Softest WW Yarn?

Janie

I'd like to know what others prefer when it comes to a soft worsted weight yarn. I've been using Bernat Satin quite often and I like it, but was wondering about some different types that would be comparable in softness...or softer.

I've always loved Bernat Satin both for its price, feel, and availability. I too wonder if there's anything comprable. Are you thinking of any type fiber or just acrylic?

I'm thinking of any type of yarn, really. I do like the affordability of acrylics, but would like some ideas for those "extra special" projects, also.

"I Love This Yarn", at Hobby Lobby. It is amazing!!! So super soft, comes in so many colors now (I remember when it first came out, it wasn't popular and had few colors and was cheaper than Red Heart until everyone fell in love with it).

I'm thinking of any type of yarn, really. I do like the affordability of acrylics, but would like some ideas for those "extra special" projects, also.

When you say extra special projects, what sort of things do you have in mind?

For an afghan, the nicest yarn i have used is Berroco Comfort. It is very very soft, but not at all fuzzy, and has a great color range. It comes in worsted and dk weight i think. It is machine wash and dry which for me is a must for an afghan since i have nowhere i could lay an afghan out flat to dry.

For clothing, i like to use natural fibers, generally in dk or lighter weight. I can tell you about some of my faves in that category if that is what you are interested in:hook

When I say extra special projects, I'm referring to clothing for my grandchildren, mainly.

I Love This Yarn is awesome, Red Heart Soft is probably the most direct comparison to Bernat Satin. Some Caron Pound and Red Heart can be super soft too, but you definitely have to feel it, it's hit or miss

As far as "cheap" acrylic...I would go with I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. Malabrigo has the softest wool yarn in my opinion...but not good for children's clothes. Knit Picks also has great yarn. I have never been disapointed with anything I have bought from them.

For kids clothes, i assume you would want machine wash and dry-able yarn?

Superwash wool would be good for things that need to be warm. Dream in Color and Jojoland both have some gorgeous yarns

http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/

http://www.jojoland.com/

The mottled colors of DIC, and the long color changes of jojoland, look great in crochet.

DIC hat i made http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108833

Jojoland scarf by FrLopLady http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113022&highlight=Jojoland

Those are finer than worsted weight, but you can see how the colors look in crochet.

Eta, to clarify, not all dream in color yarns are superwash...Classy is the superwash worsted.

I would like the yarn to be washable. As for the dryer, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for all of the replies! There is no Hobby Lobby, here, in upstate NY, but I can order online. I will definitely give "I Love This Yarn" a try and hope to try some of the other suggestions, soon.

I would like the yarn to be washable. As for the dryer, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for all of the replies! There is no Hobby Lobby, here, in upstate NY, but I can order online. I will definitely give "I Love This Yarn" a try and hope to try some of the other suggestions, soon.

Where are you in "upstate" New York? I know that means a bunch of different places to many people. There is a Hobby Lobby right across the road from Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford. There is also one in Cicero, NY just down for Great Northern Mall.

I like the Brava line from Knitpicks. It comes in sport, worsted and bulky and it's $2.99 a skein. Very soft and comes in a lot of nice colors.

:manyheart

Where are you in "upstate" New York? I know that means a bunch of different places to many people. There is a Hobby Lobby right across the road from Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford. There is also one in Cicero, NY just down for Great Northern Mall.

I live about 38 miles north of Albany, NY, in Greenwich, NY. Unfortunately, there's no Hobby Lobby that I've ever heard of in this area...but thanks for the thought! :)

Archived