Granny square uses

cupcakes

Hi guys,

I've recently been given a big bag full of small and medium sized granny squares and honestly have no idea what to do with them, other than make an afghan, which I don't really have enough for I don't think. So I wondered if anyone had some good patterns, and ideas of what to do with granny squares.

I found an old thread on here titled 'things to do with granny squares' and there were lots of interesting ideas on there, only most of the links didn't work anymore, so I wasn't able to find any patterns, or how to's.

Hope you can help,

thanks very much :D

Off the top of my head, and without seeing them to know if they will even work together for a single project;

- make scarves

- use them to kick start smaller projects like ponchos and sweaters,

- put a nice border around them to make trivets

- pay them forward to some charities looking for squares for comfortghans

- start your own comfortghan charity and ask for more squares to then donate afghan somewhere else

- I KNOW i've seen slippers made in part from granny squares a couple days ago

- use a couple of them together to make whimsical runners and placemats

- freeform those suckers into something awesome like a skirt, or even a shawl or decoration to throw over the back of a chair or couch!

I would put them to much better use than stitching the to trees, but that's just me...I have made pillows , scarves, pet mats, even hats from them besides the normal lap ghans and such for charity.. I have a motto, no granny square goes unloved or un unsed! good luck with them. hope you find a good use for them!

• 3 weeks later...

If you have enough that coordinate, they make pretty H bags. I'm trying to remember how many those take...nine, I think, for the folded-side ones and thirteen if you want to make one where the corners stick up. If the squares are ready, it takes no time at all to put them together, and you can put any kind of handle on you want.

If you want scuffs, you only need a big one and a small one for each foot. Set your foot down on a square laid out diagonally, lift the corners up and make sure it will reach around your foot; if it doesn't or it's too short, add a row before you put a small square on the front.

Very small squares make neat cell phone cases, too.

I like to use acquired squares(not mine), for projects that will not get much laundering because I do not always know the yarn content or how the ends were put in, tote bags eye glass cases.cell phone holders. business card holders, mail holders( strip of four squares, with three pockets( also grannies ) kleenex holders chair covers.....almost anything that contains squares ..... and yes I receive a lot of grannies and unfinished projects, and pillow tops and book bags and scarves .... so have some fun

I don't remember the name of it but there is a shrug (for free) sewn into a rectangle and then I believe there are ruffles at the sleeve ends. I think there is a border crocheted around the neckline opening. I don't know if it is called a neckline opening but it is the best that I could come up with. LOL Good luck. Sylvia

Archived