Scrap-projects

Charis

Here's a 2 part question for you guys...Do you mix yarn brands on scrap patterns? Does it make a difference?

Do you buy a lot of different brands of yarn or mostly 1 brand?

See I'm starting to get some scraps from projects and I want to know before I buy more yarn if I should stick with the same brand or it it even matters.

Thanks!

To answer part 2 first, with a very few random exceptions, I stick to RH Super Saver and a little RH Classic, I Love This Yarn, and Caron One Pound for medium weight. I also have a stash of lighter weight yarns, but they are confined to a few brands too, and are mostly on hold for my glorious retirement years (I hope!)

I would mix only if the weight and texture are pretty similar, but always prefer to remain within the brand. I might mix some of the lighter RHSS with some ILTY, and some of the heavier RHSS with some of the Caron One Pound if I really needed the color, but doing so would not be my first choice.

I mix brands but only if they are the same weight and made from the same material ie: I wouldn't mix an acrylic with a wool. I have a large variety of yarns and my stash now over takes an entire closet. If I am to buy a less expensive yarn I tend to buy the Caron simply soft just because I like the feel. You can sometimes double up on lighter weight yarns to mix in with a worsted. I would make a test swatch first. :)

I do all the time as long they are the same type (sport with sport, worsted with worsted). At times, when I want a certain thickness, I mix sport with worsted or baby with worsted or sport and I still mix brands.

Never had a problem with it.

LI Roe

Tip:

Do not mix natural fibers with manmade fibers unless they are machine washable. Otherwise, you will need to dry clean or hand wash. :eek

Archived