Knotting yarn

purples

Question

When I first started to crochet, I was told that knotting my yarn was bad - almost taboo... but for me, it is a much more secure way to join colors and end projects.

I tend to make things that are either highly used or where the knotting is hidden (in decorations with backing). I made myself a blanket and wove my ends, then washed it, and my ends all came out and made the blanket all fuzzy --- I ended up going back and knotting each yarn (5 times per row!). I'm very hard on my blankets because I give them lots and lots of love!!

When I entered a competition years back, they told me that knotting was an acceptable way to end projects and or join yarn, as long as it didn't look bad or impact the quality of work). Since then, I've learned how to hide the knots and make it work for me. I'm so afraid of an item falling apart with wear and tear.

Soooo... what does everyone else think?

I knot at the side seam where it will be sewn up. If thats not an option I do a Russian join.

This has kept me from lacy patterns and thread crochet as im afraid of tails and knots showing.

I just weave the tail through the center of the individual stitch, it makes it a teeny bit thicker but it blends in.

Ok call me a newbie here (which I guess I am:think) but I'm confused.

When you say that you knot the yarn, do you mean you just tie the new piece of yarn to the old one?

I guess so far I've just kinda done a slip stitch/work the new yarn into the middle of doing my last stitch and work in the tails as I go. The stitch with both yarns is obviously bigger but it blends right in. It seemed to work but then again I didn't really wash any of them...

Keep in mind I haven't done very many projects yet and most of them haven't been too complex with more than 2 colors. :shrug

Ok call me a newbie here (which I guess I am:think) but I'm confused.

When you say that you knot the yarn, do you mean you just tie the new piece of yarn to the old one?

I guess so far I've just kinda done a slip stitch/work the new yarn into the middle of doing my last stitch and work in the tails as I go. The stitch with both yarns is obviously bigger but it blends right in. It seemed to work but then again I didn't really wash any of them...

Keep in mind I haven't done very many projects yet and most of them haven't been too complex with more than 2 colors. :shrug

You can join the way you describe. You need to weave in the ends, not just crochet over them. Good summary here on how to join new yarn http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/join-new-yarn.htm

I knot all the time and have won ribbons in a local fair twice, even with knots. I double knot and tighten them so you can barely feel it, then I weave the ends in either direction and back again. I have never had anything come apart. I think the whole trick is how you do it.

LI Roe

I watched the video and learned to do the "magic knot". I think I really like it. The piece I am using the knot in will be mine, and something I will use and wash frequently, so it will be a good test to see how it works. Fingers crossed!

I'm really good at hiding my knots.

I weave the end of the thread thru the base of the stitches. With thread I don't feel a need to weave in different directions. It stays together just fine for me.

You can hide the knot and the weave (or just crochet over) in thread easily. Please don't let worrying about that hold you back from trying it.

I absolutely knot ends and joins both! Do you know how hard a washing machine flings around the items it is washing? Ends would be yanked right out if they were not tied.

I tie, then cut long ends. I weave in the long ends separately so they don't cause lumps. Once in a while I've had an end pull out by 1 st, so I just pop it back in.

I recently saw a child's sweater someone made, and ended the armhole seam at the top, near the neck. It was knotted, then just cut, and there it was, showing and ruining the look of the cute sweater. After all that work, this person couldn't take another minute or 2 to cut long tails and weave them in, and the knot wouldn't have been noticed. Instead, the knot and 2 little splayed out ends couldn't be missed.

I completely agree with do not tie a knot and trim the end close to it. I did that when I first started crocheting and my multi-color afghan fell apart.

I do knot. I also leave a 7-8 inch tail and weave it in just as I would if I didn't tie a knot.

Some people do - some people don't. It's a matter of personal preference. I've learned to hide my knots really well - usually inside the stitch. It really does look awful if they poke through.

I have an acquaintance that flat out refuses to weave in ends. She just ties a knot and leaves the tail hanging out. It looks awful.

Gosh, after working so hard to finish something, why on earth would she want to do that? :think It would make me crazy! :eek LOL

Mostly cuz she's lazy and by the time she puts down her hook she's just so finished with the project that she couldn't be bothered with it.

Well, that explains it! :D

I knot at the side seam where it will be sewn up. If thats not an option I do a Russian join.

This has kept me from lacy patterns and thread crochet as im afraid of tails and knots showing.

So, question for everyone that uses knots: do you knot in your garments?

I have a top i made a long time ago and have hardly worn, but a knot that i tied in it has worked its way to the front of the fabric. It would drive me nuts to be worrying about this happening with things i make now. Plus i just do not want to feel a knot in a sweater i am wearing.

The other thing to remember is to leave a long enough tail to weave in properly. Knotted or not - if the tail isn't long enough it'll come undone with use.

The first ghan I made my Mom turned into a show piece. She used it daily and 1 inch tails fell apart.

I googled Russian knot and came up with the following video tutorial. I think I'll try it next time I need to join in the middle of a row. Interesting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVWgbEBkEkA

I am a no-knotter. I do not tie hard knots in my crocheting or knitting. I will sometimes do a semi-knot, basically just crossing the yarns over each other, before weaving in the ends. I think knots are likely to be able to be felt in the fabric, or to show through. I have read that knots can actually cause strain on the yarn and make it weaker.

What is a magic knot? I never heard of that and I've been crocheting for well over 40 years.

I'm curious about this too. I've heard of the magic loop (a.k.a. adjustable loop) but never magic knot.

I like to use a square knot when joining a new strand. It seems more secure than the traditional knot. I learned that tip from a knitting website somewhere.

I'm not a purist. I make knots. I want what I make to stay together.

DITTO!!

I can't tell you how many things people have brought to me over the years asking me to repair something that came undone. And when I get into the project it never fails, I find it was because it wasn't knotted.

As for me, I try to keep my knots at the ends of rows or where they can easily be hidden and the ends can be woven in well.

Archived