Finger Nails , and crocheting questions . ;

Hey all

well, I have a question about fingernails. of all things lol

Question

how do I keep my fingernails from snagging the yarn when crocheting ??

I do not keep them long because they split and they chip.

I do try to keep them filed; but they seem to snag the yarn ; which is not good

any ideas will be appreciated ; hugs

I have two fingernails that constantly split and chip in the same spot. I keep a small file and clipper in my crochet kit, and may use them almost every time I crochet. When I worked (pre retirement) I would occasionally have one of those fingertip rubber tips (used for going through papers one at a time)that I would forget to remove when I left for the night sitting on my pointer. One day when I couldn't find my file (H used to borrow them for his nails), I thought of it and put it on over the split nail, and it worked.

Also using the fingers from one of those thin gloves that Dr's and nurses sometimes wear helped me when my skin became dry or irritated and I didn't want the cream I used to get on the yarn, so I imagine they could work on your nail problem too!!!

It can be very frustrating when you get hung up on your work, :wink.

thanks for the suggestions

I don't mind the lotion. ;

odd about the lotion though ; my best girlfriend had crocheted some items to sell at one of our local shops

this shop sells expensive yarn ; can't afford on skien of theirs:lol

anyways they said that she had put them in the dyer with a dyer sheet .

she told them no.

I happened to think about her hand lotion.

she said she didn't think of that.

but, I guess it stands to reason if you think about it. . hugs

My nails do that too, which is why I wear 1 coat of clear nail polish. Daily life wear and tear seems to abuse the polish, not the nails; and if the polish starts to get a little ratty around the edges before you get to re-doing it, being clear it doesn't really show.

I too have snaggy, chipped nails and dry cuticles from so much yarn use. It's hard to keep up with so, I always put on a generous amount of Baby Lotion just before crocheting or doing any kind of needlework. It's gentle, non-greasy and I love the smell of it--- reminds me of my children when they were little. :)

:cheergetting good ideas from you all ; knew I would

love all the ideas ; have to copy them down , cause i tend to forget easy:lolhugs

I have to keep a nail smoother and file nearby, because my nails break if I breath on them wrong (both finger and toe nails are pathetic). I also take a Biotin supplement my podiatrist recommended for my toes after he had to operate several times on an ingrown nail that just wouldn't grow out right.

OH, more good ideas

I am using one of those silver kind of files; I will try to remember to get me one and some of those other things to try

so frustrating to have stags in your hard work .

I keep my nails very short, which helps to some degree. I have trouble with hang nails, so I always have clippers handy at home. At work, I do dishes frequently and wash my hands multiple times an hour - so my hands end up dry.

In the winter, I keep a container of petrol (Vaseline) in my yarn bag. It helps a lot with the super dry skin and as long as I use just a little bit, it doesn't leave my yarn greasy.

I came across "Udder Cream" a few months back and this has become my new best friend!!! It isn't greasy and it really helps with the dry hands and nails, without leaving a strong odor.

But yes, my yarn frequently gets caught on my nails. I keep on cutting and trimming them. I'm not much of one who uses nail files very often. In fact, I'm not even sure if I have one the moment!

I have to keep a nail smoother and file nearby, because my nails break if I breath on them wrong (both finger and toe nails are pathetic). I also take a Biotin supplement my podiatrist recommended for my toes after he had to operate several times on an ingrown nail that just wouldn't grow out right.

Info for those reading this thread:

Biotin is Vitamin B7, luckily it does not have a toxicity level like some B vitamins do. However the US does recommend an adult dosage of no more than 30 to 100mcg daily. It is considered rare to have a biotin deficiency as it is available in liver, cauliflower, salmon, carrots, bananas, soy flour, cereals, and yeast. However cooking will deminish it's potency...

My nails sometimes chip and peel. I use a buffer on one as soon as I notice it, or the fine side of an emery board if I'm not at home. For the dry rough skin around my nails, I forget to lotion during the day, but every night I give them a good moisturizing with lotion or vitamin e cream. Working with yarn or fabric really dries my skin out.

:lolOH my the tips and suggestions i got from this thread ; thanks ladies.

I really never thought about that a nail fail could make such a difference ; but I guess it does

I have to put those on my shopping list

and the udder cream

it is suppose to help to when I hand quilt ; just forget to get it when I go to Jo Ann's

I love the new supper Jo Ann's but it is 20 some miles away from me now

I guess i am happy it isn't furhter why they put it way up where it is I don't know

the ladies that worked there said that they had good crowds on weekends most of the time; but during the week ; not very much

if they built it in between here and there ; they would have loads of people .

oh well they just don't listen to good advise

hubby says it is a " good thing" they are that far away as i don't have that much money now . :lol

And here I thought I was all alone--with hangnails, and chipped nails! It's a comfort to know I'm in good company (the BEST--Crocheters!)!!:clap:lol

Try massaging a dab of cheap, store-brand of petroleum jelly (brand name - Vaseline) into your bare fingernails before bed at night. Not only your nails will love it but your cuticles will, too. This also works for your toenails but the nails must be bare for the jelly to soak in. My nails always look good and are far less "snaggy" when I do this consistently.

I was reminded of something reading about the nail file discussion above - have you tried nail buffers? I don't use them all the time, only when I get a spot that just won't behave. I think I've seen them at the dollar store, they are usually in at least 2 roughnesses (they are actually quite smooth). Use them after using the regular file and it makes a big difference. And you can use them on the top of the nail too, not just the edges if you want.

Thanks Granny Square

I haven't tried them in a long time

will have to get them on my next trip to wally World :lol:hug

Archived