Fingering yarn

Pye

Hope some of you fellow crocheters can help. I am looking for fingering yarn in darker colors. Pastels are easy to find. Want to make some of the 5'' dolls but I want to use some of the darker colors.

You can get "sock yarn" at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, at least that is where I've found it most easily. I want to start working with this weight soon, but it is very expensive --- so I'll have to buy it for one specific purpose or project.

You can get "sock yarn" at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, at least that is where I've found it most easily. I want to start working with this weight soon, but it is very expensive --- so I'll have to buy it for one specific purpose or project.

I tried sock yarn because it is the only stuff I can buy locally for my Barbie dresses that require the lighter weight vareigeted yarn. Sometimes I can find baby yarn that is light enough but only in pastels. Until I found Knitpicks so it seemed like my only alternative. It isn't quite the same weight and it stretches more. I found it was more expensive. I use it when I have to, but it it not my first choice for doll's clothes.

When someone suggested Knit Picks I expected it to be expensive, but was surprised they had a line of fingering yarn that was reasonable with lots of color choices. I wish fingering yarn would come back at local stores, even our local LYS stores refer me to sock yarn when I ask if they carry it. They don't seem to understand the need for it.

I tried sock yarn because it is the only stuff I can buy locally for my Barbie dresses that require the lighter weight vareigeted yarn. Sometimes I can find baby yarn that is light enough but only in pastels. Until I found Knitpicks so it seemed like my only alternative. It isn't quite the same weight and it stretches more. I found it was more expensive. I use it when I have to, but it it not my first choice for doll's clothes.

When someone suggested Knit Picks I expected it to be expensive, but was surprised they had a line of fingering yarn that was reasonable with lots of color choices. I wish fingering yarn would come back at local stores, even our local LYS stores refer me to sock yarn when I ask if they carry it. They don't seem to understand the need for it.

Wow! This is totally cool then - I didn't even know this type of yarn existed :crocheting

What do you do with the Barbie dresses after you make them? Are you a collector or is that one of your crochet niches? Just curious because I have never talked or met anyone who has made Barbie clothes. I don't have a large "yarn network" of people just yet and being on the 'Ville, I'm learning so much and meeting so many amazing people with talents for things that I never even knew existed!

Wow! This is totally cool then - I didn't even know this type of yarn existed :crocheting

What do you do with the Barbie dresses after you make them? Are you a collector or is that one of your crochet niches? Just curious because I have never talked or met anyone who has made Barbie clothes. I don't have a large "yarn network" of people just yet and being on the 'Ville, I'm learning so much and meeting so many amazing people with talents for things that I never even knew existed!

One of my motivations for learning to crochet was to make doll's clothes and toys. My nieces love the clothes for Barbie and her many doll family members and I can't crochet in thread. I've been lucky to hunt down patterns that use fingering yarn or sports weight as an alternative. I was thrilled the 18" dolls were primarily worsted weight, but now I'm finding lots of their patterns are published as thread, not regular yarn, so I hold on to the patterns I have that use a weight I can work with to make the clothing.

I tend to donate more 18" than Barbie clothing.

Archived