Gather Ye Rosebuds... a floral CAL

darski

Me too, but they are my downfall also, because I wind up wanting to make the ones others post :lol. As for the stash thing, moving to a small cottage 2+ years ago relegated my stash to tubs in an unheated and uninsulated garage. Not wanting to spend time out there meant not buying more yarn to put out there. One tub at a time in the house next to my chair, kept working from each tub til almost empty. From 11+ tubs down to 3 in a little over 2 years. :D

Wow! Yay for destashing!:clap

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always think of my WIM list as "just pretend". There are ghans and such that I hope to make but they always depend on my supplies, my time and my inclination (read: heat wave :hot ) That is why the list is never carved in stone. :rofl

I do know what you mean about the heat. Today wasn't as bad, but it's been so hot here this past week! It wears me out just to go out and get the mail. I'm so happy to have a/c!! But even with that, it's still not very comfortable to work on a ghan. I'll make squares, but I'll often wait to put them together when it's cooler. Luckily in NE Ohio, "ghan season" is pretty long. :hook

Wow! You found some fun patterns!! That Clock is awesome! I hope you do that one and post pictures.

I hope I do too! LOL I've been back to Walmart 3 times to buy the clock works for that clock and they still don't have them in stock! I know I could order online, but they are only 4.97 at Walmart, and I would pay that much alone for shipping. So for now I'm being patient. The empty spot is still there, and I know my local wm is really sloooow about restocking, especially in the crafts department...

From 11+ tubs down to 3 in a little over 2 years.

Wow, that's impressive! I've been trying to knock down my stash for about 4 years now and it just seems to grow instead of shrink! I was just at my daughter's yesterday looking in her attic. I still have 8 tubs in her attic. I guess I should start bring it over one tub at a time, and if I can't find a use for it, donate it to the senior center...

April, that clock has really motivated me to use the 2 sets of clockworks I have had for years.... Bought them to make an embroidered clock, but I think I will use one set for a clock like the link you posted. After I finish my swap, though. I had taken a hiatus from the cals and swaps for almost a year as I was over commiting myself. So now I am ready to get into it again, but one of each a year is all I want to do, for now, .

I'm glad I could inspire you with the clock. It is just too cute not to make! ;)

I know what you mean about the swaps. I totally burnt myself out on them between here and other groups. I'm only in one small swap right now on another group and that will probably be my last until Christmas.

I do know what you mean about the heat. Today wasn't as bad, but it's been so hot here this past week! It wears me out just to go out and get the mail. I'm so happy to have a/c!! But even with that, it's still not very comfortable to work on a ghan. I'll make squares, but I'll often wait to put them together when it's cooler. Luckily in NE Ohio, "ghan season" is pretty long. :hook

:lol Yeah, not so fun to make a ghan during these dog days of summer! I want to start another one but you're right, its just too darn hot to have all that yarn on your lap! I'm stickin with scarves and amigurimi. :crocheting

I make motif ghans so I don't have too much 'yarn' on my lap for most of the time. I also have a good (tower) fan that keeps the air moving so I can stand the short while with a full ghan. I do tend to look for smaller in the summer though :wlol

I have decided to do an African Flower motif for my next effort here. I just grabbed whatever yarn bits I had to hand to follow the you tube vid. I now know that you need to give careful thought to yarn colours for these :rofl

Have to consider what would be good to go I guess. I'm in the middle of another ghan anyway so it will give me time to think over my colours. Solids seem to work best. has anyone tried it with variegated?

I started on my flower placemats yesterday. I like how quick they work up but the one I've made so far is in serious need of blocking. I'm actually thinking about frogging it since it's not a huge project and just re-doing it with fewer stitches...

I started on my flower placemats yesterday. I like how quick they work up but the one I've made so far is in serious need of blocking. I'm actually thinking about frogging it since it's not a huge project and just re-doing it with fewer stitches...

Well that's annoying :heehee

I'm kinda stuck just now. need a lot more thought for my AF ghan :think I'm working on a jewel box ghan right now and my mind can't seem to go forward.

Been so busy past 2 days, haven't had chance to charge camera or do pics. The heat has me down to a crawl, so that when energy comes to do something, it goes away just as fast,:lol.

Went out with girlfriend today, just to get away from stress at home. (She has issues that are making big impact on her life, and needed to vent). Went to AC Moore for the first time in ages and got such a big shock, they have cut back on the yarn department and I couldn't believe some of the prices. I was so dissapointed, AC used to be my fav place, but I didn't like it at all today. Did pick up 3 of the pound bags and a couple of skeins, but I really wasn't impressed at all. What a downer!!!

Darski, choosing colors is always the hardest part for me. I don't know if I would do variegated for a smaller motif. What I usually do is look on ravelry at the projects that other people have done with that pattern to see what colors they used. I was just over there and only saw a couple with variegated yarn. The effect of the flower was lost in the colors if that makes sense.

There was one however, that used an ombre (shades of the same color) in the background. It was subtle and pretty...

I was upset to see that AC Moore had cut back too. I still like them better than the others, but not by as much any more. I do love that mill end bin though, and when you use it with a coupon, great deal! I've gotten a lot of simply soft and cotton that way. :)

It seems I saw an afghan posted on here that used a number of variegated yarns for the flower part of a motif (a flat, straightforward one) with sharply contrasting background. It was interesting and I've filed the idea away for using up odds and ends of flower color variegated yarns. Someday....

This is awesome, I am actually working on a floral blanket right now. Does that count?? My roses on here are purple with blue accents.

:welcome aboard. any flower is good to go here :wlol

Oooh, very pretty! My list just keeps growing I tell ya! :rofl

As far as WIPs go, I reworked the placemat and adjusted the pattern a little so it lays better. Getting ready to start the second one in just a bit. I will probably post pics tomorrow. :)

I finished my set of (2) floral placemats in Olive and liked them so much I made another set in Orchid. :lol The book calls them star-shaped, but with 8 points and all the picots, to me they look like flowers. :flower

I also got started on my flower wall hanging thingies. :blush

I was only going to make one of those but again, liked it so much I had to make more!

post-19997-135897768913_thumb.jpg

post-19997-135897768916_thumb.jpg

post-19997-135897768919_thumb.jpg

I finished my set of (2) floral placemats in Olive and liked them so much I made another set in Orchid. :lol The book calls them star-shaped, but with 8 points and all the picots, to me they look like flowers. :flower

I also got started on my flower wall hanging thingies. :blush

I was only going to make one of those but again, liked it so much I had to make more!

I love those placemats... so pretty for a dinner party. :dreaming

Such pretty pieces....

I finished my doily from my test pieces, and after blocking decided to sponge tea dye it. (dipping sponge into the strong tea and dabbing it on the doily in a pattern). Been so busy working on my swap, I haven't done much else. Expecting storms, so don't know when I'll get back on, but I hope to have the pics when I do.

I have hit a bit of a snag. I'm trying to come up with a "Snow-flower square from a really pretty centre I've found but it isn't working. I am now obsessed with devising something. :think

I am finding that I am very intimidated by the African flower motif. it is partly all the ends you need and partly devising colour schemes. :(

I like your idea of using a sponge for tea dying. I have a heart shaped sponge I bought years ago that would be wonderful for that. Take care in the storm and post pics soon :wlol

I like your idea of using a sponge for tea dying. I have a heart shaped sponge I bought years ago that would be wonderful for that. Take care in the storm and post pics soon :wlol

You have to leave plenty of border room around the shape you are creating as the tea will bleed some making the edges sort of fuzzy. I just dabbed it around the center floral design and then left the edges (picots) undyed. Storm passed through, a lot of show, wind and noise but our town fared well. Supposed to have more storms tomorrow evening. I'm just too exhausted to do anything resembling work right now. I tend to stress myself out when I know the storms are heading this way. I'll be heading to bed in a few...:yawn

Here it is, I adapted the pattern from " my picot" changing rows 4 thru 6 to lay the flowers flat and reduce the size of the spaces around the flower. I also added the picot edging around 4 of the joined squares. You can see what I meant about the tea dye bleeding into the surrounding areas. I call it T 4 2. (:lol, a play on words). Hmmmm, just realized I need to reset the date on my camera, Guess the date needs to be reset when batteries die??:think.

post-14620-13589776932_thumb.jpg

post-14620-135897769325_thumb.jpg

Archived