Scarves, Hats, and Winter Wearables

MrsMcKee

Hi all!

I'm collecting crocheted items such as hats and scarves to donate to my local women and children's center in Houston. We forget it gets cold in the south in the winter too! This is an emergency center that is used as a refuge for abused women and children. This is normally the first place they go when in trouble and looking for a safe place.

I spoke with a representative from the center today and she said there are several pregnant women currently there. She said they would really appreciate baby hats for these women.

I'm excited to see all the beautiful items you all make! :)

Thank you thank you thank you for your help!! :)

Here are our totals!!

We currently have donated:

14 adult hats

12 adult scarves

3 hooded scarves

1 cowl

5 child scarves

11 child hats

11 baby hats

2 baby swaddles

2 burp cloths

4 baby dresses

2 baby sweaters

3 pair of baby mittens

4 bibs

1 pair fingerless gloves

1 pair of booties

76 items!!! Way to go!

Update: I'm no longer collecting squares for this charity. I'm just not getting enough to complete a project with them. So I feel like the squares would be better served in another charity. I don't want to take squares that I know would be better served elsewhere. Your hats, scarves, and other wearables in any size are still very welcome and tremendously appreciated. :) Thank you all so much for your help in making this charity dream a success!

oh here you are, i was looking for this thread for a day or two, and here it is! Put me in for something.....Probably baby hats, not sure yet, but will get on that maybe when the weather is a touch cooler, it's hard to think of winter things in this heat, but I will get in gear soon again, and have you on my list!!!!:clap

Thank you both bunches and bunches!! :)

We need everything. I'm just asking people to crochet whatever they enjoy making. Scarves are my favorite, so I make lots of those. :) If hats are your specialty - go for those. Whatever makes you happy to make will make these women happy to have!

If you are the type that wants a more direct answer - baby hats would be especially wonderful. As I mentioned, there are several pregnant women at the shelter right now who will deliver in the winter. Or baby booties, or baby anything!

I'm so excited to have help! You have no idea how much this means to these women and how much it means to me. :) Thank you times a gazillion!! :)

I just learned Tunisian crochet. So I just made two Tunisian scarves to add to the collection.

I've gotten a couple of questions about deadlines, so I wanted to answer publicly. There are definitely no deadlines! I will take a box of items to be donated as they fill up. Right now, we just have the two scarves I made. So that's not enough to take yet. We just have to start early so they will have enough to stay warm by the time it gets cold.

I have to meet the volunteer coordinator at an off-site location. Since this is an emergency shelter, only staff and women using the facility have access to the address. Its is meant to be very secure to keep all the women safe. The women and children at this shelter are usually escaping in the middle of the night from their abusers.

They have a thrift store though, so I'll meet the coordinator at the store to donate the items, and she will take them back to the shelter. The items you crochet will not stay in the store to be sold. They will go right back with the staff member to the women, children, and babies.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Hi,

I have several hats all boxed up and ready to mail for your charity, however this week, is going to be a bit busy, so will probably get them off to you next week at the latest, if that is ok.....thank you!! are you going to post pics of what you recieve?? We all love to see other's works of art, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Katie!! I received the box of hats you sent. They are wonderful!! Thank you so much for your contribution to my charity!! I know they will be very very much appreciated by the women at the shelter.

Your kindness and thoughtfulness means so much!! :)

Thanks again to my wonderful friend, Katie!

post-61835-135897774869_thumb.jpg

When will you be taking a delivery to them?

I'll take a delivery when I have enough to make the drive. I have to meet the volunteer coordinator at their thrift store about 20 miles from my house. They don't release the address to anyone other than the women who take shelter there. It's a protected house so that the abusers can't find the victims.

Right now I only have the many scarves I've made and the hats from Katie. So I'll wait awhile until I get more to call the coordinator.

Of course, I can make as many trips as needed!!

I'll take a delivery when I have enough to make the drive. I have to meet the volunteer coordinator at their thrift store about 20 miles from my house. They don't release the address to anyone other than the women who take shelter there. It's a protected house so that the abusers can't find the victims.

Right now I only have the many scarves I've made and the hats from Katie. So I'll wait awhile until I get more to call the coordinator.

Of course, I can make as many trips as needed!!

I will probably split my granny squares between you and crochetcleveland. I might send u a hat.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the most wonderful box this morning!! Anne, you have really outdone yourself!! I got scarves, hats, swaddles, bibs, the most adorable little baby dresses, mittens, and burp cloths from this amazing woman!! A big box of love! Your generosity is SO touching!! I will post a photo tonight when I get home from work. I'm just so so touched by your donation! Thank you so much, Anne!!

Please know how much you are helping these women and children. These are people who can't take much from their homes when they leave. They are only focused on getting to safety. I know having something that is homemade really means a lot to someone who hardly has a home. There is such a personal aspect to it.

I really can't thank you enough!! You're an angel!!

Look at all these wonderful gifts!!

post-61835-135897778474_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if my box arrived yet?

Got it yesterday. I didn't get home until quite late, so I was unable to post last night. Sorry about that.

Thank you so so much for all your generosity! The scarves and hats are lovely. I know they'll be very much appreciated!

I'll post a picture when I get home from work today.

Archived