Input: Crochetville-Sponsored Charities (Items, Funds)

Amy

I am thinking about a new initiative for 2013, if I can find a way to make this work. Read on for my ideas, and then to provide your suggestions.

Crochetville Hooked on Helping Program (name will most likely change)

1. Crochetville selects one crochet- or fiber-related charity for each calendar quarter.

2. Members can make items for that charity (send to national, regional, or local collection centers, depending on the charity).

3. Members can donate money to that charity through a special charitable fundraising site that process donations, send money to the charity, and keep track of the total amount raised through Crochetville. (I'm working on identifying a site that can handle all the legalities and take only a tiny percentage of donated amount as their processing fee so over 90% of proceeds go directly to the charity.)

4. We'll probably announce all the details for a particular charity one month before contributions for that charity go "live." This will give people a chance to decide what items they want to make, find patterns, buy yarn, etc.

5. We'll create a Crochetville Hooked on Helping page that keeps a running list of all charities we've helped and the amount of money raised and number of items donated for each. It will be interesting to see just how much we and our members are able to do as a group over the years.

Some of these details may change as we work on this program.

Your Charity Suggestions Needed

If you have a favorite crochet- or fiber-related charity you'd like us to consider, please post in this thread with the following information:

Name of Charity

Website URL

Brief description of what they do

If somebody has already posted details of a charity or charities you like, you don't need to provide all the details again. Just post with a list of the names of the charities you like.

There are probably way more than enough crochet- or fiber-related charities to keep us busy for quite a few years, which is why I'm limiting suggestions for now. If we don't get enough suggestions, I may ask for suggestions for any type of charity.

I have a suggestion? Maybe see if there are any non US branches/equivalent to the charity of the quarter? I know we have a number of Australian and UK members here, and I'm sure they'd love to see some of the love going their way!

I have a suggestion? Maybe see if there are any non US branches/equivalent to the charity of the quarter? I know we have a number of Australian and UK members here, and I'm sure they'd love to see some of the love going their way!

We can certainly consider this. It all comes down to making sure we comply with all laws for charitable solicitations. (That's why we'll be processing through a company that specializes in offering this service, so we don't have to learn the laws of 50 states!)

If the funds processing company we use can handle international solicitations, then we'll see what we can do.

We have many members from outside the US, and we love to help and support them whenever we can.

EDIT: I just checked with the organization we're thinking of using. They're only able to process funds for US-based charities. If anyone outside the US has charities they'd like us to consider, and an organization that would be able to process payments for us, please let us know. Some national US charities may have branches outside the US, so be sure to let us know if you know of any that provide assistance outside the US.

Suggested Charities:

Halos of Hope: providing in-need chemo patients with crafted hats donated by caring volunteers

Mother Bear Project: The Mother Bear Project is a grass-roots, non-profit group dedicated to providing comfort and hope to children, primarily those affected by HIV/AIDS in emerging nations, by giving them a gift of love in the form of hand-knit bears.

Heartmade Blessings: Heartmade Blessings is a not-for-profit, world-wide group of volunteers dedicated to providing hand-crafted items to those people suffering a loss, tragedy, or going through a rough time that need to be reminded of the simple fact that people care.

Warm Up America: distributes warm afghans, caps and other items to tens of thousands of people in need

Helping Hands Foundation: adults teaching needlearts to children

Project Linus: Project Linus makes hand-made blankets and quilts that are then distributed to children of all ages in need.

The Preemie Project: The Preemie Project is a nationwide, volunteer based organization located in Iowa City, Iowa. Founded in the spring of 2005, The Preemie Project strives to bring warmth, comfort, and support to critically ill infants and their families.

Thanks! That will be a great resource to look through if we need some additional ideas.

I'd prefer to start with some charities that are near and dear to the hearts of our members, if at all possible. I'm sure we'll get lots of great ideas from everyone who participates in the Crochet for Charity section, as they run across this thread. We can collect ideas for several months, so there's plenty of time for people to provide their input. :hook

Hi Amy!

This charity actually does their work in Africa but is based in Texas.

It's Hope for an Unreached World. Here is their website.

My Aunt runs it and she doesn't update the website to often. They go to Africa every summer. It doesn't say on their website, but they take donations of crocheted or knitted items of every kind. Washcloths, toys, hats, scarfs, blankets, you name it they take it. When they go to Africa they bring these items with them, and the recipients love them!

Page

What about donating items to your local or closest Salvation Army? They are an international organization and they are always in need of hats, scarves, blankets, and toys for their local communities.

Archived