Fair Season 2012 CAL

purples

I haven't seen one of these for this upcoming Fair Season, so I thought I'd start one. Personally, I've been brainstorming and project designing for this upcoming fair for a while now --- with my local fair being about 2.5 months away.

I'm attempting to enter as many categories as possible, which will include many new areas of crochet for me to work on. I usually prefer afghan and bedspread, but I want to stretch myself this year. I found a baby dress/ cartigan type item and I've been designing a couple of pieces for bedroom and kitchen, in addition to working on my afghan category already.

I figured we could start a CAL related to all of the items we are working on for our local Fairs and Festivals where we can show off and display our work to our communities.

I will join on this. I don't know that our fair even has divisions for crochet. But I have 2 afghans in the works for it. Ours is in September. Shoot..it's July already isn't it? :lol

Here are 2 projects..the blue is the Welcome afghan. It is about 90% or more finished.

The square is a completed square for my log cabin afghan. I chose the red heart log cabin pattern as it has texture to it which I find more eye appealing than just using plain dc or sc. I have probably 1/2 of the squares finished, but that means that 1/2 of the squares have that last purple round and the rest do not..so really the squares are almost done :cheer

post-35596-135897767048_thumb.jpg

post-35596-135897767051_thumb.jpg

I hope more join as I would love to see what people put into their fairs. I haven't done it before so am looking forward to this..and not :D I would like to put in some kind of bag/tote/purse and not sure what to put in. Maybe a hat/scarf something or other. :think I also have a shawl in the works I just remembered. Yeah that pink thing in the picture is not a pair of undies :lol:lol I've been ribbed a number of times about that. Fantasm shawl in a baby alpaca/silk yarn I received in an exchange.:cheer Another one I need an updated picture on as I'm much farther now

post-35596-135897767055_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 projects..the blue is the Welcome afghan. It is about 90% or more finished.

The square is a completed square for my log cabin afghan. I chose the red heart log cabin pattern as it has texture to it which I find more eye appealing than just using plain dc or sc. I have probably 1/2 of the squares finished, but that means that 1/2 of the squares have that last purple round and the rest do not..so really the squares are almost done :cheer

Your afghans are so beautiful!!! If you can compete, you will surely give others a run for their yarn and hook!

Today I've finalized my "kitchen category" item to crochet!!! I'm going to make a fruit basket out of hemp and make either all fruits or veggies to make a veggie basket using amigurumi for the items. I'm excited about experimenting with hemp for the first time!!!

I've never done a fair, and I believe our fair is this weekend, so I won't be able to join in. But I"ve been really curious about doing one, but I know absolutely nothing about it! Do you have to design your own project or can you use a pattern? Do you need permission to use the pattern? I'd really like to do one next year!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone does for their fairs and how they do! Good luck everyone!

You can use a pattern, and permission is not needed for exhibition. Some patterns prevent sales of items made.

Fair will always have information on entering on the fair web site, or by calling and getting the premium catalog

What has me so overwhelmed is that I'm attempting to enter categorie in which I have no experience crocheting, such as anything wearable (other than a hat or scarf really).

I've found a handful of good patterns that I can use, some even modify. I'm having trouble with the nerve damage in my hands it seems, so working with anything too thin or small is painful at the moment :( I'm making "testers" in cotton WW at the moment in the detachable edging category and I'm finding it fun, but challenging.

I might also be taking all of this too seriously, as I really want to do well this year. I haven't competed in years and I really have no idea what or who I'm up against. I'm trying to challenge myself in new categories of crochet so I can learn and get better and I figured that competing in the fair would be a good place to really TEST MYSELF. I want to enter as many different categories as possible, giving each category my best shot.

Bottom line, I'm feeling overwhelmed and inexperienced. I'm making a bell edging right now and it's HUGE because I'm obviously not using the correct size yarn :( I'm thinking about pinning it to what I would attach it to (or at least a sample of what I would attach it to) and then entering it that way...

Ahhhh!!!!

Well, they FINALLY posted the fair book for my local fair. And I have to start over on my sweetheart afghan. *sigh*. Minimum size for an afghan is 40" wide. My afghan was at 33" wide. My gauge was off. I wasn't concerned. Was just going to make it a baby blanket, but with that minimum I have to start over. Only good thing is that I didn't cut the white yarn, so I can undo that and still have a full skein and I only used a small amount of the colors, so I may not have to buy any more yarn! Just super frustrated!

Here are our requirements....

NEEDLEWORK – DIVISION 3

Adult Department Premiums: Amateur: 1st - Blue Ribbon -5 points 2nd - Red Ribbon – 3 points 3rd -White Ribbon

1. CROCHETING

2. KNITTING

3. SWEDISH WEAVE

4. TATTING

5. EMBROIDERY

6. NEEDLEPOINT/CROSS STITCH

7. OTHER

Yup absolutely anything goes I guess. There usually isn't a lot there in the knitting crocheting dept.

I have been pattern hunting today and I'm going to buy yarn here in a little bit for the pieces --- once I buy the yarn, I'm absolutely committed in this case because otherwise... I wouldn't be buying these types of materials! Seriously, I fear I'll be crocheting out of my "comfort zone".

I plan to enter as many different categories in crochet as possible. http://www.southplainsfair.com/pages/competitions/womens.php is where all of the information can be found, by category, in the Women's Building --- that's what they call it. They have sooooo many categories it seems!!!

I'm entering in the McHenry County Fair, again this year. I have 13 items and I probably could have made more. I'm working on my last project, a knitted scarf, made in heavy red and black stripes.

I start usually in January and start making items, and putting them aside in a box, once they are done.

At our fair, they allow 2 items per lot, so I can make two crocheted clothing items, two baby blankets, etc. I just love to enter to see how I stack up against the other people in the area.

:manyheart

I'm entering in the McHenry County Fair, again this year. I have 13 items and I probably could have made more. I'm working on my last project, a knitted scarf, made in heavy red and black stripes.

I start usually in January and start making items, and putting them aside in a box, once they are done.

At our fair, they allow 2 items per lot, so I can make two crocheted clothing items, two baby blankets, etc. I just love to enter to see how I stack up against the other people in the area.

:manyheart

WOW!!! I sure wish we could enter two per category, but the South Plains Fair only allows one per category.

I bet you will do wonderfully though - your heart is in it and you have been working on them all year. I sure wish I would have been that dedicated all year long, then I wouldn't be feeling so overwhelmed right now.

Archived