I am absolutely HORRIFIED!

It looks cool but I would not do it with one of my doilies. I love to crochet doilies and know the work that goes into making them.

I would never do that with one of my doilies. That being said. I have found doilies that were in pretty bad shape at yard sales and such that I have picked up. I have no qualms about using doilies that are stained, or holey for a craft project. Once the fibers have started to break down there isn't much else they can be used for.

It is a shame a beautiful doily was ever treated in such a manner that they come to be in that state. But when I find them like that I am a least using them in a manner that will preserve their beauty in a different way.

Hopefully my doilies will always be cared for properly. Kept out of the suns harmful rays and cherished by family and friends. But if they aren't I would wish some one would get some use out of them.

I would of course never use a doily in good shape for a craft project. That would be just too hard for me to do. If someone else destroyed it first I can do it. But to destroy a perfectly good doily is impossible for me.

I don't have the creativity to think of doing something like that with doilies, but what she made isn't something I would hang on the wall of my home either. I would be more likely to hang something incorporating a doily rather than using it for a stencil.

It sort of reminds me of some of the crafts I see on the "She's Crafty!" tv show. Her ideas just aren't my style. For others they are just great.

Now if she painted over some of my work, I would be horrified!

I'm basically on the side of thinking it's pretty. I do kind of get not wanting to ruin a doily, but as others have said, you could use the paper doilies and try this.

The other thing for me - and don't jump down my throat - I really do love and appreciate doilies, but what can you really do with them anyway besides lay them on something and lay something on top of them. I think something like this puts them to a much better use than hoarding them up and keeping them packed away. Of course I would probably have a different opinion if I had actually made one.

I have no qualms about using doilies that are stained, or holey for a craft project. Once the fibers have started to break down there isn't much else they can be used for.

I think something like this puts them to a much better use than hoarding them up and keeping them packed away. Of course I would probably have a different opinion if I had actually made one.

See that's my thinking. Sounds like the lady used them a lot before doing this. They got coffee or juice stains on them.

What do the people on this thread want her to do with them? Keep them stashed in a drawer or toss them in the trash.

Very few of us would used stained, torn anything. So why not repurpose them if you can.

I guess it is a form of recycling....

but we are making the assumption that they were stained, old or whatever.

I recycle almost everything, old clothes to charity, unusable old clothes: save the buttons, save any material not stained or ripped. I could go on forever.

As stated before it is art, and we should recognize it for what it is....

I love old doilies...stained or damaged...it just doesn't matter. I love the patterns,the type of thread used, and the history behind each one.

Stained doilies can be dyed and damaged ones can be repaired. They are works of art.

but we are making the assumption that they were stained, old or whatever.

Yeah kind of. She clearly says they are well used and loved. I took it to mean she used them and is now reuseing them. Maybe she just means well used as a stencil.

I love the patterns,the type of thread used, and the history behind each one.

Stained doilies can be dyed and damaged ones can be repaired. They are works of art.

She bought them at Joann's. She didn't make them. Her grandma didn't make them. There is no history or anything.

I would never ever bother to repair a store bought doily. I might dye it but probably because I bought it to do just that.

I love old doilies...stained or damaged...it just doesn't matter. I love the patterns,the type of thread used, and the history behind each one.

Nice sentiment but not always going to work. Some stains can't be covered with dye. I know I have tried. It depends on the type of damage done too. Damage from sun, harsh detergents can't be repaired as the fiber of the whole piece is actually damaged. That and matching threads is next to impossible if the doilies are vintage. I have enough beautiful well kept doilies that I don't have to try and salvage those beyond repair. Why not use them in a positive manner. If I find a exceptionaly beautiful design that is damaged I will of course keep it.

Believe me I am a Passionate doily lover. That's what I design the most of as designer. As I said I hope none of mine are ever treated as shabbily as some of the ones I have found. But if they ever do. I hope someone will find a way to use them that will allow their beauty to go on.

Personally what she did with the doilies has no appeal to me. But there are other uses for them.

I love to work with thread. I give away much of my yarn work, bit don't know a lot of people who would appreciate a doily. I will make doilies for the love of crochet and I think they are beautiful. Since I don't have much of an outlet for giving them, I'm sure I will store most of mine (those I don't display). That is what I have done with most of the cross stitch pieces I have made.

I only give my work to someone who has asked me to make them something or that I am sure will appreciate it.

If it were me I would then mount the doilies (as painted) and display them. I :manyheart doilies but they do tend to ignite the creative nature. They could be rinsed in some water and whatever paint remains would add interest.

I remember a while back when Maggie Weldon started doing ceramics with imprinted doilies. I guess if you see them as art it changes your reaction.

<my bad> :wlol

This. I love it. Do you have a link to the MW ceramics?

I am wondering if the paper doilies wouldnt be just as easy to use for stencilling.

I think that gets a yes and no answer.

Yes you can use paper doilies but then no...they are not as fine as real doilies and you can really only get 2 tries from one piece of paper.

I could never do it...to much hard work to just spray paint. I do like the look that it gives. It's very modern, kids would love it I'm sure.

I couldn't do this with a full doily that I slaved over. BUT, it does make me think about picking up thread yarn from garage sales (the old 'dont know how good this really is' ones) and making partial doily pieces to use as stencils.

Mounting spray-painted doilies is not the flat, 2D look that the original post showed. Texture would be involved, and the artist may not want texture in that particular piece. Plus she can 'fuzz' it a little and make it slightly out of focus, if you will, which gives it a softer, shadowy look that mounting a painted doily wouldn't. Not saying that wouldn't be pretty, too, just that may not be the vision the artist has in mind.

See that's my thinking. Sounds like the lady used them a lot before doing this. They got coffee or juice stains on them.

What do the people on this thread want her to do with them? Keep them stashed in a drawer or toss them in the trash.

Very few of us would used stained, torn anything. So why not repurpose them if you can.

I totally agree with this. In fact, this thread has "sparked" an idea, about what to do with some old, stained, falling apart crocheted pieces that I've got "hanging around". What a beautiful way to give them "new life". Uhmmmm, I may just have to add this to my "to do" list, as I would love to have a piece of "doily art" displayed in my home. After all, crochet is "my thing". :hook

Archived