Jimbo Hook Auction in progress

jimbo

Several Jimbo hooks are up for bids in my blog, including the Peace Hook (made of Olive Wood) and the Bois de Rose hook (said to be the most beautiful wood in the world) plus some others. Come on over and take a look!

Thanks to all, too who entered the ICD contest!

Jimbo

I would say a sorta kinda yes. They're in line, but the head style is a little different than your typical Bates (a little longer and deeper throat and slightly more pronounced yarn guides). I've made some sorta kinda Boye style hooks but they're a LOT more difficult to make because of the larger-than-shank heads.

PS I like your Lincoln quote!

Oh, I'm sure there's a few.

Anyways, I forgot to mention another difference between my hooks and Bates. I taper the lip. With Bates hooks, the lip (meaning the very edge of the hookey part) pretty much follows the curve of the shank, like a plane cutting through a cylinder. I taper that part back so the edge lip more closely resembles the tip of the hook, so in that regard, my hooks are a bit Boye-like.

I really don't think there are many wooden hook makers who make a true Boye. They'll taper the neck of the hook, and do longer throats but you'll rarely see a true Boye head on a handmade hook, with that little part of the head that extends out above the shank.

Now don't you wish you hadn't got me started.

Oh and I'm quite sure that wasn't a Lincoln quote. If I remember right, it was Edison. heh

Archived