June Charity CAL ~ 6/21-6/26

Skysmom

Good Morning! I loved reading your posts from yesterday. A dental appt. and babysitting for my grandson made it a full day. :)

Pineknott ~ Thanks for letting us know about the S. O. scarves! It's always been such a great program and it's too bad they're not continuing it. :think

Darski ~ Ouch! So sorry to read about your finger and I hope it heals quickly. :hug

Bailey ~ Way to go on finishing the doll blanket. You are definitely determined to make up for not being able to crochet! :clap

Kate ~ Your chemo hat and scarf are lovely! I'm an Iowa girl, too. My dad was transferred to Dallas when I was about 14, so have been in Texas a very long time. ;) I'm married (40 years) and have one DD, a wonderful son-in-law and one grandson - with another on the way. We're animal lovers, too.:)

I was able to crochet about 1/3 of a scarf while little one was napping yesterday and hope to have some time today, too. Have a great morning!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry the SO scarf project is not continuing in 2013, apparently there was an abundance of scarves in 2012 which will be given out in 2013. Here is a link to the official announcement.

http://scarvesforspecialolympics.wordpress.com/

So I think I will work on some lapghans for the nursing home where my sewing guild group meets. We also sew fleece lap blankets and wheelchair bags for them since they let us use the room for free each month.

We promise not to tell if you start early! :wink:D

Well I did start a bit early by testing my idea for the square :blush but I like to stay within the guidelines just as a test of my speed and ability :wlol

Good morning. I've made a start on a prayer shawl just so that I got it started. Will be working on it at the airport tomorrow and if I'm really energetic on the plane ride back to Georgia.

Skatters, welcome to the group. Your chemo hat and scarf are great.

I'm a senior and have been a companion/care giver for a lady who's had multiple strokes. I've been with she and her husband for 8 years. They are moving to Texas and I'm staying in Cumming and moving to an apartment on the 2nd of July. I'm the mother of two and have one grandson.

I learned to crochet when I was about 9 years old and have been doing it ever since. I think that the speed comes with years of practice. Some days I'm speedier than others. It just depends on how I feel and how much I'm concentrating on it.

I'm sorry the SO scarf project is not continuing in 2013, apparently there was an abundance of scarves in 2012 which will be given out in 2013. Here is a link to the official announcement.

http://scarvesforspecialolympics.wordpress.com/

So I think I will work on some lapghans for the nursing home where my sewing guild group meets. We also sew fleece lap blankets and wheelchair bags for them since they let us use the room for free each month.

That's disappointing!

one more day,I'm continuing on the ubw hats for the homeless and doing some squares for Crochet Cleveland

my home state is NY,Va. was our last stop in his military carreer and just far enough away not to have to visit every week,its been 12 yrs since I've been up there.

Mary – Yay for us Iowa girls! I grew up in Nebraska and moved to Des Moines when I was 13. Midwest is all I have known… and I am not complaining! But if we could just move the Midwest just a tad bit south… to avoid the harsh winters, of course!

Cshort – thanks for the link to the SO announcement. On facebook last night, there was a huge outcry about the announcement. I don’t quite get it… if they have what they need for this year, isn’t that a GOOD thing? We can spend our time creating for another worthwhile charity! It just seemed that people were all-or-nothing about it. If they couldn’t do SO scarves, they weren’t going to do anything.

Darski - I loved your post about being ready and waiting! I know you are going to work on a lapghan… for which type of charity? You mentioned having the square chosen out… so is the lapghan a repeat of that one square? I would love to see some – I might have to stalk your username and see what projects you have posted!

Linda – Nice to meet you! I do hope the move in July is a good, happy one for you! Taking your shawl to the airport to work is a great idea! I am just now learning to take projects with me. But of course the times I forget are the times I need it most – usually waiting for my son to get off work, since I am playing “taxi mom” this summer. It just now occurred to me that maybe I could make a project bag to leave in the car… will have to think of an appropriate car project!

Pineknott – what does “ubw” stand for?

Well I got started last night, as I couldn’t sleep. I have this awful thing where I can sleep 3-4 nights in a row, then I have one night where I don’t sleep a wink. Then the pattern repeats. I have gotten used to it though. And I even have started to enjoy it a bit. It’s super quiet and no one expects anything of you in the middle of the night. No chores. No chattering children. Animals asleep. So I got 3 chemo hats done last night/today. Nothing fancy – 2 with the scarves, and one plain sleep cap. I started another sleep cap not long ago too. Oh, and I almost forgot – I took the time last night to write down my very first pattern! It is the sleep caps, with no seams or knots. It is not an original piece of work by any means – but it is nice having the pattern written down the way *I* do it. I will post my contribution in big bold letters as Mary says! Am I supposed to post pictures of completed projects, too?

CHEMO CAPS: 3

UBW = Ugly But Warm hat by Dot Matthews.

My lapghans now have a place to go as I have a friend's grandson who works in a seniors home. I do work on one square only for my ghans and this one is an adaptation of a square I found on You Tube from Maggie Weldon.

Hi everyone! Looking forward to the "official" start tomorrow. :)

Kate ~ Wow! You've already accomplished a lot!:clap If you would post a final total on the 26th or 27th, too...just in case I miss any posts. :blush Of course, we want to hear about and/or see what everyone is working on every day!

Linda ~ Safe travels tomorrow! :manyheart

Pineknott ~ Can't wait to see your projects again this month. :)

Hi everyone.

For my exciting background - another senior here, but free! No kids or grandkids. For pets, I have a large flight for society finches that in front of my crocheting chair. Very relaxing, at least when all the birds are playing nice. One has been a real patoot the last couple of days.

I do all my crocheting for charity since I don't need anything at all, well, not quite true. I made some coasters for myself in January. But that's all. Besides it's HOT where I live.

As I posted when I rejoined this CAL, I do lapghans for a local hospice program and this summer I'm doing baby blankets for the same hospital. One of the administrator types is a friend of mine, so I just hand them off to her and she distributes them - either to the hospice or the center for abused children, or stray dogs for all I know, but I leave it up to her to use them where are most needed.

As for speed, yes, I agree, it comes with years and years of crocheting. Complex patterns are slower, but since I love to listen to audiobooks while I work, I have to use my brain for that, and with rare exceptions I do patterns that don't require much attention - either to the pattern itself or fiddly stitches, so that definitely speeds things up. The current book is Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby, a lo-o-o-o-ng listen!

I'm the night supervisor in a medical school/hospital library (shhhh! not the hospital I donate to), and I have a lot of downtime at work that I can use to crochet if I get myself in gear to do it. At least until someone says I can't, but so far, no one has.

I'm eager to officially begin tomorrow, but I'll be working on some current WIPS, so it won't be new stuff. I decided to forge ahead on the evil boring lavender blanket and get that done, then also try to finish up a daisy round ripple. I'm off Monday and Tuesday and I plan to give myself as much crocheting time as I can.

I won't be able to post results until I get to work on Wednesday afternoon - no internet at home at present, but I'll definitely check in then. I hope it won't be too late to stand up and be counted!

good morning

first food shopping,then relaxing and getting some much needed hooking time in,it promises to be another scorcher here today,90 before 9am UGH,and its only June

Good Morning! :)

Donna ~ Of course Wednesday is fine for posting totals! The lavendar ghan won't be so evil when it's completed. :D

Pineknott ~ Try and stay cool! We're used to 90's and 100's this time of year, but that's really hot for your part of the country, isn't it?

Darski ~ Looking forward to the pictures and link!:hook

I hope to finish one scarf by this evening. :crocheting

Good morning,

I'm hoping the computer and I are doing fighting this morning, this is my 4th attempt to post here. I started a lapghan last night and hope to get a good bit done on it today.

I'm in! I'm going to INTENTIONALLY CROCHET FOR CHARITY THIS WEEK, which is going to make my week super yarn awesome :) I'm always working on things for various people and charities, but this week I'm going to do as much for others as I can.

I'm off work today, so I'm going to give this new hat pattern I came across a shot. I've got two balls/ skeins of yarn on my bed, next to me and my computer. They are chemo hats and I would love to make some to donate to a local cancer center, as my grandfather out of town has been going through chemo and has recently lost all of his hair.

Not sure what my goals will be later, but right now I'm off to make (try to make) some chemo hats! I'm so excited and I'm entering this project with an attitude of gratitude because God has allowed me to be healthy enough to make something for someone else.

Good Morning! :)

Donna ~ Of course Wednesday is fine for posting totals! The lavendar ghan won't be so evil when it's completed. :D

Pineknott ~ Try and stay cool! We're used to 90's and 100's this time of year, but that's really hot for your part of the country, isn't it?

Darski ~ Looking forward to the pictures and link!:hook

I hope to finish one scarf by this evening. :crocheting

its a bit early,this is whats normal for August

Okay - update --- the pattern I found had errors in it and I have not been in the mood for fixing them... haha... argh... it drives me crazy when patterns have errors that make it difficult to work.

I've since found another pattern, that I'm modifying, to make a hat pattern of my own :)

Got home last night from long drive to Nebraska and back to see our son and family. Brought our granddaughter home with us for a month will not have as much time to work on charity project as planned but I'll pop in to see how everyone is doing at least. Not sure what I will be working on.

Darski ~ Love the colors and the pattern! The yellow and aran show off the flower colors really well. :cheer

purples ~ Hi! Sorry about the pattern errors, but your new idea sounds great. :)

Darlene ~ Wow! That is a super long drive. Come say Hi whenever you have a chance. :yes

cshort ~ I hope your computer is behaving now. Mine is just worn out and I'm currently researching what I want to get...hope this one lasts until I decide. :lol

Another hour and it's crochet time for me. My grandson (2 years) will be here tomorrow and part of Saturday, so I need to steal the time when I can. :)

The end is in sight on the lavender baby blanket. I worked on that today with morning tea and while I sat in the apartment laundry room. I usually take my Kindle, but hauled over the blanket today.

Last night - after midnight so it counts! - I fiddled with a couple of new patterns. One is great, but I had to frog it all - my beginning chain wasn't loose enough and it ruffled (grrr!). The other I was testing gauge with some yarn I got on clearance. It will be fine, but these are both for later. So, actually, I guess it doesn't count, does it? :lol

I'll get some done of the blanket later tonight at work and on my break. I would love to finish it before bedtime, but that may be unrealistic. Anyway, all in all, a good start.

Hi all,

working on a snugglies project for the animal shelter, got a few done, will do a few more, and make the donation early next week! Two strands held together, an N hook, and any size, color, or pattern you like, who could ask for an easier and more grateful customer than those animals in the no kill shelter, huh! Ill pic them, before i package them up, with a box of milk bones, and a couple cans of Pounce!:cat:dog

Since skatters was asking about us, I thought I would share the view from my recliner. When I am working at home this is what I get to look at - my wonderful bird wall, a flight for 5 (as of now) society finches. I took the pic from my recliner. Unfortunately, it has it's downside, as too often I put the crocheting on my lap and just watch the birds -- but they are a delight. It's 8' of cage for 4" birds, so there's plenty of room for them to rocket around in there.

I've decided to try a little -- very little -- ruffle on the lavender baby blanket, so it won't be finished to tonight. At least, I don't think it will.

post-39480-135897764999_thumb.jpg

Archived