Working behind a chain 2 space?

TanyaR

Question

I bought a LeisureArts leaflet With the Soft and Sweet Layette. I am having trouble figuring out the pattern.

Row: (sc, ch 2, hdc) then sk st and repeat ()

Row: working behind ch-2sps, 2 sc in each sc

What does working behind mean? In the st after the ch 2.?

I am at a complete lost. Someone please help.

Thanks

15 answers to this question

This calls to mind the cable patterns that I've done. To me, I would go back, skipping the chain space and put 2 single stitches in the one single stitch of the previous row.

from the instructions that you gave, for the second row (the 'working behind row) after you've turned you do 2 single stitches in the single stitch of the first row. I would normally think to work the posts, but I would think they would indicate a post stitch if that were the case.

Can you do me a favor? can you give the full instructions for each row? Because I'm not able to add up the number of stitches for each row.

Thank you for attempting to help the pattern reads:

Ch 54

Dc across, 52 dc

Ch1, turn, sk first dc, (sc, ch 2, hdc) in next, skip next dc repeat 26 sc and 25 ch 2 sps

Ch1, turn 2 sc in first sc, working behind ch2 sps, 3 sc in each sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last sc: 76sc

Then the pattern repeats these row several times

Sorry for the delay, but I did a swatch of the pattern to see what they were talking about.

So from what I gather, in the second row, you are to do multiple single stitches in each of the single stitches from the previous row. The 2 chain spaces are to be in front of the stitches you just made (the working behind part of the pattern) so it looks like the loops of the 2 chain spaces from the previous row are hanging out in the middle of space. I'm thinking that it will either be a textural design, or be used in later rows.

Hope this helps!

If this is the pattern that you're talking about http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/soft-and-sweet-layette it's a textural design.

What this does is create a fabric with a very specific front and back side. When you finish the row with the (sc, ch2, hdc) you'll turn to begin the next row.

Most patterns have you work into the top of the stitches in the row you just completed. You still are. You're only working into the scs of the previous row. Push the chain loop down to the front and work 3sc in each sc. You're basically just going to ignore that part of the previous row.

I know these posts are way old but I can't believe 8 years after this original post I found the exact answer I was looking for for this exact pattern!!! I've probably made 2 dozen of these sets and just kinda guessed at my questions....they always looked OK but now I finally have the correct answer Thank you!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barbara Taylor said:

How do I work behind a chain space?

From above post

"Ch1, turn 2 sc in first sc, working behind ch2 sps, 3 sc in each sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last sc: 76sc"

Working behind a chain space is telling you nothing more than where to orient your yarn between 2 stitches.  You could either lay your yarn in front or behind and it wants it behind.  In the previous row you made some sc's and hdc's.  This row you are only working into the sc's and since hdc's are a taller stitch the yarn between sc's will need to lay in front of or behind the hdc's (which were used in part in making the ch space.

• Like 1

Hi Karen Ann, welcome to the 'ville!  Did you read the posts above yours, the question was answered a couple of times.

Your pattern probably has some stitches that look raised above the other stitch in the fabric.  One way to do this is to leave a stitch top exposed in row 3 (for example) by skipping over it in row 4 by chaining 1, skipping the stitch in row 3, and stitching into the following stitch.  Then in row 5 (for example) , it will tell you to use that stitch top in  row 3 that was exposed.  To get to that exposed stitch top, you'd have to reach either in front or behind the stitches in row 4 with your hook,  your pattern is saying to reach behind.  This will create a raised-looking stitch on the other side of the fabric - probably the row you are doing now is the back facing one, if it is telling you to reach behind.