Gather Ye Rosebuds... a floral CAL

darski

at least 5 years ago we had a Flower Themed CAL that was a whole lotta fun going on. I would like us to do it again. We will have different players this time out of course but flowers are timeless.

When I start a CAL I tend to be very hands off - I don't respond to every post etc but I do read every post. I see a CAL as a group of like-minded souls who just really want to chat about the current must do crochet.

This CAL is for anything floral. from bookmarks to king-sized ghans and anything else you want to try.

I am doing this month's charity blast with yet another floral lapghan. I've noticed that I almost always pick florals for these things :rofl

Well, anyone up for this one :?

just plain flowers are here:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/flowers.php

My fave lapghan:

http://debscrafts55.blogspot.ca/2008/03/sunflower-lap-ghan.html

I'll add in more links as we find them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo! I've been eying these 2 blankets on ravelry.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/magnolia-afghan

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/temair-throw

I REALLY want to try that one but I think it miiight be a little beyond my level right now. I think its so pretty!

Unfortunately they will have to wait. I don't think I should start any new projects til I finish the stack I have already started. Have fun!

Ooo! I've been eying these 2 blankets on ravelry.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/magnolia-afghan

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/temair-throw

I REALLY want to try that one but I think it miiight be a little beyond my level right now. I think its so pretty!

Unfortunately they will have to wait. I don't think I should start any new projects til I finish the stack I have already started. Have fun!

Every time I see the "magnolia afghan" I promise myself I will try it. I don't know the other one at all.

Just posting progress pics on the ghan that started all of this.

post-4896-135897765807_thumb.jpg

I'll be making more floral stuff so I'm going to hang in there for a bit on this one

post-4896-135897765803_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I may be late to the party, but I'm making my own version of the Mollie Flowers afghan for my niece. Instead of making the Mollie Flower and joining them together, I plan on using a different pattern flower and using up my stash for my niece's Christmas present.

I'm starting now because I did the maths and I will have to make about 400 flowers. I already started and have about 10 flowers already. So I can use this CAL to get me motivated for the other 390 blossoms (oh yeah, then there's the leaves...)

oh wow Darski, those are really pretty squares! Where'd you get the pattern? Those petals are different than ones I've seen (which doesn't mean much:lol)

oh wow Darski, those are really pretty squares! Where'd you get the pattern? Those petals are different than ones I've seen (which doesn't mean much:lol)

I started with Maggie Weldon's

But I changed her 8 petals of 4 dc each to 12 petals of 3dc each.

One thing I would change next time is to only do a ch 3 after each petal. I copied Maggie's ch 4 and I can't really complain as the ghan looked good but I do think ch 3 would have been better. :wlol

Can I join? I am currently browsing through my patterns for a floral doily to make and saw this CAL when taking a break from the hunt...(yes, I do have toooooo many patterns, lol). I am currently doing a swap so I can't devote alot of time to just the doily. This will help remind me that I have this doily gift that needs to be done also.

Thanks, I am having a hard time getting the right pattern. I want a floral motif, but not one with raised flowers (like the Irish roses), but it seems they are hard to find in my thread patterns. Most of my thread patterns are pineapple, spider lace, filet or Irish. Now I am going thru my ghan and squares patterns, to see if I can find one I can convert to thread.

Thank you....I have bookmarked the link. I just played with a pattern last night and this morning and think I may have it. I had to tweak 3 rows to lay the flowers flatter and cut back on some big spaces, but it looks good. Working on 2nd test square now to make sure they will join properly.

I think this CAL is right up my alley! My walls are totally bare and my checkbook is completely empty. I've been procrastinating, but my yarn stash is threatening to take over so I think it is time to get started! I have several flower themed WIMs that I want to get started on for my apartment, and I need to finish a couple of WIPS that are dangerously close to becoming UFOs. :hook

My "short" list of project ideas:

Need to finish Flower & Butterfly tablecloth

Would love to make one of these to hang on the wall

Really need to get cracking on a set of placemats like Afghaniac made.

Want to use this as inspiration to make a clock for the kitchen.

Totally want to make this for the folding table in my dining area.

And that's just the short list! :eek LOL So I'd love to join in if that's okay. I could really use the encouragement! :manyheart

I think this CAL is right up my alley! My walls are totally bare and my checkbook is completely empty. I've been procrastinating, but my yarn stash is threatening to take over so I think it is time to get started! I have several flower themed WIMs that I want to get started on for my apartment, and I need to finish a couple of WIPS that are dangerously close to becoming UFOs. :hook

And that's just the short list! :eek LOL So I'd love to join in if that's okay. I could really use the encouragement! :manyheart

Welcome aboard. I love your plans :ghug

Hi April, your Wim is impresseive. I have given up on WIMs since I was always changing my mind and the list. Now I just do whatever strikes me at the moment, unless it is a commitment to a swap or gift.

I finished my floral test pattern this morning, and have it pinned to block it. I need to see whether or not I want to keep it as is or tea dye it. I ran out of the original thread and did one row of the last square, and the trim in another (that I thought was the same color). After washing it to block, the second thread appeared to be a tad darker. Once it dries I can decide if it needs to be dyed or not. Even thought it is a test pattern, it did come out so nice I had hoped to keep it.

However, I did go thru my yarn tubs today to perhaps find enough of regular yarn to reproduce the pattern as a Throw or Shawl. And (I am so pleased with this) was able to condense my stash down to 3 tubs, one worsted weight, one sport/baby weight/novelty and one of my threads. I had promised myself I would get down to one tub for yarn and one for thread, so I am almost there.

Will post pics of the test doily when it is done drying.

Will post pics of the test doily when it is done drying.

I can't wait for pics - love them!

I'm not commenting on your stashbusting because I am simply incapable of doing it. Now everyone wants to give me yarn again. :sigh maybe some year :rofl

Hi Carol!

My WIM list is constantly changing too. Things are always being added or taken away, but that's what my Ravelry queue is for! I am one of those people who desperately yearns to be organized but just I just don't have the ability to do so in the physical world, so my queue is my "sanctuary". I get an odd sense of satisfaction when I clean it up and organize it. Like I've actually accomplished something, even though I know I probably haven't! :lol

Hi Carol!

My WIM list is constantly changing too. Things are always being added or taken away, but that's what my Ravelry queue is for! I am one of those people who desperately yearns to be organized but just I just don't have the ability to do so in the physical world, so my queue is my "sanctuary". I get an odd sense of satisfaction when I clean it up and organize it. Like I've actually accomplished something, even though I know I probably haven't! :lol

I always think of my WIM list as "just pretend". There are ghans and such that I hope to make but they always depend on my supplies, my time and my inclination (read: heat wave :hot ) That is why the list is never carved in stone. :rofl

I'll think about this one - I have long wanted to try the african flower square (is that what it's called?) and I loved the daisy hexagon that someone, - at the moment I don't remember who - posted as a pattern in progress. I have mixed feelings about squares since I dislike putting them together. Maybe I could find a pattern I could join as I go, a technique I haven't used before. I have buckets of colorful bits that cry out to be used in patterns like these.

At the moment, I have committed to a pile of lapghans for the Olympics, and want to finish up a couple of WIPs before then. If this is still ongoing by mid-August, I may join. Squares would be something I could easily bring to work, so would be a good project.

Meanwhile, I follow everyone's projects and progress here. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Thanks, darski. I did some searching and only found it on video. This is something of a problem since I don't have internet at home and theoretically I am not supposed to stream video at work, especially You Tube. Maybe late some night I can sneak it past and jot down the pattern. At any rate, I've marked it.

I forgot the original was a hexagon. The square would be easier. I don't like the indented sides, and making half hexagons is a nuisance, especially on small ones.

Wow! You found some fun patterns!! That Clock is awesome! I hope you do that one and post pictures. :tup

I can't wait for pics - love them!

Me too, but they are my downfall also, because I wind up wanting to make the ones others post :lol. As for the stash thing, moving to a small cottage 2+ years ago relegated my stash to tubs in an unheated and uninsulated garage. Not wanting to spend time out there meant not buying more yarn to put out there. One tub at a time in the house next to my chair, kept working from each tub til almost empty. From 11+ tubs down to 3 in a little over 2 years. :D

April, that clock has really motivated me to use the 2 sets of clockworks I have had for years...:eek. Bought them to make an embroidered clock, but I think I will use one set for a clock like the link you posted. After I finish my swap, though. I had taken a hiatus from the cals and swaps for almost a year as I was over commiting myself. So now I am ready to get into it again, but one of each a year is all I want to do, for now, :wink.

Archived