Beanie stretches out

Jayashiangel

Question

How do I keep crocheted acrylic Beanie's from over stretching after wearing a few times this happens on my DD beanie that I have to frog and restitch those row over and over every few weeks...the last rows are usually done in a single crochet (maybe 4-6 rows)

10 answers to this question

Here is the pattern... IF you have Raverly you can click the link on her page to go to the HER Raverly page as well for more details on this pattern ( w/ hook and yarn information) I used a M hook to start and a K hook for the single rows...I have crocheted this in both RHSS/Sugar and Cream COTTON/Hobby Lobby I love this Yarn Acrylic they all stretch even when I change the hook sizes to even smaller? you can

I can't find the link to Ravelry.

Are you saying you used an M and K hook with 1 strand of Red Heart Super Saver?

That would explain why it's stretching so badly. I don't use anything bigger than a J with RHSS.

You can also run a thin strip of elastic in the bottom rim of the beanie, covering it with a yarn hem, and this would help it from stretching out so badly.

And like others have said, you might be using a hook that is a little bit too big for RHSS yarn --- I never use much larger than a J either, unless I'm double stranding it.

I can't find the link to Ravelry.

Are you saying you used an M and K hook with 1 strand of Red Heart Super Saver?

That would explain why it's stretching so badly. I don't use anything bigger than a J with RHSS.

And yes using the large M/K hook combo one strand doesn't matter the yarn type I will usually do approx 4-6 sc rows as dd refers a band type hat..

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Lisemor/beanie-2 link on Raverly

Here is the pattern... IF you have Raverly you can click the link on her page to go to the HER Raverly page as well for more details on this pattern ( w/ hook and yarn information) I used a M hook to start and a K hook for the single rows...I have crocheted this in both RHSS/Sugar and Cream COTTON/Hobby Lobby I love this Yarn Acrylic they all stretch even when I change the hook sizes to even smaller? you can

The pattern calls for an M/N hook, but it is calling for SUPER bulky yarn, akin to almost a triple strand of rhss/ILTY/cotton though the yarns listed in the pattern are ww/bulky.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/beanie-2

Actually, it does matter. Even though the RHSS has a natural 'bounce back' in the yarn itself - making the stitches with an M hook makes the stitch itself too big for the natural bounce back to work.

If you've ever seen super-bulky yarn you'll see that there's a HUGE difference in size.

This is why it keeps stretching out. I would either make another one with 2 strands of 4plyww or with a super bulky yarn and compare the two so you can see it for yourself.

Archived