Pineapples & Granny squares - luv 'em or hate 'em?

Personally, I love them both.

I love the intricate look of pineapples and the simplicity of the pattern.

I actually prefer granny rectangles with bold blocks of color vs little tiny squares where each round is a different color. Too many ends to weave in and lots of attaching squares. I much prefer crocheting to joining.

So, where do you guys stand with pineapples and grannies?

I adore pineapples! I like making granny squares, but like you, the ends to weave and the sewing together...UGH. I've taken to crocheting squares together for afghans, and find they hold together better, too, since there aren't as many places to possibly loosen as with sewn-together squares.

I'm making a granny square afghan right now where every row is a differnt color --- personally, on granny square blankets though, I knot ends. I know many people are against knotting, but after making one very beautiful blanket and weaving everything in, one machine wash and the blanket started falling apart (it was a granny square star shaped afghan, changing colors 5 times every row).

Not extremely familiar with pineapples, but a friend of mine last week mentioned that she had a really easy pattern for a pineapple square. She gave me the pattern and I can't wait to sit down and try it! Pineapples are very antique looking for me, which isn't as much of my style per-say, so I believe they will have to grow on me as I continue to search and find more pineapple patterns that fit my personality.

As you know I love pineapples, and I think granny squares are great if they are done in the right color combo. I dislike burgandy and orange in crochet... anything 70's or 80's.

If it looks elegant and antique I like it, if it looks "retro" rather than "vintage" I don't.

I don't even know what a pineapple is other than the exotic fruit,so now I'm off to find out! I love granny squares though - Î'm almost finished my second granny square afghan and in both I've crocheted the squares together, joining as I go.

Love em both, even in clothing. I may make the pineapple top in the summer issue of interweave crochet, but the placement of a couple of the "holes" looks like it could be a problem lol, will have to work around that somehow:lol

LUV them both. Pineapples and Squares are both so versatile in the way they can be used. Not keen on joining squares, but it is a necessary evil, :lol, like having to sew buttons or zippers in/on apparel.

I don't even know what a pineapple is other than the exotic fruit,so now I'm off to find out! I love granny squares though - Î'm almost finished my second granny square afghan and in both I've crocheted the squares together, joining as I go.

Here is a simple doily one, but they can be used for afghans, curtains and apparel. http://crochet.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=crochet&cdn=hobbies&tm=4&gps=81_1307_947_578&f=22&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//promotions.drgnetwork.com/newsletters/talkingcrochet/pages/TCNL1907_patt.html

magic crochet- perhaps a cami?

Oh, my yes definitely a cami! It is extremely open. http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/135705.aspx

The open spaces at the tip of the pineapples, the top tier seem like they could easily be in just the wrong location.

I have never been too keen on granny squares, but then again I grew up with the most GAWD awfil cream, traffic cone orange and brown afghan that didnt match ANYTHING. I don't even k.ow where it came from as no one in my family crochets and it was just too horrible to think it was bought with our house in mind. Of course im now learning that they dont have to come in squares, and are much more versatile than i thought. They'll never be my favorite, but they're growing on me.

Pineapples aren't really intimidating to me as they seem to need more.than my attention span can handle. I'd love to try them one day, as I think they are beautiful.

Have always loved pineapples. But, not so much grannies. However, with all the grannie variations out there these days, have recently fallen in love with them, too!

Pineapples have been and always will be my favorite pattern to crochet on doilies. :manyheart I do not crochet a lot with yarn but have donated many granny squares for charity. There are so many gorgeous projects to be made but I have never tackle a project, afraid about the "joining' process!! :scared

Haven't tried either yet as I'm just starting out. I've kinda been avoiding the granny stitch to be honest. I don't know why. I have a granny square blanket at my mom's that I loved when I was little but there were holes where the squares were coming apart.

I haven't really heard about pinapples either so I'll have to look them up!

I love doing both, years and enons agoooooooo.......

I use to not like pineapples, Love the pattern etc, but couldn't stand reading the patterns. uggg.

BUT, after doing a couple of Pineapples Doilys I got the hang of the Pineapple language.

Then~~~ mid 1980's or so I discovered Magic Crochet & then Decorative Crochet. Much easier to do the charts when it comes to Pineapples.

yeah that joining thing on grannies is a pain, but I have been trying some of the alternate methods of joining. To many other projects in the way to try them all .

I LOVE pineapples! They were intimidating at first, but they really are not difficult at all

never having done a "pineapple," (what! Am i missing something good!! he he) i will say, granny's are a fav of mine as well. They are almost mindless, if you need them to be, relatively quick, uses up bits and jigs of yarn, and I get to play with colors! yay! What more can a crocheter ask!;):c9

I was terrified of doing a pineapple my first time. It was just so intimidating looking. My Grandmother loved then and used them very often so I screwed up my courage and tried it.

They are sooooooooo easy to do. They just look intricate and intimidating.

You can use pineapples in yarn as well as thread.

Archived