How do I know what kind of needles to use?

Itty Bitty

I've just started knitting, and I'm sort of confused. If the pattern doesn't specify, how do you know whether to use straight needles or double pointed needles? I'm mostly looking at stuffed animals, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!! :)

If you need double points, the pattern should say that. Also i think it usually will give you the number of dpns that are needed. If it doesnt specify, use straights. (and you can knit flat on a circular needle too if you want.)

I've just started knitting, and I'm sort of confused. If the pattern doesn't specify, how do you know whether to use straight needles or double pointed needles? I'm mostly looking at stuffed animals, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!! :)

If you're working a small circumference, which I infer from your stuffed animal projects, I would think you need DPNs. The exception would be if you work flat and then seam it up but... why? :think I don't mean to just be contrary, Magiccrochetfan, but I wonder if the designer forgot to put in that kind of information because it does seem important.

Itty Bitty, if you are a Ravelry member you can probably do a search for your patterns and possibly see some pictures on what other people use and how their project were put together.

:)Carla, yes i am sure there are patterns that leave out such important info!

Ittybitty, tell us what specific patterns you are looking at so we can home in on the right answer to your conundrum.:knit

Archived