Best cast-on for socks

Island Girl

I have been working on a basic baby sock pattern. My question is, what is the best cast-on :crocheting I can use for any future socks I make? I'd like to learn a good one that will be stretchy enough on the cuff part so it'll be easy to put the sock on and not be tight. I hope someone could help me. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Yes, that helps so much. I used to go on the about.com forum for crocheting so long ago. I forgot :( about it. Thank you for reminding me about it. Now I could go there again both for :hook'in and :crocheting'ing. :lol I did read the one page of posts and I'll be trying some of the different ways to cast on. Thanks again.

Try looking on the Knitters review forum. More knitters there and they would probably have the answer.

I have only knitted one pair of socks so far so I can't speak from experience.

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66675

Hope this helps.

I used to use a regular long-tail cast on and just tried to make it very loose and stretchy, and it was OK but not the best. Then I learned the German Twisted Cast On and never looked back. It has several names:

, Old Norwegian Cast On, English Cast On (I think) and I don't know how many others. This is a very stretchy cast on, it looks very handsome, providing a lovely finished edge to socks, mittens, cuffs, etc. I have noticed that a number of sock designers prefer this one, too. I always cast on over a single needle and not the double needles she mentions in the video, just making sure it's snug enough to look neat but loose enough to retain the stretch.

I apologize for not having seen this earlier but we were out of town and had practically no internet access. I hope it helps you, Pat.

Thanks Gran. I will make another sock the same way I did the first one so they'll match. But I will use some scrap yarn and practice :crocheting the one you recommend. So far I've only tried the top down pattern. I want to try the toe up but not sure how to :crocheting cast on for that one. Maybe you can recommend a type of cast-on I can try? :) Thanks for your help. :cheer:clap

I used to use a regular long-tail cast on and just tried to make it very loose and stretchy, and it was OK but not the best. Then I learned the German Twisted Cast On and never looked back. It has several names:
, Old Norwegian Cast On, English Cast On (I think) and I don't know how many others. This is a very stretchy cast on, it looks very handsome, providing a lovely finished edge to socks, mittens, cuffs, etc. I have noticed that a number of sock designers prefer this one, too. I always cast on over a single needle and not the double needles she mentions in the video, just making sure it's snug enough to look neat but loose enough to retain the stretch.

I apologize for not having seen this earlier but we were out of town and had practically no internet access. I hope it helps you, Pat.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but I never saw your next note — and double sorry because I've never knit toe-up, but most people choose either Judy's Magic Cast On or the Turkish Cast On. Googling these terms should readily take you to them.

• 1 year later...

Archived