First Crocheted Earrings - Opinions Please!

kraftynkrazy

I recently completed my first ever pair of crocheted earrings to send as an extra in the purse/tote swap. My partner was unable to post a picture so I posted a link to my blog encouraging others to view the pictures there but got no response. I also posted in the July blog updates thread but again got no response. I am not begging for compliments, but would truly love to have some feedback as I have never made any of these before. I am also looking for some advice as to what others have used as a stiffening agent for their thread when making earrings. I'm not sure how mine turned out, but they were still slightly tacky to the touch when I shipped out the package. Any feedback would be sooooooo appreciated! Thanks.

post-22056-135897769519_thumb.jpg

post-22056-135897769526_thumb.jpg

post-22056-135897769512_thumb.jpg

post-22056-135897769523_thumb.jpg

Are they stiffened?

If not, they don't seem to need it. I use Stiffy mostly.

Also.. The thread that supports the hook breaks very easy, especially as you have a stone wearing it down. I would reinforce the thread going through the hook, sewing a harder non breaking thread through and fastening well.

As for the look I love them!

they look good to me. What is the black Yarn? I agree the hooks mind need some reinforcement. I don't think they need stiffening as long as you have a firm tension.

Thanks ladies!

Flia, I did stiffen them slightly by just brushing on a thin layer of Mod Podge. It dried clear, but as I mentioned, was still slightly tacky to the touch when I packaged them up and shipped them out. (I hope they were ok by the time they arrived to my swap partner.) That is why I was curious about stiffening agents. I will google "Stiffy" and see what I can find.

Cupcake, the black is a sparkly black thread that I don't recall where I got it. I have drawers full of that kind of yarn. I probably picked it up at a yard sale or thrift shop and there was no wrapper on it to tell me what kind or anything. :lol As for the earrings, they were ok when I made them, but I wasn't sure if crocheted earrings were supposed to be stiff or soft and bending.

As for the thread that runs through it, thanks for the suggestions. It hadn't occurred to me that it might break easily, but I can see now how that might happen. Next time I will use some regular jewelry wire along with the thread. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about?

Thanks again for all your advice and input. It is so appreciated!!! :D

Wire can tear the thread as well as the ends are sharp.

I've done most of the mistakes possible when it comes to thread jewelry ;)

:) OK, so in that case, what kind of thread would you recommend? Just a heavier weight? Or a specific brand? Thanks again for the continued help! :hug

cute!

b/c of the weight of bead, if there's a risk of breaking, I would suggest a clear monofilament or nylon sewing thread myself. I have some that I bought at a quilt shop...actually clear nylon sewing thread. That spool is lasting forever! :) you could sew it through the stitches at the top by the hook, and weave it through the back, down through the bead dangle and tie off that way. probably easier than holding and crocheting with it AND the original thread. :U

Most of the earrings I've made are lighter, and so don't need the extra thread. And stiffening is personal pref. The ones I've been doing giveaways with are generally not stiffened (though something like the spritz bottle of stiffen-stuff (Hobby Lobby) would work). But I have a pair of lacy type butterflies that needed stiffening, and that's what I used on them, and they're holding up very well. (I put the jump-ring in first though, so the threads are easier to manipulate).

HTH

Thanks ladies!

Flia, I did stiffen them slightly by just brushing on a thin layer of Mod Podge. It dried clear, but as I mentioned, was still slightly tacky to the touch when I packaged them up and shipped them out. (I hope they were ok by the time they arrived to my swap partner.) That is why I was curious about stiffening agents. I will google "Stiffy" and see what I can find.

:D

Try the regular fabric stiffener like we use for doilies. That way you can make them as stiff as you want. The first time I used it, I didn't dilute the mixture and wound up with a Butterfly doily as hard as a board, it never would fly...:lol. But most of all it dries totally without stickiness.:hook

Archived