Starting a Business

Good Afternoon,

I am in need of some advice on starting a business in selling crochet items. I want to make items & then turn around & sell them for a little (not in it to make it rich) to have a little spending money. Any suggestions would be perfect.

You're best bet would be to talk to your accountant. If you're talking about less than $400 a year you can claim it as a hobby on your taxes but you can't subtract expenses.

If you want to make it an actual business instead I totally suggest taking Amy's class "Do I want to start a crochet business?" Since you want to sell actual crocheted products you'll need to collect sales tax, check with your county to see what permits are required, your homeowner's insurance if you'll be using your home as a place of business, get a DBA (doing business as) if you want to name it something other than your name. There's more but these are just off the top of my head.

The class goes over all these things and more and directs you where to find the information you need for where you live.

Most states, counties and municipalities have relatively decent info on line about starting a new business.

However, you will also need to do some research into labeling laws -

and restrictions on materials especially if you plan to make items that will be USED (not just worn) by Children under 13.

Whatever path you choose,

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

What about selling word of mouth? You can make things specifically to order and price items custom. I'm working on a major charity project right now, but I crochet everywhere I go. People stop and talk to me and I've had quite a few serious offers lately to make personalized items.

Archived