Butterfly Shawl

cgfreckles

This is my first original pattern. A friend tested it. But if anyone else would like to test and let me know if there are any errors and if it's written correctly, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Butterfly Shawl

By: Cindy Gallimore – August 2012

Red Heart Super Saver yarn

H hook

I used approximately 16 oz. I crocheted 35 rows. It measured 63” across the top and 24” vertically down the middle.

Abbreviations:

CH=Chain, SP=Space, SK=Skip, DC=Double Crochet, SL ST=Slip Stitch

To Start:

CH 4 and join with a SL ST to form a loop.

Row 1:

CH4 (to stand as 1DC and CH1), 1DC into loop, *CH1, 1DC into loop*, Repeat * to * 3 more times. Turn.

Row 2:

CH3, 1DC into next SP, *CH2, 2DC into next CH SP*, Repeat * to * 4 more times. Turn

Row 3:

CH3, 1DC, CH2, 2DC into the same stitch, [2DC, CH2, 2DC] (shell made) into each SP to the end of the row & in turning CH. Turn.

Row 4:

CH 3, Shell into next SP, 1DC into next DC, *SK next 2DC, 1DC into next DC, Shell into next SP, 1DC into next DC*, Repeat * to * to last shell. Shell in Shell, DC in turning CH. Turn.

Row 5:

CH 3, Shell into next Shell, 1DC into next 2 DC, *SK next 2DC, 1DC into next 2 DC, Shell into next SP, 1DC into next 2 DC*, Repeat * to * to last shell. Shell in Shell, DC in turning CH. Turn

Row 6:

Repeat Row 5 as many times as you need to make the size you wish, adding the extra DCs as they appear, on each side of the points – (EXCEPT for the beginning & end of the rows.)

Note:

Be sure to always SK the same two stitches and to do the Shell into every point on every row.

Edging:

CH3, 7DC in Shell #* SK 1DC, SL ST in next DC, SK 1DC, 3DC in next DC*, Repeat * to * to valley; SL ST 2ST Dec in valley; Repeat * to * to Shell, 7DC in Shell#. Repeat # to # to last Shell, 7DC in last Shell, 1DC in turn CH. Do not turn, SC evenly across top. Join with SL ST in last ST.

(The Edging will probably only work out when crocheting an odd number of rows)

Variation for a more open, airy shawl:

Beginning with Row 6:

CH3, Shell into next Shell, *1DC into next DC, CH1, SK next DC, DC in next DC, SK next 2 DC, 1DC in next DC, CH1, SK next DC, DC in next DC, Shell in Shell*, Repeat * to * to last Shell. Shell in Shell, DC in turning CH.

Row 7:

CH 3, Shell into next Shell, *1DC into each DC and CH1 SP until you reach the ‘valley’, SK 2 stitches (for the valley), 1DC into each DC and CH1 SP to the next Shell. Shell in Shell.* Repeat * to * to end of row, DC in turning CH. Turn.

Repeat Rows 6 & 7, many times as you need to make the size you wish, adding the extra DC as they appear, on each side of the points (except for the beginning and end of the rows.)

Note:

Be sure to always SK the same two stitches and to do the Shell into every point on every row.

post-23058-135897777239_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived