burn test to determine fiber or type of yarn ..

katyallen815

hello, thought i might share this with some that have never seen this particular process before.

Recently, i was lucky enough to find some yarn at a garage sale. No labels, so had no clue what I was getting into, but it was so reasonably piriced, I got it all.

Wasn't sure how to test to find out if it was wool, which when i work with that, I get itchy so try to avoid it whenever possible, or acrylic which i thought it might be. I remember reading about a burn test. So I looked it up again, and ran off with the yarn in hand, and a candle as instructed....:eek

Low and behold, it worked, it behaved exactly as acrylic :cheer was supposed to, and I was no longer confused on weather to use it or not!

So, passing on this link to you all, in case you ever need to try to figure out what is what when it comes to yarn, wool, or cotton,,,,, (petroleum product-acrylic, protein product-wool, plant product-bamboo, cotton etc. ):lol

Ok, thats all I wanted to pass on, hope it helps someone out as it did me! Im sure many people already know this, but I had forgotten the difference so the link was very helpful! :clap If there is a thread already stating this info, my apologies for duplicating.

Here is that info..

Archived