Warm Up America at Jo-Ann's

Suebee42

All the Jo-Ann Superstores are supposed to be having Warm Up America events on Saturday, October 1 and Saturday, October 29. I don't have the times in front of me, but I believe the 1st is 1 - 3 pm, and the 29th is 12 - 5 pm.

The idea is that on the 1st we're encouraging people to make 7" x 9" squares to donate, and the 29th is a joining party. In my store, though, we already have hundreds of donated squares, so I am going to concentrate on joining for both events.

I never got around to donating the finished afghans from last year, so when Hurricane Katrina came up, I decided that was what I was going to do with our completed afghans. Yesterday, I donated 8 to a local church that is going to bring them where they are needed (one of our customers approached us to take up a collection of quilts and fabric to make quilts, but they welcomed my afghan donation, as well). Tomorrow, I will be shipping a box of 6 afghans to a friend in Maryland, who lives in an apartment complex that is currently housing 500 evacuees, and seeking donations of blankets, clothes, and household items.

Anyway, if you're looking for yet another way to help out and participate, check out your local Jo-Ann Superstore. Each store chooses where they make their donations, but I would hope that most education coordinators are following in my footsteps. :)

Thanks!

I wish we had a Superstore here! I'd really like to participate in something like that. Hopefully after we move next month I'll have some serious free time and can start contributing to a cause like this.

The Michaels by my house is also doing this. They have a bin you can drop your squares off at and they are also having a "joining party". I think its great. I don't know anyone by me that crochets so I think I might make some and go to the joining. Meet some local crafters, I know they are out there;) Plus now I am going to check out my JoAnns and see what they are doing!!

I started making the Warm Up America squares this past weekend. Great way practice those stitches you haven't used in a while:) We have a Michael's & Jo-Ann's here, however, they are way across town which means close to an hour bus trip for me one way. Is there any other stores accepting them?

Alosha

If you can't find a place to drop them off close to you, you can always mail them directly to the Warm Up America foundation. They encourage local involvement, instead, but will accept squares to be assembled by their volunteers. There is more information at http://www.warmupamerica.com/

In all honesty, I don't know if the traditional stores are doing the event... in the Superstores, it's being run by the Education Department in each store, but the traditional stores don't have Education Coordinators.

<-- Education Coordinator. :D

If you find out, let me know. We have three superstores in our area, forming a triangle in the various suburbs around the city, so if anyone were to call a traditional store in our area about it, they'd just send them to one of the big stores.

begin rant:

It's funny, things are so convenient here in Rochester, people complain about having to drive 15 minutes to get somewhere. It drives me batty! I grew up in rural northwestern New Jersey, and it was 45 minutes to either shopping mall and 20 minutes to the nearest McDonald's, so when these people whine about 15 minutes in the car, I want to throttle them. LOL! I guess that's why we have three superstores... fifteen minutes is just far too long to be in the car. :ohdear

end "uphill both ways in the snow" rant. :D

thats what our hours are too suebee, like you our store is donating the blankets we make to the katrina evacuee's. we have recieved some here and i was talking to my cordinator and she asked me if i thought it would help and i said you bet it will, so we too are using our time and effort to help out katrina evacuees. anyone can make a square, and send it to warm up america, as suebee said and she gave you the link. i hope that as many of you that can help do, is for a wonderful cause and everytime i help put a blanket together knowing it will go to help someone,. well it gives me the warmest feeling, thats why i am "warming up america" thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention suebee.

:hug :hug

Well, guess what was waiting on my desk on Friday when I got to work... the bag stuffers for Warm Up America that had the dates and times, directions for squares... and two coupons -- for 40% off a crochet/knit book and 40% off a set of needles or a hook -- that started on Sept 14th. Yes, over a week into the valid period for the coupons, I finally get them to hand out. :ohdear

Archived