Sign in to follow this  
ddc

Question about Russian Join

Question

I have never done Russian join before, but thought I would experiment with it for a magic ball. I'm getting a lot of mini balls of yarn in nice compatible colors. My question is how long a join do you make? Looking at tutorials around the internet, some look like as little as in inch woven in, others around three inches or more inches.

In your experience, what length join is adequate?

7 answers to this question

I just started using the russian join with my most recent WIP's. I usually weave in about 2 inches. I have washed once the panels for an afghan done in TSS to be put together and there were no ends sticking out afterwards. If you have yarn that is tightly wound and you weave it in really good I think even an inch could be sufficient (but I prefer to err on the side of caution and make it longer), I've been getting some nice tight joins with what's on my hook right now.

Edited by ceruleansky

For me it depends on the density, weight and color of the yarn. As stated before, if tightly plied (density) not as much length is needed, also the heavier and fuzzier yarns don't require long lengths, but the finer yarns with less ply do. Also I find it hard to disguise the join when colors are very different in the finer yarns, so I would try to blend your colors carefully. I often use a knot for the fine ones and weave the ends in, instead of just a regular russian join. The length and whether to use this type of join is really a personal preference, you will have to experiment and find what you are most comfortable with...

Thanks for the replies. It's a learning curve for sure, but I dread the thought of all the ends to weave in using up bits and pieces. At least by turning them into magic balls I can do it a little at a time and finishing up a project won't be such an agony. I'll just have to see how it goes.

I've only done russian joins for light and regular worsted weight yarns, haven't tried anything light (#2) or lighter.

I must say though, that since I learned how to do a russian join, I rarely join my yarn any other way.

I always use the russian jointing. I usually allow 3-4 inches. I find it works and hold perfectly with all the yarns I have used.

I love the Russian join. However, I recently made a baby dress using a bamboo yarn, and when I would weave the ends into the yarn and then pull, it kept coming apart. The yarn doesn't catch. I've learned that not all yarns are so happy with that join. Of course, I don't have to pull, but then I am worried that it will begin to unravel with time.

I think you're right to be worried. If it comes undone easily then it most likely won't hold up over time and washing.