Caron Simply Soft

krazycrocheter

Question

I would like to know what the best hook would be to use with Caron Simply Soft yarn. I'm gonna make Head Huggers: Crochet Pattern 7 J. T.'s Favorite Stitch Chemo Cap. It doesn't specify any yarn or hook. So I wanted to use Simply Soft. Its for my friend with breast cancer. Any help would be appreciated.:D:hug

14 answers to this question

I typically use an H hook with Simply Soft. I've never made that pattern so I don't know how it will effect the size of the hat...

Just looked at projects on Ravelry, this person made one with a J hook and Simply Soft and said it came out to a small adult size... so depending on the finished size you are going for you could try a K hook. Or you could try going to a heavier yarn. I Love This Yarn is very soft, and it is much thicker than the SS without being bulky.

Unfortunately, I think this is one you are going to have to play around with to get the desired size...

Caron Simply Soft is a "light" worsted weight, so fitted items do not come out the same as other worsted weight items. Some people consider Simply Soft is sport weight or DK weight. If a pattern was written using Simply Soft or it doesn't have to fit a body, you're OK. If it has to fit, your item will come out a bit smaller.

For a hat, you could increase it a bit more than it calls for before crocheting straight on the sides. That wouldn't be a difficult change to make.

Make one with a J hook and one with a K hook (let your friend decided) each person likes to wear hats differently plus no head is the same... with or with out hair....(make sure you know which is bigger when she tries them on the you can make her more once you know..) I make 2 crochet beanie hats 21-22 inc ( with a k hook) and 22-23 inch with a L hook using Worsted Weigh yarn yet when I made one in with Caron using the K hook it seemed different then the K with the worsted weight yarn...plus Caron yarn is softer/slicker/stretcher then WW yarn..

Sure. I use two different patterns. The first one is a head-hugger beanie style. In fact the name is "Head Hugger Beanie." The designer is Edie Eckman and it can be found either on the Red Heart yarn website or on Crochet Pattern Central. I have begun to add my own touches to it by doing some different stitches in place of the basic double crochet stitch called for in the pattern. The other pattern I use is "Slouchy Beanie" and its designer is our own CrochetSpot/Rachel. It can be found here in Crochetville or again on the Crochet Pattern Central website.

I started to wear the "Head Hugger Beanie" just as I began to lose my hair and continued to wear it until enough hair had grown back that it would not fit snug anymore. Then I switched to wearing the slouchy beanie. I loved it because I could let it lay across the back of my neck which got cold very easily after I lost my hair. Even after I began to grow hair again my neck seemed to be very sensitive to the cold. The slouchy beanie was the perfect answer. Check these two patterns out and see what you think.

Sure. I use two different patterns. The first one is a head-hugger beanie style. In fact the name is "Head Hugger Beanie." The designer is Edie Eckman and it can be found either on the Red Heart yarn website or on Crochet Pattern Central. I have begun to add my own touches to it by doing some different stitches in place of the basic double crochet stitch called for in the pattern. The other pattern I use is "Slouchy Beanie" and its designer is our own CrochetSpot/Rachel. It can be found here in Crochetville or again on the Crochet Pattern Central website.

I started to wear the "Head Hugger Beanie" just as I began to lose my hair and continued to wear it until enough hair had grown back that it would not fit snug anymore. Then I switched to wearing the slouchy beanie. I loved it because I could let it lay across the back of my neck which got cold very easily after I lost my hair. Even after I began to grow hair again my neck seemed to be very sensitive to the cold. The slouchy beanie was the perfect answer. Check these two patterns out and see what you think.

I tried the ones you said and the Head Hugger Beanie one won't pull up the pattern on either of the sites you gave me.

I have tried two hat patterns and they say they are adult hats but they came out super small. I am doing the one in the link in my previous post. I'm using the Red Heart Baby Clouds yarn that it calls for, the color is pink limonaid. It's a realy soft baby pink and mom saw it (she around age of reciepient) and said it's too soft of a pink for a woman of her age. Said it wouldn't look right on her. She might not wear it cause of color. Not really sure how old she is but I know she has 4kids and oldest is in highschool. What do yall think? http://www.redheart.com/finder/yarn?filters=tid:52 go down and click on Baby Clouds and it's the Pink Limonaid color.

Hard to say what color will or won't appeal to someone, maybe she's just not a pink person? :think

Regarding the size, your gauge may not match the designer's. We can't tell you 'use a z hook with x yarn' because we all have different stitch tensions, including pattern designers.

Here is a site that explains how to get a beanie-type hat to fit. You need to know the person's head circumference, then make your initial flat circle that measurement divided by pi (3.14). You make most beanies by making a flat circle of some diameter, then working even for x number of inches. Example, my head is 21", so the flat circle should be about 6.7" across to fit without stretching. You mak have to add or subtract rounds from the circle to get the hat to fit properly.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/in-the-round-hats.htm

Here is a site with average hat sizes.

http://www.woollywormhead.com/sizing/

Hard to say what color will or won't appeal to someone, maybe she's just not a pink person? :think

Regarding the size, your gauge may not match the designer's. We can't tell you 'use a z hook with x yarn' because we all have different stitch tensions, including pattern designers.

Here is a site that explains how to get a beanie-type hat to fit. You need to know the person's head circumference, then make your initial flat circle that measurement divided by pi (3.14). You make most beanies by making a flat circle of some diameter, then working even for x number of inches. Example, my head is 21", so the flat circle should be about 6.7" across to fit without stretching. You mak have to add or subtract rounds from the circle to get the hat to fit properly.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/in-the-round-hats.htm

Here is a site with average hat sizes.

http://www.woollywormhead.com/sizing/

:ty:hug

Just checked Crochet Pattern Central and was able to call up both patterns. But the one I called "Head-Hugger Beanie" is actually called "Head Hugger Cap." The pattern listed before it is named "Hat, Crochet" and the pattern after it is named "Heat Stroke Jute Cap." The pattern listed before the "Slouchy Beanie" is "Slouching Pink Posie Hat" and the one after is "Slouchy Beret." Hope this helps. Not sure why they won't come up but sometimes I find computers to be very aggravating.

I use a 5mm with Caron's Simply Soft. I do keep in mind when I work with Simply Soft that my work comes out smaller than those with other worsted weights (compare Super Saver). I think anything over a 5mm would be lacy, and a 4-4.5mm may also work with Simply Soft. Hope this helps!!

Archived