A blanket for my niece's baby girl

I was working on a blanket for my niece a while ago. She was about 8 years old and when I got wind that she was not behaving at school and she had started sneaking around and abusing her mom, I stopped working on it, and told her so.

Well, now she's about to have a baby at 14. She seems to have calmed down a lot since she realized she is pregnant and asked me if I would make a blanket for her baby. So I took the pieces I had already finished for her own blanket and turned it into a baby blanket.

What do you guys think of the final product?

post-59730-135897762113_thumb.jpg

Oh, so pretty!

Whew, this child is facing a lot, I'm sure she needs lots of hugs right now, would you give her one from me?

That is so pretty!!!!! I half to ask where you found the pattern from?

It is a combination of 2 patterns and my own standard border.

The squares are made from a pattern on freepatterns.com. It wasn't specifically made to look like a flower, just a holey baby afghan, but I noticed that the center looked like a flower and split the colors. (I can't find the pattern on the site anymore. I'll look for it at home and post it).

The flowers are made from a different pattern also on freepatterns.com. http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00634&cat_id=333

The border is just a simple shell.

Oh, so pretty!

Whew, this child is facing a lot, I'm sure she needs lots of hugs right now, would you give her one from me?

Absolutely, thank you so much. She does need them.

Just because she made a mistake don't make her ashamed be there and support her kids will be kids and do crazy stupid things but it's the adults who can make or assist and breaking these kids...Make something nice for her as well even if it's something tiny it will show you still care about HER!!

Just because she made a mistake don't make her ashamed be there and support her kids will be kids and do crazy stupid things but it's the adults who can make or assist and breaking these kids...Make something nice for her as well even if it's something tiny it will show you still care about HER!!

I think you misunderstood me, I didn't stop making the blanket for her because she got pregnant.

When I stopped, she was about 8 years old and it was a punishment for misbehaving at school and beating up her mother on a regular basis. I'm not near her physically to be able to have a sit down conversation with her and the people that were near, were not very good at it.

Due to her behavior and other things that are out of my control, she got pregnant. She's 14 now and needs and deserves a lot of support. Unfortunately, again, I'm not near her, so all I can do it make the blanket for her baby and show her that I'm here for her. I did not in any way try to make her ashamed for her mistake at getting pregnant.

However, if I had to do it all over again and stop making the blanket because she was misbehaving at school and abusing her mother, I still would've punished her. When a child misbehaves, you don't reward them. Again, that is a separate incident than her getting pregnant. And that is really not the topic of discussion, although I would be happy to discuss the topic further over email if you'd like. dalimonster1@gmail.com

This blanket is beautiful, if you happen to find the actual pattern for the square at home please let us know! Great job :cheer

THe blanket is beautiful. I love the pretty colours and design. I hope all goes well for your niece. She has a lot on her plate for one so young but I am sure with the support and love of her family things will turn out good for her.

What a gorgeous blanket! She wil think of you and any advice you have given her every time she looks at it. She will know that she and her baby are loved! :hug from me too!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is lovely. And you are correct bad behavior, especially abuse, cannot and should not be rewarded. When a child is rewarded you are paying attention to them and it encourages them to use that behavior as a tool....

What a great blanket! Your niece has a tough road for in store. As a teen mom myself, I know just how tough it was. But, I had a pretty supportive family - and I feel like that made all the difference in the world! (But they weren't as supportive as raising my child - there is a fine line, I think.) But it CAN be done. My son is now a productive member of society, he is a nice and kind kid. Me, I succeeded as well in life - AND in motherhood (I would like to think.) It CAN be done, and it can be done WELL.

Best wishes to your niece and all of your family.

Archived