My Shawlette in Chains - Red Heart LusterSheen

Donna

shawlette_in_chains_DSCF3596_cropped.jpg

You'll see me wearing this at the CGOA Dinner if you're coming to Chain Link 2012 Manchester! I made it two years ago (hard to believe it's been that long!) but I didn't finish weaving in the ends and blocking it until a couple of weeks ago.

The pattern is Kristin Omdahl's Shawlette in Chains from Crocheted Gifts (Kim Werker / Interweave). I modified it for thicker yarn because I used Red Heart LusterSheen (sport weight) and the pattern calles for lace weight yarn.

You can see larger photos on my Flickr: back of shawl | front of shawl

Here is my project on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/yarntomato/shawlette-in-chains

My shawl turned out larger than expected because I hadn't planned on killing it, but I'm so glad I did! The softness and drape is wonderful and I love it!

How I killed this shawl:

• set iron to highest heat setting, highest steam setting
  • held the iron as close as possible to the shawl without touching it
  • blasted the living daylights out of it with steam, a small section at a time
  • while the fabric was still hot, pressed and pulled the yarn into shape with my fingers
  • blasted the same area again with steam
  • move on to the next small area until done

shawlette_in_chains_DSCF3595_cropped.jpg

Thanks, everybody! :hug

I love it! I have never however heard of "killing" crochet, lol learn something everyday, dontcha, lol.........lovely color!
Yep, killing is basically super steam blocking acrylic. But when you steam acrylic, the blocking is permanent -- meaning that after you wash it you do not have to block it again (YAY!). So that is why it is called killing -- because of being permanent.

Real stunning, both the drape and your color/yarn choice. I'd like to attempt one with a soft sparkle to it in a neutral. Thanks for the link, and I am sure you will WOW them at the CGOA dinner....

The drape you get from killing LusterSheen is totally amazing. It develops this drape, flow, and texture very similar to rayon or even silk.

I love dead LusterSheen! :D

PS: If you'll be at Chain Link, we'll have LusterSheen in our booth!

Like Katy, I never heard of the terminology of "killing" yarn. With my tremors I would be afraid to do it, probably wind up touching the yarn and REALLY killing the whole project, :lol. May try it with a swatch one of these days, then I won't feel too bad if it gets messed up.

Luster Sheen is one of the yarns I enjoy working with alot...

Archived