Yarn Allergies??

MrsMcKee

I have pretty much always bought my yarn at a craft store - mainly Jo-Ann's because I love their coupons - or Hobby Lobby (for the same reason). But tonight, I found myself in Wal Mart getting storage containers (for yarn of course) and picked up a couple skeins there. My husband and I had been sitting on the couch for a few hours - eating dinner, watching shows, talking, etc. We were both totally fine until about twenty minutes after I started working with the yarn. I absolutely could not stop sneezing. I must have sneezed 100 times - really. Not 10 minutes later, my husband's allergies started acting up too. I ended up having to take an allergy pill because it got so bad. It was just acrylic yarn. Nothing crazy.

Not sure if it was from the yarn or from something else. But it got me wondering - Have any of you had sudden allergy attacks after working with a new skein of yarn or after buying from a new store??? Have you found a certain type that just doesn't agree with you? I know a lot of people have wool allergies, but I'm wondering about others as well.

Just curious. :)

I recently pulled out a skein of yarn from my wondrous "unknown" drawer (Basically yarn I got somewhere and have no idea what kind it is) to use in the making of a purse. When I started using it, I immediately started having allergy problems and so I assumed it was wool. (It made my hands itch and burn like wool does.) Anyway, I forced myself to finish the purse by working in short spurts but when I was done, I forgot to put the yarn away and left it in my yarn bag. I am now in the hospital, having had surgery on Wednesday, and yesterday I decided I wanted to make a teddy bear. I pulled out that same yarn, thinking it would make a nice body for the bear and it hasn't bothered me AT ALL! I don't know what the difference is between now and then, but I no longer think it is wool...

I have many allergies. I have never had a problem using any yarn sold

at walmart. I purchase only acrylic yarns. I can not work with wool or much of anything else. Most of my work is for charity and they don't accept anything that can not be machine washed and dried.

I am sorry to hear of your allergies. I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks Spirit. I am feeling much better. Yesterday morning was a bit rough with allergies too so that makes me think it wasn't the yarn at all. I woke up sneezing and feeling very itchy and I hadn't picked up any crochet yet. Must have just been something in the air this weekend.

Thanks for the responses about yarn allergies though! :)

I am allergic to wool yarn, so I know I can't work with it. If other yarn gives you problems, it might have a lot of dust on or in the skeins. Try shaking them outside and airing them. Also there's chemicals. Warehouses spray regularly for roaches and things. Small amounts could seep into boxes of yarn, and we'd never know it.

PLUS the plastic containers and bins I buy, usually have to be aired for days, and sometimes for weeks, before I can use them because of the chemical odor. I also wash and rinse them before using them because they often have an oily feel inside.

I thought I was the only one with that problem

I had brought some yarn that had been recyled from plastic bottles ; I sneeze ; and broke out in small hives and itched. I sent an e-mail to the company and they gave me the chance to order one of their other yarns

I think it was simply soft. the recycle

if you got a lot; take it for a return to wal mart; or contact the company . :hug

Archived