Have you ever taught someone to crochet?

I have taught a few people to crochet, my daughter, a couple of friends etc.

However I can not teach left handed people to crochet. I had a dear Aunt who desperately wanted to learn and I tried but all she ever learned was "knots". She was a fantastic painter and very talented so we ended up trading crafts, my crochet for her artwork. :lol

I actually just got a job as a crochet instructor! I haven't taught anyone yet, but my hubs told me I could practice teaching him before my first class. We'll see how that goes, lol! Wish me luck -- I've been practicing in my head. I'd be interested in finding out any tips or tricks that has worked well for others that have successfully taught people to crochet.

I have taught a few people, but there was one I couldn't teach. I am sure you aren't a bad teacher. Maybe she just needs to learn another way? I have taught both with the person sitting next to me, and with the person sitting across from me, depending on the learning style. some people actually learn better with a book in front of them, and the teacher showing what the steps in the book mean. that's actually how I learned the first time.

Yes, I taught a few people to crochet, including my mom and my daughter. I find its best when they're sitting next to you with their own yarn and hook and follow step by step what you're doing.

I've taught my both of my sons girlfriends and also my sons (all three) and my daughter. The only one to still continue crocheting is my older boy's girlfriend. But I figure maybe when they get older some of them might pick it back up. Her and I share patterns and she always coming to me for help. It's nice to have someone enjoy crocheting as much as I do.

Yes, I've taught others and or shown them stitches and techniques. Every situation has been different, but working side by side has worked best. We work on the same pattern and or stitches together. Taking it at their own pace has been ideal, nit rushing or getting impatient.

• 1 month later...

I've taught my son (he's 9) the basics and my oldest daughter (16) is now making her own afghan. I sat next to them and had them watch what I was doing and they were ably to follow along that way.

I taught many people to crochet even a lefty and she was even to understand me being a righty. Sometimes especially you been crocheting for a long time remember slow down your crocheting so they can see what your doing. Many those I taught where so proud of the things they made my lefty friend made a beautiful afghan they all made me feel proud that I showed them how to crochet.*

yea i taught a friend to crochet,,, I met her at walmart. in the yarn isle while she was trying to decide between a how to crochet or how to knit book.. and i started to talk to her and told her crochet was simpler and i could even teach her for free.. 3 yrs later she's a great friend who i still meet with all the time for crochet..

• 2 weeks later...

I taught a few people. I start in stages....slip knot and do it several times.....then chain (until it's somewhat consistent)....then single crochet back and forth so turning as well....once that's about straight keep progressing as such. If you're right handed and are teaching a left handed person, just face them and tell them to mirror you instead of doing it side by side.

Good luck! Also, I find youtube videos to be pretty good for clarification.

Yes, I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center. We have a ball! Just teach them to chain first, then sc, then dc. After that--the world is theirs! If you need any help whatsoever, just let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, the last person, was a owner of a Chinese Buffet, just last week. I had picked up some kid's crochet sets from Dollar Tree, so had them in my bag with my latest project. She always commented on my work, but with 3 small children and the buffet, time is very limited for her. I gave her one of the kits, and before my lunch was over, she pulled up a chair, and I actually showed her how to ch, sc, and dc, which she picked up in less than 10 minutes (very neat stitches, too!) I've never seen anyone learn that fast. I was so amazed that I went through my hooks, pulled out some extra's, added to some yarn and cotton yarn and a couple of easy patterns (ch plus sc dischcloths), put them all in a bag and delievered them to her. Told her I would see her next week. LOL

Such a great start, I hope she keeps it up, especially since no one in my immediate family seems interested. Keep crocheting in public, you never know who might be interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been teaching a friend of mine and just got a job teaching crochet at a local store. I agree with purples that working right next to the person you're teaching works best. I find that it's harder for me to explain (and the student to see) what I'm doing if I sit across from them. It ends up being similar to looking in the mirror.

In terms of explaining how to do certain things, I find that it's easier to say bring the yarn from the front to the back or clockwise/counterclockwise, etc. Giving more specific instructions will help the student be sure he/she is doing it right. Simply saying "Yarn over" or "pull a loop through" doesn't mean anything until they know exactly "how" to do those things.

Archived