June Charity CAL ~ 6/21-6/26

Skysmom

:welcome It's almost time for another Charity CAL! Everyone is welcome to join in and share ideas, projects and/or pictures.

Linda has asked me to fill in for her this month and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on! :) I'll be working on more scarves and plan to start another baby afghan as soon as I go yarn shopping. :yarn

See you soon! :manyheart

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm restricted from crocheting do to surgery, but I am looming some items for my doll project.

I have a doll hat, scarf, and shawl finished. I'm trying to figure out how to make a scrap doll afghan on the circle looms.:lol:lol

I can't wait to get back to crocheting!!!

Hi, everyone and thanks to Mary for being hostess this time. I'm on vacation in Iowa this week and next week and will be doing final packing for my move to an apartment when I get back. Not sure how much I'll be able to do, but will try to drop by as often as possible.

I'm restricted from crocheting do to surgery, but I am looming some items for my doll project.

I have a doll hat, scarf, and shawl finished. I'm trying to figure out how to make a scrap doll afghan on the circle looms.:lol:lol

I can't wait to get back to crocheting!!!

Take it easy Bailey until the doc gives the okay on more crochet.

I'll be working on squares and scarves if they announce the colors for the special olympic scarves by then, I'm hoping they do.

boy do I hear you,its taking a long time,guess they shouldn't have said late May,it kinda gave false hope,one yr it was 21 June,that would be the day we start this cal :hook

Hi everyone! I've been watching for the special olympic scarves' information, too. Hopefully, it will be available very soon.

Bailey ~ So sorry about the surgery, but it sounds like you're obeying the doctor's orders. :wink:hug

Linda ~ Enjoy the rest of your vacation! :manyheart

Hi! I've been a dropout for probably a year - I just got really busy. I continued crocheting off and on, and have done a fair amount since December, but never seemed to get around to posting, or even looking at the forum much except for the show and tell afghans. But I'm back!

I crochet mostly lapghans for a hospice program, but this summer I've decided to do smaller baby blankets for the hospital. So I'll be working on those. I have two started. A yellow, white and green round ripple - fun, and a lavender one that is BORING to work on. I'll be plugging away on both, so I'll join in here. It will be fun to do crochet-alongs again. My goal will be to finish the round ripple and make myself do at least two rows on the lavender every day.

I would love to join a CAL! Not sure what ill be doing as there's so many worthy charities, but I think I will do washcloths and see.where that takes me!

I would love to join a CAL! Not sure what ill be doing as there's so many worthy charities, but I think I will do washcloths and see.where that takes me!

Whatever you decide to make will be great! We're glad you're here! :)

Donna ~ Welcome back to the 'Ville. :hook Setting a goal is such a good idea!

Hi! checking in! started my facecloths for the Warriors For Warmth. I'm using the Corded Cloth pattern that Recycle Cindy provided. This is giving me the added benefit of destashing as I''m using some Sugar 'n Cream that I found in the bottom of my stash box!

Signing in... I have my square all picked out for another lapghan. In fact my next thing to do is to get a bag for the stuff I'll be using. Thanks for posting early... I start looking by the 10th of the month for our notice.

Love the focus.

Hi! checking in! started my facecloths for the Warriors For Warmth. I'm using the Corded Cloth pattern that Recycle Cindy provided. This is giving me the added benefit of destashing as I''m using some Sugar 'n Cream that I found in the bottom of my stash box!

Way to go on being able to use stash! The facecloths are a great idea. :)

Signing in... I have my square all picked out for another lapghan. In fact my next thing to do is to get a bag for the stuff I'll be using. Thanks for posting early... I start looking by the 10th of the month for our notice.

Love the focus.

Can't wait to see your project, Darski! :crocheting

I know it's only Sunday, but I've neglected to mention some information for those who are new to this CAL.:blush

Please keep track of what you're working on and/or finishing by Tuesday night, June 26th - everything counts! Then post in large, bold colors what you've made so we can post totals a day or two later. :hook

Thanks!:manyheart

I'll be working on prayer shawls and/or preemie afghans again this month when I get the chance. With final packing going for my move, I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but I'll certainly try to get some time in.

Hi everyone! I am new to this CAL - but am looking forward to it! I am working on chemo hats this month... but I will make a special push to get more done this week!

They announced the special olympic colors a couple of weeks ago, I think. Is this what you are looking for? The 2012 colors? Unless I am missing something... http://www.redheart.com/blog/2012-special-olympics-usa-scarf-project

Edited to add - after further research, I see that the 2013 colors are what you guys are waiting for - my mistake! Sorry if I got anyone's hope up!

I look forward to joining again!

Hi everyone! I am new to this CAL - but am looking forward to it! I am working on chemo hats this month... but I will make a special push to get more done this week!

They announced the special olympic colors a couple of weeks ago, I think. Is this what you are looking for? The 2012 colors? Unless I am missing something... http://www.redheart.com/blog/2012-special-olympics-usa-scarf-project

Edited to add - after further research, I see that the 2013 colors are what you guys are waiting for - my mistake! Sorry if I got anyone's hope up!

I look forward to joining again!

Hi Kate! We're glad you're here. :hook

Hi Mary! I am working on chemo caps like the one below, with the scarves. I have hit up all my friends and family, and scoured all the 2nd hand stores to find scarves. I think I have 20-some scarves - and only 4 hats completed! So this is what I am concentrating on, with the occasional other hat pattern thrown in to break up the monotony. I will make a goal of getting FIVE hats done this week.

I am curious to see what everyone else is working on too!

post-53214-135897764833_thumb.jpg

I hope this isn't out of line... but I would love to form more personal connections with people here at the 'ville. While we are "waiting" to get started, I would love to get to know you gals better! If this is not suited for here, I will move it elsewhere - don't be shy about letting me know!

I'll start... I am a single mom of 3. My daughter is 11 and she loves yarn crafts, especially knitting. My step-son is 17 and my son is 21. I am an animal lover - we have five cats, a greyhound, a rabbit and a hedgehog - all rescued pets. Although I love them all, the greyhound is my special baby... we have had her just 2 or 3 months now. She is a retired racing hound, and has never been exposed to anything but the kennel at the track. So it has been alot of fun watching her learn about life as a pet! The other day she learned what it is like to hang her head out the window while riding in the car - she was so happy she was smiling and drooling!

I spend most of my crochet hours crocheting for charity. For a few years, I would put borders on flannel and fleece blankets for Project Linus. And that's all I did, lol. This past year I have started to branch out to other things, chemo hats and preemie blankets and hats. I also crocheted four shawls for Christmas gifts. I have been eyeing a skirt (the red one in CrochetToday Apr/May issue) for my daughter... my first apparel piece!

I started my very FIRST project for myself the other day - a granny stripe afghan. It feels awkward working on it, like I am being selfish. But I will get over it! It's just been too warm to keep the blanket on me while crocheting. I also want to make some dishcloths for myself - they are really nice to use. My daughter made a couple as practice with her knitting.

So tell me more about you! I am all ears!

What a neat idea Kate... I've been a member here for a little more than 6 years.

I'm a senior :sigh with 2 sons and 3 grand kids.

My major claim to crochet fame is my doll clothes designs - most of which have been posted here at the Ville. I love doing those but I still stand by my motto: "When in doubt; make a hat"

Just about everything I make goes to one charity or another. I just like the making part; keeping not so much :wlol

NB - I have sliced my middle finger on my left hand :eek. I can still crochet but not quite as quickly.

Can't wait to start...:dreaming

I make mostly toys and doll items. I have family that struggles financially so much of what I make goes to bringing a little sunshine to the kids. While lots of kids have expensive toys, thanks to the many generous people that donate patterns, they have some of the best dressed dolls and creative ami's out there that gives them an edge in the bragging dept. I'm told.

I've been working with a local tech high school on a holiday donation project for dolls. I also donated some dinos that I was told went over well.

Since I still am not back to crocheting yet, I finished looming a doll blanket for the project last night.

Hi Darski! Nice to meet you! I would love to see a couple of your patterns, if you find the time to link me. I have never tried doll clothes... my 11 yr old is out of dolls and I don't have any other little girls in my family.

I am sorry to hear about your finger! Is it serious? Glad you can still crochet, even if not as fast. Must be frustrating!

That reminds me, I keep wanting to ask all of you fast crocheters... HOW did you get fast? Is it just practice for years kind of thing? Is there a certain way you hold your hook or feed your yarn or rest your hooking arm on a pillow or ... or... any tips would be great!!

Hi Bailey! Nice to meet you! Sorry to hear about your surgery. Do you have any idea how long it will be until you crochet again?

I think it is wonderful that you donate to a holiday doll project. What a wonderful idea. And it goes to show that quality over quantity is the way to go.

When I am crocheting for charities, I sometimes debate that very same issue. Is it better to have fewer elaboratly decorated items? Or better to have more of plain items to reach more people? Preemie hats is a good example... it takes me about 2 hours to crochet a hat. Then another 2-4 hours to decorate it - with an applique, a flower, animal face, etc. So in that time, I could have crocheted another plain hat. I really struggle with this concept.

Crocheting for family is a great thing, Bailey. I am glad you have such a great and creative way to help your family!

well,for those of us waiting for the word on Special Olympic scarf Project

its been ended,I received an e mail to that effect

I'm a bit sad,I worked on scarves for about 6 yrs.

well,for those of us waiting for the word on Special Olympic scarf Project

its been ended,I received an e mail to that effect

I'm a bit sad,I worked on scarves for about 6 yrs.

Oh my goodness. did they give you a reason why?? It seems odd, I thought they had no shortage of scarves...

Archived