Yarn too short to weave in... how to fix?

MimiFL

Question

I'm sure this has been asked before, but... I am teaching crochet to this kid and she's done squares for an afghan (on her own) but left too little yarn so that she can't really weave in much. I say this time and time again to my students: leave *way* more than you need before finishing off so you can weave it in later, but nobody listens to me! :ohdear

Anyway, I think there's something out there you can use out there to help with this. As it is now, the first wash will likely unravel the whole thing. I know Fray Check is used for, obviously, keeping the thing from fraying. Does anyone know what could be used to sort of glue those ends and keep the afghan from unraveling?

You can try weaving what you can by weaving the needle thru and then attaching the yarn to it. I think at this point flexible fabric glue would be your best option. That or not actually using the square.

I had an entire afghan come apart because I left 1 inch tails. Sometimes, you just have to put these things down to a learning experience and not repeat it.

Instead of saying to leave a longer tail than you think - I've found that people listen more when you tell them a specific length. Especially, in the beginning I tell people 8-10 inches for a tail.

I would tie the tails if possible, then use the fabric glue on them. Definitely, in the future, leave longer tails.

I know a lot of people think they are wasting yarn if they leave long tails because so much is cut off in the end, but I save the snippets and some I put out on the bushes for the birds for their nests, and some I save for stuffing. Since the only stuffing I've ever seen is white, this is a way to get colored stuffing.

Yes, I tell them they're not saving any money by leaving it too short, but it's a hard point to get across. Maybe I'll suggest a length, then.

The problem is she did about 20 squares and they're all like that, so not using the square is not an option. And she's 13 so telling her to ditch the whole project would be a crushing blow. I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Any brand of flexible fabric glue? The mom will have to go buy it so it'd be nice if she knew what she was looking for specifically.

Thanks! :)

Here is a thread where several people posted with ideas for glue http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117924&highlight=Glue

I would add feedback if i had any, but all i remember now is that i could not find the brands people suggested and whatever i did use left a hard spot.

I say this time and time again to my students: leave *way* more than you need before finishing off so you can weave it in later, but nobody listens to me! :ohdear

I know the feeling!! I teach a crochet class at our local senior Center, and I literally PREACH: "Leave 6" or 7" ends for weaving in!!!" Then, someone turns in something with little tiny ends--tied, no less!!! I have just started handing it back and telling them to frog it and do it over!! I write a monthly newsletter, and remind them about leaving those long ends every time!

I have tried the Fray Check by Dritz on RHSS and it's not too bad. It does leave a telltale stiffness but would work in a pinch. Just be very stingy with putting it on. It is usually available at stores selling fabric.

"OK To Wash It" and "Flexible-Stretchable" glues by Aleene's both might leave a white, rubbery spot wherever applied. You can definitely feel it after it dries.

Boy- What an invention for someone to come up with- Yarn Glue! :lol

:cheer Just get them to unpick the last few stitches and either work them tighter or with a smaller hook.

I had to do this the other day when my ball of yarn ran out with just an inch left to thread in.

I was able to re-do the last couple of stitches to leave a bit more.

Also, when working in a shorter tail of yarn, put the needle into the place you want to thread and then thread the needle.

Make sure, when you have threaded in the tails, that you stretch the work before you snip off any leftovers.

This way you do not have the risk of the tails popping out the first time the piece is handled.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen

PS, A good rule of thumb for the length to allow is to pull up a loop in the last stitch, about 3inches then snip the middle of the loop.

Edited by Aggie May

If the tails are only an inch long the knots won't help for long if it's used. I knotted the ghan that fell apart.

I use Aleene's flexible fabric glue. I guess any brand could work but I've only ever purchased Aleene's.

Are the squares multi-color or all one color? If each square is one color she can frog a bit, join in more yarn and then she'll have tails to weave.

They're all one color, so I could ask her to frog and add more yarn - the only thing is it would add a lot more ends to weave in.

I'm not even sure all the ends are an inch long. The blanket is a gift to her grandma I think, and it's made with RHSS so it'll need to be washed at least once, just to soften it.

I do appreciate all the feedback. Now I'll be able to offer up a few suggestions to mom and daughter. :)

Tip for the kids would be if your tail is not say (5 inch) or whatever length you want them to be using then show then what will happen when you wash one ( do a quick square/or circle with a short tail) wash it by hand and it falls out or unravels sometime a VISUAL IS what people need....

Yup - she'll have twice as many tails to weave. I'll bet that she'll remember to leave longer tails after that.

Weaving is a pain but it's not really that bad. Is it worse to not add yarn and weave in double the tails or have the afghan all apart in less than a year?

Frog? What does that mean?? I'm not familiar with that term...

You know when you make a mistake while crocheting? You rip it...rip it...rip it! Kind of sounds like a frog croaking, doesn't it? That's why we call it frogging--in crochet and in knitting!

That's a really good idea. She probably wouldn't even have to frog the entire row - just enough to get 4 or 5 inches of yarn so she could work with it.

If nothing else it'll be a learning experience that she'll never forget.

I still stick with knotting this time and then have her weave in next time. Crochet is a learning process and knotting doesn't mean the piece will be ruined. She will have to be more careful when.washing it. I triple knot out of preference and have never had trouble with things unraveling.

I don't think knotting and leaving it is a good idea for this one, especially if she is making it for her grandmother. This blanket will be a treasure the whole way around. First her grandmother will treasure it when it is gifted to her and again when the little girl is an adult and looks back at making this for her grandmother. I am sure it will be well used and loved and I don't think the knots will hold up to time if there isn't some weaving involved as well.