I think I am knitting wrong

unicorndragon

Unicorndragon, I was actually trying to ask Desertcrocheter if her stitches were twisted. I could see in your photo that some of yours were twisted, but Desertcrocheters didn't look twisted to me.

So glad your stitches are happy now;)

I guess they technically are, but the only time I've had a problem was when I was knitting a tank top in the round. It took me two years to return to that tank top because it took me two years to feel I'd mastered English style enough to give the pattern a go.

My stockinette is amazingly flat and even, though, which I've read is one of the nice things about knitting combined. The only items where purled rows 'rowed out' were the ones I made when knitting English style. You can see the purled rows are actually bigger.

But cabling, doing simple lace--not a problem with combined. And it goes so much faster! I keep reading about English style knitters hating to purl, but I love it, it's no different than knitting knit stitches.

As long as you love the end result,who cares how you got there, right? :crocheting Patty

• 10 months later...

I'm not a left handed knitter but I think I knit wrong too. I don't really notice my knitting looks different just that when I see people knit I don't knit like that. If that makes any sense at all. I don't really knit anything more than dishcloths and hats allthough I have upped the ante & tried new patterns for dishcloths. In some ways I feel like I'm knitting wrong and then again I feel like I'm knitting just right for me : )

I guess they technically are, but the only time I've had a problem was when I was knitting a tank top in the round. It took me two years to return to that tank top because it took me two years to feel I'd mastered English style enough to give the pattern a go.

My stockinette is amazingly flat and even, though, which I've read is one of the nice things about knitting combined. The only items where purled rows 'rowed out' were the ones I made when knitting English style. You can see the purled rows are actually bigger.

But cabling, doing simple lace--not a problem with combined. And it goes so much faster! I keep reading about English style knitters hating to purl, but I love it, it's no different than knitting knit stitches.

As long as you love the end result,who cares how you got there, right? :crocheting Patty

Hmm I feel the same way about purling as you. Maybe I knit like you?

I never knew which way I knit as I have taught myself over the years solely through books, and now, if I am stuck, I turn to youtube. I guess I knit continental as all the books I have used, used this technique. Continental is thought to be quicker but I know that when I knit it is still a slow process. I definitely work the slowest doing the purl stitch.

I may have to give the English technique a try.

Archived