store with 50% off coupons. I was half tempted to use my 60% off coupon last weekend on the boye yarn winder at Joane's but I don't use yarns that really need to be rewound. If I do need to wind I use this tutorial for a center pull ball and it works great. Mary

Thanks for the warning Michele - I'll heed your good advice. I spent the morning crocheting and fantasizing about how much fun I'm going to have when it arrives. I just had the ship notification from Joann.com. This sounds like the best toy I'll have found for a long time!

I've looked at these, but didn't know if they were worth it. You've convinced me. Thanks for the recommendations! Actually, if I had noticed all the rave reviews at Joann, I would probably have gotten one long ago. I just got paid for a couple of baby afghans so I ordered one - with a 50% off coupon. I can't wait for it to arrive!

thank-you all for your help! i am very slow at times... :lol

i'm going to watch that tutorial for sure!! :yay

BTW i'm going to post some new things in my etsy shop today! i would love it if you would come and check it out!

Abbie

then you need a spinner thing for the yarn that comes in hanks.... yeah..spinner thing...:rolleyes

I have the spinner thing also and love it. My husband loves it too as he used to have that job. :devil

It took me a while but I finally :clap remembered that thing is called a yarn swift (reminds me of an umbrella).

Archived