Afghaniac

Swedish potholder

Question

I have a friend who has a collection of Polish earthenware dishes that look similar to the plate shown, and I think she'd like the potholder on the left. Does anybody know how to find this pattern? Alternatively, does anybody see a link to the pattern on this Swedish page. It looks like you could start out with an African Flower motif, then use cluster stitches to turn it into a circle instead of a hexagon. I think that, if enlarged, it also would make a really pretty pie plate holder.

http://madebysan.blogspot.nl/2012/07/a-late-birthday-gift.html

13 answers to this question

Replying to my own post! Found the pattern on ravelry. It's the African Flower Mandala Potholder. Though I think the first round of clusters looks a little different -- not just 3 dc, but a cluster stitch?

thanks for posting what it is very pretty I will go find it now on Ravelry

Hi Kay-

Could that be close to Alice's pattern listed on Ravelry for a link to Crochet With Raymond ?

Hi Kay-

Could that be close to Alice's pattern listed on Ravelry for a link to Crochet With Raymond ?

Hi, Reni. Yep,that's the one I found -- not exactly the same, but could be tweaked. I think the colors of the Dutch one are really pretty, too.

I love the color scheme on the Dutch potholders. I've made some from the link I listed but had to tweak a few stitches. It had to be me, not the designers problem. If you get it "tweaked" to your liking, let me know. I think they'll turn out beautiful. With one layer, they make pretty, casual doilies too.

***ETA:

Well- Big Fat DUH on my part! I looked further down on the page you listed and saw that she referred to Crochet With Raymond's pattern. Guess I should always read further instead of skipping. :embar

Hi, Reni. Yep,that's the one I found -- not exactly the same, but could be tweaked. I think the colors of the Dutch one are really pretty, too.
Edited by ReniC

I love the color scheme on the Dutch potholders. I've made some from the link I listed but had to tweak a few stitches. It had to be me, not the designers problem. If you get it "tweaked" to your liking, let me know. I think they'll turn out beautiful. With one layer, they make pretty, casual doilies too.

***ETA:

Well- Big Fat DUH on my part! I looked further down on the page you listed and saw that she referred to Crochet With Raymond's pattern. Guess I should always read further instead of skipping. :embar

And, in line with my recent obsession -- maybe placemats, too.

It very well could have been the designer and not you. The other day I splurged (well, for me it was a splurge for a pattern) $6 on etsy for a pattern, only to receive one with slapdash instructions that looked almost as primitive as the person's notes to herself. I don't think I should have to be a mindreader to figure them out. As an old editor, I think everyone should observe the same conventions for abbreviations and spell out directions clearly and in the same "crochet language" we all understand. If the pattern is a generous donation to the crocheting world, I don't mind, but I do mind putting out cash for a poorly written pattern. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn a one-liner into a long rant. :angry

Cool,love the potholders. Have to put these on my to do list. thanks!

I too am amazed at the gorgeous colour mix.

http://crochethealingandraymond.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/ornamental-pot-holders/

Here's another link.

The site isn't Swedish, it's probably Dutch.

Thanks for the additional link. I thought I'd edited my post to say it was Dutch, not Swedish, but I must have neglected to hit the button to apply the edit.

Pinterest.com certainly is opening up a whole international world of crochet. The down side of the site is that some Russians and others are ripping off entire pattern books in violation of copyrights.