Craft Smart Yarn

ManfaMae

When I was at Michaels today getting yarn to make the "Ships Ahoy

Patriotic Throw" (pattern from the Red Heart website), I saw a yarn brand I'd never seen before: Craft Smart. The WW acrylic skeins are the same size as RHSS, but 50 cents cheaper. They had the red and white that I needed for the throw, so I got what I needed of those colors in that brand and got the navy blue in RHSS. It isn't very soft, but hopefully it will be like RH and soften up after going through the washer and dryer. I didn't see the brand in Ravelry, so I thought I'd check and see if anyone here had tried it and how they liked it.

• 10 months later...

I notice that yesterday when I was a Michael's.  Part of the reason I use Red Heart Super Saver is that it is Made in the USA.  I didn't look but does the label say where Craft Smart is made?

I just looked at one of the skeins I had bought and it does say Made in the USA of imported fibers and distributed by Michaels.

Not sure, though, if it is made specifically for Michaels but I have not seen it in any other yarn dept in any other stores.

LI Roe

I bought a skein of their variegated because I really liked the colors. It's a bit rough, but for $2.50/skein, it's not a bad yarn. I'm using it for granny squares for swapping.

I just looked at one of the skeins I had bought and it does say Made in the USA of imported fibers and distributed by Michaels.

Not sure, though, if it is made specifically for Michaels but I have not seen it in any other yarn dept in any other stores.

LI Roe

While I do not know the details of this yarn's manufacturer, it is not "uncommon" for a yarn to be made and then "private labeled" either for distribution with a chain or, as is more common - within a specific country. 

So, the same yarn might be found in another store, but branded for them.  Some of the "ruffle" yarns are a good example of this practice.  Without thinking I can name at least 20 different "brands/Private Label" but know there are really only maybe 5-6 manufacturers making the yarn. 

If you are concerned about the end product, I suggest making a good sized swatch and then washing/drying it as will be done when it is in use.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I just join Crochetville and saw this post. They just started carrying the yarn at the Michaels in my area. I used it to make scarfs and yes it is a bit rough. But it does soften a bit when you wash it. Not much though. It is still rough. It is ok for afghans but would not use it for anything else. There are a couple of yarns called 'Crafter's Secret' and 'I love this yarn' that I found at Hobby Lobby and they are supER soft. Used both to make baby sets and my customers loved it! Hope this helps

Archived