Bernat Handcrafter

Suzy_Creamcheese

A few weeks ago I bought two big skeins of Bernat Handcrafter cotton yarn in a shade called Lemon Lime, which is a lime green/yellow/white varigated. Now I think I may need more to finish my blanket, but neither of the stores in my town that had it have any more of this color. I have been looking everywhere online for it with no luck, and I assume this means it's been discontinued. Does anyone know a good place to find discontinued yarns? I have found a shade by the same name, made by Peaches n' Cream, wich someone is selling on Etsy, but the green looks more saturated so I doubt it will match. Is my only hope to make a small blanket? :/

Have you tried bernat.com? If they don't have it, try getting it on ebay--I bought plenty of several discontinued colors last Christmas for some tote bags I made!

Good Luck!

It'll be a totally different color if you switch brands. Does is have a dye lot stamped onto the label? If it does even getting the same brand can be slightly different.

Is it possible to switch to solids that are in the vari to stretch it out?

How big of a blanket are you trying to make?

• 2 weeks later...

I have figured out a solution: The blanket I'm making is going to be comprised of groups of 4 small squares and large squares that each equal the size of the 4 small squares put together. So far I have only been making the small squares. I found solid yellow and solid green yarn in shades that match the green, yellow, and white variegated, and I'm going to use that for the big squares, then use the remaining variegated yarn in the border. :) Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'm glad you found a workaround for your problem.

Now I want to vent about Handicrafters. A couple of weeks ago I bought one of those jumbo skeins of Handicrafters at Joann's, made a placemat, decided I wanted to make eight of them, went back to Joann's, no more HC in the color KIwi (green). Only a neonlike green with the unlikely name Grass. Searched Bernat website. No Kiwi. Yesterday drove to a more distant Joann store, and after much hunting around its cavernous aisles, where HC was in different locations, found one skein of Kiwi buried among other colors. I really need to learn to anticipate that I might need more. The extra skeins can always be returned.

I really wish the yarn powers that be would provide more pretty solid colors and that stores would stock them more generously. Sometimes I can't even find plain old ecru cotton -- just mounds and mounds of variegated colors.

Does anybody ever listen to us here?

Archived