June Charity CAL ~ 6/21-6/26

Skysmom

Going to head out soon to the mall for my 2 mile walk,told the Dr. my #'s would be better in 6 months. I'll finish up the hat today and then work on some of the squares

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning! It's great to "hear" about everyone's projects. :)

Hi Katie ~ Snugglies are a wonderful thing for our animal shelters. :manyheart

Donna ~ Oh, your bird wall is fantastic! They must be very happy birds. :D It sounds like you'll be done with the baby 'ghan in no time. :cheer

pineknott ~ Way to go on all of the hats! :clap Walking at the malls is really popular here when it gets really hot. I try to walk about 6:30 most mornings, but have been slacking lately. :blush

My scarf needs about 30 more minutes to complete...I hope to finish it and start another one while GS is napping today. :)

I got a surprise package this morning with bunches of yarn.... :cheer:eek:cheer A yarn friend from my old apt building stopped by.

Still making flowers for my centres. Life is fun :hook

And I love the "bird wall" ddc :ghug

Good morning everyone. I crocheted at the airport yesterday while waiting for the plane to come in and again one the flight home. It was a long day and I wasn't really ready to come home, but it is good to be back home none the less.

Finally got to taking pics :cheer

here is the link to

and here is the pic of what I am doing...

[ATTACH]56421[/ATTACH]

Gorgeous, Darski. :clap:clap:clap

Since skatters was asking about us, I thought I would share the view from my recliner. When I am working at home this is what I get to look at - my wonderful bird wall, a flight for 5 (as of now) society finches. I took the pic from my recliner. Unfortunately, it has it's downside, as too often I put the crocheting on my lap and just watch the birds -- but they are a delight. It's 8' of cage for 4" birds, so there's plenty of room for them to rocket around in there.

I've decided to try a little -- very little -- ruffle on the lavender baby blanket, so it won't be finished to tonight. At least, I don't think it will.

Love your bird wall. I can't blame you for just sitting and watching their antics.

Hi everyone! I have been busy with the chemo hats - I have 2.5 more completed, so that puts me at 6.5 total.

Everyone is doing such a great job on their projects! I am very impressed with the people and participation in this thread!

darski - I love the flower square! Too cute!

donna - what a wonderful bird wall! I love birds, I think they are my favorite animals, with owls fascinating me most. I don't have any as pets though - I had parakeets once and they were LOUD. I swore I would never own more birds! But I do have a bird feeder and bath right outside, I can see from crocheting chair in the living room! I also feed the deer, bunnies and squirrels. They are a lot of fun to watch.

I will attach pictures of the first five hats I completed. I haven't gotten pictures of #6 yet, and #7 is still on the hook. The purple and turquoise two are just cotton sleep hats, nothing fancy. Then 2 more with scarves. And a beret that I am not overly thrilled with. The two more without pictures are different patterns, I need some variety!

post-53214-135897765133_thumb.jpg

post-53214-135897765136_thumb.jpg

post-53214-13589776514_thumb.jpg

post-53214-135897765144_thumb.jpg

post-53214-135897765147_thumb.jpg

Linda ~ So glad your trip was a good one!

Kate ~ All of your hats are lovely! Do you have a favorite yarn you use for them?:yarn

Darski ~ What fun to be surprised with yarn. :cheer

cshort ~ Super progress on the lapghan! :clap

Hi everyone! I have been busy with the chemo hats - I have 2.5 more completed, so that puts me at 6.5 total.

Everyone is doing such a great job on their projects! I am very impressed with the people and participation in this thread!

darski - I love the flower square! Too cute!

donna - what a wonderful bird wall! I love birds, I think they are my favorite animals, with owls fascinating me most. I don't have any as pets though - I had parakeets once and they were LOUD. I swore I would never own more birds! But I do have a bird feeder and bath right outside, I can see from crocheting chair in the living room! I also feed the deer, bunnies and squirrels. They are a lot of fun to watch.

I will attach pictures of the first five hats I completed. I haven't gotten pictures of #6 yet, and #7 is still on the hook. The purple and turquoise two are just cotton sleep hats, nothing fancy. Then 2 more with scarves. And a beret that I am not overly thrilled with. The two more without pictures are different patterns, I need some variety!

I really like all your hats, especially those with the scarves and the beret. :cheer :cheer :cheer

Skatters --- your hats are amazing!!! Wow! I made my first ever chemo hat yesterday, but I'm not even sure if it's long enough to fit well on a head (my head doesn't fit into hats and I don't have a model, but it's about 8inches from top to bottom).

I haven't had a chance to crochet yet today, but I'm going to work on some washcloths before I go to bed. I had a very long, stressful day at work, then had to run some errands this afternoon. I'm exhausted and not even sure if I'll grab my yarn --- I'm feeling very crummy, almost sick tonight. I work a full shift tomorrow at work too, so I might not get much yarn time in until Sunday.

Will post a picture of the chemo hat tomorrow, after I can take it to a place with better lighting than my apartment.

I've never done anything like this before, (and I'm at work, will be able to post more fully in about an hour) but am I getting this correctly that we crochet for charity within this one week (starting yesterday) and at the end of the week tally up the totals? During this week we check in, cheer each other on, and basically do an online coffe klatch?

Je-Rel Drood, that sounds about right!

darski, that a really nice square. I would have said "neat" but that would be seriously showing my age. Nice colors too.

Kate, I really like the scarf hats, and the other two are a good pattern. I don't like the beret as well as the others, but lots of people really enjoy wearing berets, so I wouldn't give up making them.

Thanks all the compliments on my bird flight. I've only had birds again since February. Parakeets are loud, but the finches have a little twittering chirp, and the males have a pleasant song.

I finished the lavender blanket, at last. It wasn't just the stitch. I really didn't care for the shade, RHSS Pale Plum. I bought it online, but had I seen it first, I would not have bought it. I had two skeins, and used it down to a 2" ball. That's small enough for me to rejoice that it is destashed and done with. Forever.

I fiddled around with ruffles, and nothing was working. This morning I decided to try reverse sc for an edging. I've tried it in the past, and it was slow and awkward and I never persevered with it. Today I gritted my teeth and told myself "just sit here until it's done!" After a couple of feet, I finally got the knack of it, and hit a rhythm with it, and it began moving along. I found when I did I was holding my hook somewhat differently. That surprised me. Anyway, I made it work, and finally this stitch is in my repertoire for edgings. So it was a Good Day.

Pic soon.

@ddc Crab stitch is a great item to keep in your 'crochet kit'. There are times when nothing else quite does the trick as well.

I'm glad you have it down now. Ain't life grand :ghug

Good Morning! :)

I've never done anything like this before, (and I'm at work, will be able to post more fully in about an hour) but am I getting this correctly that we crochet for charity within this one week (starting yesterday) and at the end of the week tally up the totals? During this week we check in, cheer each other on, and basically do an online coffe klatch?

Yes! 'Hope you can join us!:manyheart

Purples ~ Feel better soon. :hug

Donna ~ Congratulations on finishing the baby 'ghan. :clap I love the way reverse sc looks - yay for learning a new stitch!

Darski ~ Flowers done already! :cheer How many squares will the lapghan have?

Happy Crocheting, everyone.:hook

This square is smaller than mu usual style so I need 35 squares. These flowers are finicky to make. I do have some squares further along but I do like to get my centres started.

I should mention - if you watched Maggie's video- that instead of making 8 petals with 4dc each I am making 12 petals with only 3 dc each. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :rofl

Good morning everyone. I'm getting back to a more normal pace and hope to a bunch on the new prayer shawl later today.

Welcome Je-Rel! You've got it right.

I finished the lavender blanket, at last. It wasn't just the stitch. I really didn't care for the shade, RHSS Pale Plum. I bought it online, but had I seen it first, I would not have bought it. I had two skeins, and used it down to a 2" ball. That's small enough for me to rejoice that it is destashed and done with. Forever.

I fiddled around with ruffles, and nothing was working. This morning I decided to try reverse sc for an edging. I've tried it in the past, and it was slow and awkward and I never persevered with it. Today I gritted my teeth and told myself "just sit here until it's done!" After a couple of feet, I finally got the knack of it, and hit a rhythm with it, and it began moving along. I found when I did I was holding my hook somewhat differently. That surprised me. Anyway, I made it work, and finally this stitch is in my repertoire for edgings. So it was a Good Day.

Pic soon.

:clap:clap:clap Yay for learning a new stitch. Like you, I had a bit of a problem with it at first, but now it's part of my stitch arsenal. I just have to make sure that the loop is extra loose and then it works fine. Can't wait to see the pictures of it.

And she does it.......:party:woo:jumpyay I now have all my centre flowers done. :whew

It will go much more quickly now :hook

:cheer:clap Hooray!!! :clap:cheer Way to go, Darski!

well,had to put the square I started working last night aside,half way through I realized it wasn't a charity square,but part of the granny cal

went for my 2 mile walk,but last nights rain must have imflamed my joints in my big toe,boy was it tender.

sil in ICU,bp pills made his throat swell up

pineknott - I hope your sil is ok - that's really scary.

darski - I feel your pain, as they say. I've had "good ideas" like that too. But they are really pretty squares.

I was charging away on the second baby blanket, a spiderweb pattern I was resizing from a baby yarn pattern (Itsy Bitsy Spiderweb in Leisure Arts Our Best Baby Afghans). It's of course not as pretty in the coarser yarn, but I'm really trying to de-stash my RHSS. I re-measured after row 10 and it was not wide enough, so I had start over. But it's a really fast pattern - I LOVE crocheting around holes!

It is very dead in the library today, only one person on the main floor and probably a few studying upstairs and down, and I only have about an hour's real work to do in the next eight, so I should get a lot done on it. If I stop reading here and get started!

well,had to put the square I started working last night aside,half way through I realized it wasn't a charity square,but part of the granny cal

went for my 2 mile walk,but last nights rain must have imflamed my joints in my big toe,boy was it tender.

sil in ICU,bp pills made his throat swell up

Hope it's just a short stay, but that is very scary. :hug

pineknott - I hope your sil is ok - that's really scary.

darski - I feel your pain, as they say. I've had "good ideas" like that too. But they are really pretty squares.

I was charging away on the second baby blanket, a spiderweb pattern I was resizing from a baby yarn pattern (Itsy Bitsy Spiderweb in Leisure Arts Our Best Baby Afghans). It's of course not as pretty in the coarser yarn, but I'm really trying to de-stash my RHSS. I re-measured after row 10 and it was not wide enough, so I had start over. But it's a really fast pattern - I LOVE crocheting around holes!

It is very dead in the library today, only one person on the main floor and probably a few studying upstairs and down, and I only have about an hour's real work to do in the next eight, so I should get a lot done on it. If I stop reading here and get started!

Have fun. With it that quiet you should be able to get a lot done.

I'm joining in this month as I'm working on the Warmth for Warrior mini Christmas stocking project. We are making 6 inch stocking for the troops and adding little soaps and shampoo bottles in the socks. You can read more about our project here.

post-10977-135897765673_thumb.jpg

Here are two stockings I did today using up scrap yarn I had on hand. Here is the crochet pattern I used and just made some changes to fit the yarn I had left.

I just love charity crafting and am so happy to join in this month with your group. I'm reading all the posts now to catch up with everyone's projects.

Archived