Knotting yarn

purples

Question

When I first started to crochet, I was told that knotting my yarn was bad - almost taboo... but for me, it is a much more secure way to join colors and end projects.

I tend to make things that are either highly used or where the knotting is hidden (in decorations with backing). I made myself a blanket and wove my ends, then washed it, and my ends all came out and made the blanket all fuzzy --- I ended up going back and knotting each yarn (5 times per row!). I'm very hard on my blankets because I give them lots and lots of love!!

When I entered a competition years back, they told me that knotting was an acceptable way to end projects and or join yarn, as long as it didn't look bad or impact the quality of work). Since then, I've learned how to hide the knots and make it work for me. I'm so afraid of an item falling apart with wear and tear.

Soooo... what does everyone else think?

(When I entered a competition years back, they told me that knotting was an acceptable way to end projects and or join yarn, as long as it didn't look bad or impact the quality of work). Since then, I've learned how to hide the knots and make it work for me. I'm so afraid of an item falling apart with wear and tear.

I think that about sums it up.:hook

But if you still want to try not tying knots, have you considered using a Russian Join?

Archived