Direct or through a friend?

Skoggy

Hiya all

What do you think would be a better idea?

I want to buy some RHSS in specific colours as I can't find my desired colour over here cheap enough to buy the amount I need. I'm after Spring Green (and Black. I know I can Black anywhere but if I buy the green from RH then I will get the black from there as well). 3 of each needed.

Anyhoo, do you think it would be cheaper to get a friend of mine in NY to go to Walmart and get it and send it to me, or shop directly from RH?

Many thanks.

I do most of my shopping through Joanns.com when they run they're 30-40% off all yarn sale with free shipping.

Since I don't know where 'over here' is - I really can't say.

You're also going to have to take the shipping to the UK from the US into consideration unless she's not asking for compensation.

How much of a price difference are we talking?

I don't the exact prices. All I know is that with RH, if I order directly through them, they do their shipping fees compared to the amount you buy. Fixed rates etc. I don't how the postal system works in the USA for personal packages.

as per our USPS.com website, shipping for a small flat rate international box is $16.95

Priority Mail® International Small Flat Rate Box**

Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00

USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

Maximum weight 4 pounds.

That's not a lot of yarn.

Medium, the next size up is a tad more expensive at $47.95:

Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate Box

USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"

Maximum weight 20 pounds.

Now the prices will be different if you have your own box, but hope this helps out.

8x5x1 fits a VHS tape.

It goes by the size of the box and by weight. For yarn you could vaccuum seal the air out of it and put it in a large manilla envelope. It'll still go by weight but it will be lighter without the box.

Check out USPS.com. They have shipping calculators.

Honestly, the easiest way to get it there would be to have someone buy it who is planning a trip to the UK and offer to pick them up at the airport :)

I'm partly serious. If you're on Ravelry, you might ask in one of the more active groups. Someone always seems to be coming or going from London. Even if they only take it that far, it has to be cheaper to post it within the country.

Archived