September 2012 Charity CAL! 9/20-9/25

Skysmom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all :ghug

I took yesterday off just to be sure and it seems much better, I got one motif to the 3rd round this am and it is 5". This bodes well for my lapghan plans as it means I would only need 48 squares instead of the 63 I thought I would need.

@Denise... I'll keep praying.

...and thanks for you kind words on the kid's cardi. it was quick to make and lots of fun too.

Hi Ladies. :)

Denise ~ Sending gentle hugs to your mom and you, too. :hug

Donna ~ Two lapghans going at the same time! :cheer I haven't seen the RHSS Williamsburg - I think some colors are "rougher" than others. :think

Hi purples! We're glad you're here. :manyheart

cshort ~ 'Hope you get some time with your hook today!

Our 2 year old grandson will be here for the weekend, so I'm going to crochet all I can today. :lol

Denise - I hope your mom is better today.

I'm almost finished with one of the lapghans. When I left for work this afternoon I only had three sides of the sc border round to go, and then, sigh, a boatload of ends to weave in. On this one, I didn't do in bits as I went along. Partly because there is a single row of V-st in a dark red between the stripes and I knew I wouldn't really have anything to weave those tails into until I had the red border on. But I wish, in vain, I had done some of the others already! I can probably get it finished after work tonight.

I may get a bit more done on the other one in the morning, but it's chancy. I'll try to get pics up Sunday.

Welcome, Cindy! What color is your lapghan?

Thanks! I am using scraps of blue along with a black pounder. I am doing the two strands together. I have been working on this for a while now so hope to make some progress in the next few days on it.

Good Morning! It's early, but I hope to crochet for a bit before we pick up our grandson. :)

Donna ~ Oh, those pesky ends! ;) I'm working on another 'ghan with v-stitches, so I'm trying to weave them every 3 or 4 rows...but it's hard to stop when you're on a roll! :lol

Hi Cindy ~ Your two-strand granny sounds really pretty! :yes We're glad you're here.

pineknott ~ Yay for completing 9 squares already! :cheer

Well it is not much but I have some squares started. If we can pick our own days I think I will count from Fri - Wed. as I lost Thursday.

This is looking to be quite pretty in a scrappy sort of way.

Hope all is doing nicely for all.

I didn't get the lapghan finished last night. In fact, I didn't even pick it up when I got home. One of my student workers called in late. Her stepfather had just died, and I didn't have anyone else to put in her place this morning, and no one to put in my place tonight -- except me. So I'm working a dreary double shift today, 9 am to 11 pm. My usual bedtime is around 3 a.m but I obviously had to turn in earlier than that if I had any hope of getting here this morning. I'll have a lot of crochet time. I have a few hours actual work, but the library is almost empty and for most of that, I'll just be sitting at the circulation desk trying to entertain myself and not die of boredom. Probably checking Crochetville and one other forum about every five minutes by evening, hoping that someone, anyone, has written something, anything, for me to read :lol

So the good news is that I'll get a lot of crocheting done. The relatively bad news is that it will be other random projects that were still small enough to bring to work, not the things nearing completion. Tonight I'll check in with a final report on what I got done on my modified 6 day stint. :hook

If I can keep my eyes open by then and tedium hasn't turned me to stone....

Just while ago I was chatting with the director who is also working here today. She has seen me crocheting here and told her I hoped she didn't mind. She said not at all, she was fine with it. Imagine - Official Permission to Crochet at Work! I had always felt somewhat guilty about it because I know our last director would have had a stroke - not professional behavior. I am scrupulous though about never working on anything here that I am being paid for in any way. Only charity work during the hours the hospital is paying me to be here to keep the library open.

I have to say though that the conversation made my day. She also said that in their meetings more and more people are sitting there knitting or crocheting while they listen.

Just while ago I was chatting with the director who is also working here today. She has seen me crocheting here and told her I hoped she didn't mind. She said not at all, she was fine with it. Imagine - Official Permission to Crochet at Work! I had always felt somewhat guilty about it because I know our last director would have had a stroke - not professional behavior. I am scrupulous though about never working on anything here that I am being paid for in any way. Only charity work during the hours the hospital is paying me to be here to keep the library open.

I have to say though that the conversation made my day. She also said that in their meetings more and more people are sitting there knitting or crocheting while they listen.

That is wonderful that you can crochet during these quiet hours. It is so cool, I wish I could that when things are quiet and all my work is done. Best wishes on your charity project.

5 more squares to add to today's count,for a total of 23

Yea on 5 more squares done! :cheer:cheer

I'm going to have to throw in the towel and just make some hats. I can't get anything finished with the ghan so I'll keep it for another time.

As I always say... when in doubt; make a hat.

Your hats are wonderful Darski and your charity will so appreciate them! :manyheart

I worked hard on my scrap rectangle granny last night. Here is a pic of the progress. It measures 33 inches long by 24 inches wide at this point. I know I need a few more rounds for sure but I'm not sure of the best measurements for a lapghan for a nursing home. I'd love to hear from you all as to the best size to go with this. I'm running low on blues to use and don't really want to buy more yarn for this project.

post-10977-13589777929_thumb.jpg

The lapghans I make are 36 x 48, give or take a bit. That's a good lap size, and also apparently works pretty well with a wheelchair. I would say the best thing to do is to test on yourself. Sit in a comfortable chair and see when it feels large enough. I'm short, so a shorter one would work for me.

Do you have another compatible color you could use if you run out of blue? a purple or green maybe? Since it's done from the center out, you could get by with a change.

My six days officially ended last night with not a stitch more done. I was too wiped out when I got home to do anything.

So my "charity blitz" as someone called (I loved that) ended with:

Cornmeal lapghan, about 98% done

Copper lapghan, just shy of half done

Good Morning,

I think I've put the last round on 8 squares and joined them as I did it. The nursing home where my sewing guild group meets asked for lapghans to be 24" x 36", they said that size fits well in wheelchairs.

Good Morning! Little guy went home late yesterday afternoon, so after some catching up around here, I can get back to crocheting!

You all are accomplishing a lot! :cheer And remember...taking an extra day or two is just fine! :D

Cindy ~ Your granny afghan is lovely. :hook

Have a great morning, everyone!

Thanks everyone for the info on lapghan sizes. I found another partial skein of medium blue yarn in an old box so I worked a few more rounds last night during the football game. I think the ghan will be big enough once I finish off the skein tonight. I will report back in late tonight or in the morning.

Best wishes to all on this official last day of the blitz.

Archived