Hi!

I have been asked by a local yarn shop to come up with some class ideas for beginning and advanced crochet. Beginning was easy and I have a project in mind for that class. I would like suggestions from other teachers for an advanced beginner class. I will want to cover things like increasing and decreasing and other kinds of stitches like shells, bobbles, etc... I would also like a simple cardigan pattern to make for a crochet cardigan class. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Angela

Angela, when I started my crochet class at our local Senior Center, I of course started with the basic stitches first, then advanced to the more complicated stitches, ie., puff stitch, fpdc, bpdc, popcorn stitch, shell stitch, etc. Each student picked out a stitch they wanted to learn, and made a sample square of it. I helped each one if they had problems with the stitch, of course. Then we sewed all the squares together into a beautiful sampler afghan, and ended up selling it!! Everyone was so excited--they made another one!

Many sites offer steps by step instructions on individual stitches. A few good ones are: http://www.crochet.org http://www.crochetme.com http://www.lionbrand.com

Good Luck! And most important--HAVE FUN!!!

The types of projects will depend on your audience - children, young adults, parents of young children, adults, senior adults. Practicality is what I try and aim for, depending on my audience. Try and find projects that will fit lifestyle and interest of your students.

Kids can make bracelets (using the chain stitch, then braid them together) and washcloths or even small blankets for their dolls.

Teens might want to make a cell phone case or simple amigurumi.

Parents with children might want to learn stitches/ patterns that they can use to make things for their children - like blankets with squares, simple lettering (changing colors or using puff/ bobble stitches), and pillows.

Older adults might want to make face scrubbies, a purse or tote, or pot holders/ place mats for their kitchen.

Beginner advanced things can include attaching decals or buttons, the joining of motifs (squares for example), and learning how to read a simple charts and graphs for lettering. The ability to maintain tension is very important for a beginner advanced class, so that they can create larger projects.

Thank you both for your suggestions! They were very helpful:0)

Will be teaching a beginner class and an advanced beginner. Picked the Long Scarf With Loopy Fringe from CYC and the Combination Summer Hat for the Advanced class. I think it will be a good project to do. Has different stitches and I can switch out the brim with post stitch ribbing.

Angela

Archived