I am absolutely HORRIFIED!

at this use of doilies!

http://shealynnbenner.com/2012/05/tutorial-7-spray-painted-doily-canvas/

I'm sure that some people are absolutely going to LOVE this idea - using the doily as a stencil-thing and spray painting over it and the results are gorgeous BUT...

just the thought of ruining these is too much for me this early in the morning.

(and for those that do love the idea - I can't wait to see how yours comes out!):D

yep saw dat! Horrified, appauled and in shock, but hey, they are hers, I guess she can do what she wants with um, right, lol. I feel about this the same way I feel about yarn bombing.....cute sometimes, but what a waste of good fibers!, everyone has their own ideas, and free to do it, but for me, I wouldn't...... nuff said!

I wonder how much the creator of this art understands about crochet? If she makes them herself and then destroys them in this way, then that is her own choice --- but otherwise, I, too, find it a bit disrespectful to what we on this site do everyday.

I am thinking that they are using the doilies that you buy from craft stores. I don't think they are done by hand, probably mass made my some machine.

Crocheted doilies are never machine made. Machines can knit but not crochet. Most of the doilies that are sold (and it KILLS ME to see them 2 for $1 at the Dollar Stores) are made for pennies.

As I learned about the working conditions and practices in other countries I was disgusted. I've come to the point where I refuse to purchase them even tho a part of me wants to save them all and give them a good home.

I have a couple doilies that I've made that I'm not totally thrilled with but I still don't have it in my to destroy them this way. I just might find a use for them someday. Until then I have them put away.

I feel the same as RoseRed, horrified!

Doilys are pretty framed in a picture frame.

One of my boss's took one of my doilys and copied it on a copy machine,

and it looked kind of neet, but the doily wasnt ruined.

Just my thoughts!

I'm in the minority here....I think this is really pretty! I don't see how it disrespects us and what we do here. I think it's a really creative use of a doily. Is it any more repectful to use your crocheted item's to cover a tree, or spare tire covers? I wonder what they look like after 6 months! It's art made from a crocheted item! Regardless of where she got her doilies, be it store bought, flea market find or made herself, she's still can do whatever she wants with them. I think it's just another way that makes crochet shine!

Personally I would have either spraypainted the doily or the camvas and then glided the doily to Tue canvas. What a waste of all that work!

The results are lovely, but not worth what it cost. Just my opinion...

If it were me I would then mount the doilies (as painted) and display them. I :manyheart doilies but they do tend to ignite the creative nature. They could be rinsed in some water and whatever paint remains would add interest.

I remember a while back when Maggie Weldon started doing ceramics with imprinted doilies. I guess if you see them as art it changes your reaction.

<my bad> :wlol

I was thinking about the ceramics with the crochet impressions too. Somebody local does that and i have seen them at art fairs, they are really pretty.

The new issue of Interweave Crochet has this http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/135683.aspx

You make a doily from large yarn and use it as a stencil

There are so many unused and unloved doilies in the world, from the ones in the craft store selling for pennies, to boxes of lovingly made lace at estate sales that no one wants to buy (sad but true!) that it really doesn't bother me to see them used/destroyed to make other art. At least the form of the doily is being appreciated.

but hey, she made them herself,

No she bought them at Joann's. She replies in the comments about them.

I'm in the minority here....I think this is really pretty! I don't see how it disrespects us and what we do here. I think it's a really creative use of a doily. Is it any more repectful to use your crocheted item's to cover a tree, or spare tire covers? I wonder what they look like after 6 months! It's art made from a crocheted item! Regardless of where she got her doilies, be it store bought, flea market find or made herself, she's still can do whatever she wants with them. I think it's just another way that makes crochet shine!

I totally and completely agree with you!

I think it's pretty and fun.

I have three or four doily projects on my Pin Boards that are glued, not used as stencils. But I've seen the stencil thing around for years, paper doiles, cotton doilies, tablecloths, etc.

She said they were used and well loved, so using them this way is so much better than tossing in the trash.

Add me to the not horrified column. Interesting, unusual, and pretty, I think. I certainly don't begrudge anyone their horror, but I don't understand it. Do we want people to like crochet, see it as modern and hip and useful in 21st-century-life, or do we want them thinking of it as an heirloom from Grandma that mustn't be touched and therefore is completely irrelevant to modern life?

But I'm one of those people who absolutely refuses to treat things as "too good to use." My SIL's family had a white living room, and I remember being so dang uncomfortable in there because it was all for show, and not for use. I own my home and my things--they do not own me. I'll use 'em any way I see fit. I don't live in a museum. So feet on the coffee table or dogs on the couch--all okay in my home.

And this provides a perfect excuse to make more doilies. ;)

I think it's kinda cool. If I had a doily I 'd made that wasn't "perfect" meaning I wouldn't use or display for some reason, this would be a pretty way to still show it off. To me, it adds a new dimension to a work of art.

also think it's a neat idea. and it looks like she re-used the same doilies several times. not that I personally would spray canvas--just doesn't quite suit our house/style. but adhere to jars for candles? yep. maybe spray over them onto the jar for the reverse image, yes. or make into candle holders (I think it was a marthastewart page that showed using lace to make candle holders, molded over a votive/tealight holder using fabric stiffener. obviously one would need to use these with battery-candles or outside of a glass candle holder. but they were darling)

my :2c

we used lace samples and doilies to make shallow bowls using clay, with our girls GEMS club. lots of fun. one of our leaders does a lot of clay art, so she led and taught the girls (and the doilies wouldn't be destroyed, actually...the clay is air-dried before the doilies came off, before they were fired, color-washed, and fired again.)

I make doilies, so I also know the time and effort that go into them. I've also made doilies and went "meh" when they were finished. I stick em aside, knowing they may never be used as is...but likely I will one day find some good use for them. :)

It's a shame the negligible value these little works of art have, finding them at the Dollar Store, flea market etc. for next to nothing.

I'm with Darski, I would have rather sewn them onto the canvas than used them for stencils, maybe added beads on or around the doilies--they would have been more texturally interesting.

I would never do this, having made a fair amount of doilies in my lifetime, knowing the time and effort that goes into each one.... not with a doily, anyway.

1972ish, I had the most perfect car(Ford Fairlane), well, the paint job was, anyway... It was called "lace paint"... They used lace material and paper doilies to get this same effect, it was very muted and you had to really look to see that it was there. Overall, the car looked dark blue, but up close you could see this lacy design on the hood and trunk and sides, just barely there. The lace effect was done in shades of blues and aquas. (The fellas at the body shop were always trying out new things, not many people were willing to give them the freedom to just 'let loose' and be creative, but I knew this guy was really inventive and I had jokingly said I wanted "a girl's car, but cool"

I loved that car!

Looks pretty neat to me!... I understand where RoseRed is coming from, but when I see all of the lovely creations she's made using the doilies, I don't feel so bad about it. She seems to use them over and over, and her final products are very pretty. So I'm okay with this. ;)

Like others, though, I did think of how nice they'd look mounted. :)

See, I knew some people were going to love it! And that's great! I really think it is great! It's our differences that make the world such a wonderful place.

I really don't think it's a disrespect thing. I mean she obviously loves them enough to create artwork with them.

As much as the thought of spray painting doilies horrifies me (all that work destroyed - ugh) (and yes - it still does even after plenty of coffee lol) I have one that I think would look great like this. I really don't like it enough to put it out but maybe it's not such an awful way to still put it to use.

I still can't see myself spray painting doilies.

mattenylou - do you have any pics of that paint job? It sounds awesome!

I have to admit I got a little queasy when I first read it, but the results are attractive.

I wouldn't want it to happen to one of my doilies, but I can't condemn her creativity either.

I have seen yard sales and auctions where small doilies were sold for pennies, and I asked someone what she does with them, and was told she uses them for wash rags.

I shiver to think that is what would happen to mine when I am no longer around and my family has a yard sale/estate auction to sell off my stuff.

I have 2 very old cluny lace ones that were made at the old lace mill many years ago (around 1930) that I have in a plastic sleeve with a cardboard behind them to keep them flat. What will happen to them???

She does say they are very loved, and the paint preserves them as well as any blocking agent, although they do look soft, so she must be washing them.

Art is a process that takes many roads, the road these doilies take may have kept them from becoming disposable rags....???

See, I knew some people were going to love it! And that's great! I really think it is great! It's our differences that make the world such a wonderful place.

mattenylou - do you have any pics of that paint job? It sounds awesome!

Sorry, no pics, This was a long time ago, back when we probably had only 12 pics on a roll... but it was a gorgeous car, well, to us gals it was!!! All covered with that lacy pattern, especially when it was clean and shiny. Again, it didn't really show, except up close. I loved how he used the edges of the paper doilies to paint around the windows, each one was edged in a faint lacy pattern.

Talk about DISRESPECT.... you can imagine what most men thought about ruining a car with that lacy paint job... I bet they were jealous my car looked way better than their pickup!

You could use washable kids paints and a sponge, then you could wash it out. As a kid, I put things on colored paper and set it in the sun. It might work with doilies. I was a little saddened, but the finished piece was pretty.

Ellie 13

Archived