Thinking of learning...

redhead31293

Hey, guys!! So, about a year ago, a relative of mine had a stroke. She was in bad health and could not continue crocheting or knitting. Because I was the only one in the family who really knew how to crochet, I inherited all of her yarn, crochet hooks, and also her knitting needles.

I've never knitted at all, and I was wondering, is knitting a lot more difficult compared to crocheting?

I'd like to try to learn if I can, and there's no use having these knitting needles sitting around unused!!

Thanks!!! :)

I agree with Kathy....not too hard to learn. I also knit Continental and found it pretty easy to learn. My advise....watch a lot of videos or take a class if you can.

Not hard, just slower. I knit continental-combined (or whatever this week's trendy name is) and like it. The English style is really slow and painful for me, but it works fine for some.

One hint: if she had some bamboo or old scuffed plastic needles, they'll be easier to use than slick aluminum.

Starting out knitting in the round with aluminum needles and acrylic yarn is nothing but tears of frustration ( and I had a nasty instructor telling me I was stupid and "secretly denying my femininity", to boot!) it's possible later on, but never fun.

Not hard, just slower. I knit continental-combined (or whatever this week's trendy name is) and like it. The English style is really slow and painful for me, but it works fine for some.

One hint: if she had some bamboo or old scuffed plastic needles, they'll be easier to use than slick aluminum.

Starting out knitting in the round with aluminum needles and acrylic yarn is nothing but tears of frustration ( and I had a nasty instructor telling me I was stupid and "secretly denying my femininity", to boot!) it's possible later on, but never fun.

Your instructor was a moron.

Knitting is a little slower and guess what! It takes less yarn per project:clap:cheer

I learned to knit first about age 8, then I learned in later life 41 to crochet. Just be patient and do not get frustrated. Oh and make sure you have a crochet hook near by to pick up any dropped stitches (happens to us all). It is like learning a new pattern or stitch, it takes practice.

What!!??! Denying your feminity---what the #<*+! does that have to do with anything?? I am appalled that a so called instructor would be so mean and stupid! :angry

Becky, sorry you got stuck with that idiot instructor.

I can see starting out working in the round can be a challenge, but not necessarily (always) the combo of metal needles and acrylic, at least for me. Maybe its because that's all I used until recently, I'm just used to them.

Although with dpns, they do tend to fall out easier (than wood) esp. in the last couple of stitches on the needle!

Thanks guys!! I think I'll definitely try out some knitting!!! I love crocheting, I've only been doing it for about 3 years now. It all started with a baby blanket for my nephew!! :)

Don't you know there's only One Right Way to knit and One Right Kind of yarn and if you don't do it exactly that way you're just being stubborn? Oh, and it's the "womanly art of knitting", ignoring all the men who (a) were very likely the first knitters and (b) still do knit. Not being good at knitting, which equaled doing it exactly her way, meant denying femininity.

Which is why, when I teach, I tell people to use whatever technique feels right to them, hold the yarn however it seems to fit, and I'll help them sort it out :)

It's just that aluminum needles are slick--which is good sometimes--and some kinds of acrylic yarn are slick--which can be good sometimes--but the combination is not good when you first try to sort out double points. I knit kind of loose and I seldom got more than a couple of rounds in before at least one needle clanged to the floor. When a much kinder instructor told me I wasn't actually doing anything wrong, just attempting something that was naturalloy difficult for any but very tight knitters, I made my first set of bamboo DPs and never had another problem.

Then I got a circular bamboo needle and found out how much fun that is! Yes, it does take less yarn. For real fun, knit combined on a 16"circular and make a hat that is mostly stockinette stitch. It's almost as fast as crochet.

Combining knit and crochet is fun, too. I often knit the triangle for a shawl, then crochet the border. Knit ribbing is stretchier and neater-looking than crocheted, so I usually use knit collars and cuffs.

If you are going to teach to teach yourself to knit, take a look at Lion Brand Yarn's learn to knit:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&learnToKnit=1&utm_source=Learning-Center&utm_medium=Learn-Knit&utm_campaign=TopNav

It really helps if you like the directions written out (like me), plus the diagrams were great. They helped me a lot more then photos. Also, they have videos too!! If you ever get stuck with any of it (instructions, patterns,...) they are very helpful!!

Good luck!! :)

Becky, I have always thought that when someone questioned a character trait that had nothing to do with the subject matter it spoke more of the person doing the questioning than theperson being questioned. And if being a petty has taught me one thing, its that there is always more than one way to get something accomplished. Good for you for not letting her keep you from learning a lovely and creative art!

I grew up crocheting, as my mom had taught me when I was younger. A couple of years ago I taught myself to knit using some YouTube videos to help me. I picked up a strange cross between continental and English, but finally figured out the correct form of English and it works much better now.

• 2 months later...

Sorry about your relative. Maybe you can make her an afghan to show how much you appreciate receiving her yarns and hooks/needles. Definitely learn knitting. Try out both the American way and the Continental way and see which one you prefer better. I like the continental way. And there is no right or wrong way to do the stitches. Whatever works for you is right. One hint on the needles, to make the yarn slide easier on the needle, wipe it with a bounce dryer sheet. Or any dryer sheet you want to use. One benefit is your needles will smell good and you won't have any static. Works on hooks too.

I'm learning how to knit with the help of some of the ladies at the craft club at our library! I first started with aluminum needles and one needle would keep clanging to the floor!:lol I bought a pair of bamboo needles (with a 50% off coupon at ACM) and find them so much easier- I'm learning "english"- Even though I crochet, I found the 'continental' way, which alot of crocheters like, awkward for me. So, IMO, it's really whatever works for each person!

Knitting is slower- but like Tampa Doll said, uses less yarn. My first love, though will always be crochet:hook

Good luck!

I'm learning how to knit with the help of some of the ladies at the craft club at our library! I first started with aluminum needles and one needle would keep clanging to the floor!:lol I bought a pair of bamboo needles (with a 50% off coupon at ACM) and find them so much easier- I'm learning "english"- Even though I crochet, I found the 'continental' way, which alot of crocheters like, awkward for me. So, IMO, it's really whatever works for each person!

Knitting is slower- but like Tampa Doll said, uses less yarn. My first love, though will always be crochet:hook

Good luck!

I agree with you.

Archived