Potholder?

MarvieN

This was today's project.... I went to the thrift shop (I always do on Saturday lol) and they had a set of neat looking potholders, I wan'ted to figure the stitch out, so hubby bought them for me, I brought them home and examined them closely. Well, one had a bit of a burned area, and since I was having trouble figuring out how the things were designed, I de-constructed it. In doing this, I figured out how the potholder was made, and set out to make something similar. I didn't have any cotton yarn on hand, so I just grabbed some scratchy acrylic I had in the scrap drawer and went to it. Here is what I came up with...

The one on the left is the mate to the one I took apart. The blue and creme one is the one I made.

potholders8zu.jpg

Hubby thinks I should make some more squares and sew them together into a rug or a wall hanging. What do ya'll think? There are a lot of possibilities that's for sure!

Oh how cool! I should have guessed this had been discussed around here someplace *g* I love seeing the different possibilities! I whipped up a few of the mesh grids last night while watching TV and figure I'll play around with them today. It's quite fun lol.

jen, the blue one I made I only had to weave four of five ends. I crocheted over the starting ends, and probably could have gone over at least some of the end ends too if I'd been smart enough lol.

Then I must be doing something wrong. I've been following the directions from the Craft Yarn Council, and it has me finishing off rows, and starting a new one farther away. Of course, I could be reading the directions all wrong, which happens a lot to me. LOL!

I'm using a varigated cotton yarn, and am hoping there is a way to start the ruffle and keep going until the grid is all filled in.

Archived