color wheel and yarns

cindykarol

:chookHi too all :cheer just need some pointers , iam not so great in pairing color together and wonder is their a way to help to pick colors that will look nice together ? Second I am having problems with what yarns to use I dont have a great deal of $$ but at the same time I like a good yarn and I find red heart so scratchy some times and the is pilling to i found ..Iam thinking about using no20 thread for maybe a bed spead til yarn comes down ...I dont know ....okay one more question can u use diffrent name brands if its the same ply ...I always to scared to do just in case it looks bad ....Thanks for reading :crocheting

I am sure there are sites online somewhere with color theory and help in choosing colors, but I'm at work and really can't take time to hunt any down. I'm sure someone will for you. (This doesn't explain why I'm answering this post at work, does it?)

I think you can mix brands if you do it carefully. You need to be sure the weight is comparable as well as the texture and "shininess" - unless you are going for a special effect. Definitely the type of fiber must be the same. Be aware too that not all yarns of the same class, e.g. worsted are the same. From finest to thickest, I would list Pound of Love, I Love This Yarn, RHSS, Caron One Pound. All are medium worsted, but the ends of that sequence would be, to me at least, far too different to use together.

To keep cost down, watch for clearances. At least some Hobby Lobby stores, if not all, put a lot of yarn on clearance in August. If you have one near you, you might check there. I Love This Yarn is a nice brand, and the 40% clearance price makes it cheaper than RHSS. However shopping clearances, you need to aware that in most yarns, dye lot matters. For something with a lot of stripes, the dye lots may be close enough to mix if separated by another color, but it's something to keep in mind when planning projects.

Also thrift stores apparently have yarn sometimes - mine never do.

Archived